“Old, tired and dirty!”
Review of Topaz Beach Hotel

Topaz Beach Hotel
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Negombo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Old, tired and dirty sums up the room. I can forgive the old and tired parts as the bed was comfortable and the sheets and towels were clean. I would not have added the dirty part until I noticed the state of the pillows, which need burning, and the state under the bed. A good clean needed here. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location could not be better being directly on the beach. Beware the potential for charging for breakfast when you've paid for B&B. sloppy administration. I had to get my laptop out from my packed bags at checkout to prove that I had paid for B&B.

Won't go here again!

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank John S
There are newer reviews for Topaz Beach Hotel

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel is right on the beach with a pool so ideal if you want to spend a bit of time chilling out before or after your holiday in Sri Lanka. The rooms were adequate and had good storage and lighting, and the shower had plenty of hot water. The room was clean but needed sprucing up. There was damp on the walls in the bathroom. We had a room with good views of the beach. Some rooms at the front of the hotel may be noisy because on Saturday night there was a very noisy bar just opposite the hotel.
The food was fine but not wonderful. There were always lots of flies about and the food should have been covered up properly at breakfast.
However this hotel is fine for a stop off before the airport. It is near restaurants and only a half an hour drive to the airport

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The place is very old and tired. I'm pretty sure the pillows are as old as the hotel, they were mouldy and brown! So I slept without a pillow in a separate bed to my husband as the beds were single in the supposed double room we had booked. The rooms itself was giving me asthma attacks in the middle of the night, could have been the dirty mattress. The tap in the bathroom wouldn't work, and for two days we had no toilet paper, despite asking several times.
The food is very basic, and of all the hotels we stayed in Sri Lanka, breakfast was not included.
The service is below average, the manager thinks he's above his guests and can hardly find time to look you in the eye when you are asking a question at reception. The pool is so chlorinated that is stung my whole body when I got in it. The hotel itself is old and dirty.
With all the competition if hotels rising in the area I think they need to seriously lift their game.

The booking website we used said that we need to 'hurry' as there was apparently only a few rooms left. However we got here and the hotel is not even at 1/4 capacity.

I highly recommend staying else where on your trip to Negombo. Especially if you're looking for something a bit nicer when you're first arriving or leaving to the airport.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mandala88
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I spent 1 night in Negombo to relax and have a shower after the flight. I saw the reviews on tripadvisor which didnt look so bad. At this price I was expecting something much better than this.

No hot water in the bathroom, Cockroaches in the hallway, many mosquitoes, dirty sheets, dirty towels, uncomfortable bed. No soundproof so when anybody in the hotel wakes up, he wakes up the whole hotel.

Room Tip: My room was supposed to have a view on the beach there was just a view on the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank totitof
Reviewed 12 February 2014

A very reasonably priced hotel, with a excellent view of the beach from any room. Every morning we were greeted by the friendly staff members who were more than willing to make our stay comfortable. The hotel is located near the airport which allowed us to travel there without a hassle. The hotel offers pickups and drop offs to many destinations in Sri Lanka. The overall atmosphere was excellent

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here before flying out at 2am and the reason we paid the over priced rate was to have a hot shower before boarding our 11 hr flight home. But at 21h00 when we returned from dinner there was no hot water. We were promised that it would be sorted out only to wake at 1am to find only COLD water. And with a little 2 year old this was NOT ideal! We were greeted with a couldn't-care-less attitude on our approach to the front desk and left really angry at paying $70 for a horrid room with NO hot water. The hotel itself was filled with strange guests and the whole place had a 'Twilight Zone' feel to it. And I havent even mentioned the fact that we got no sleep at all because the hotel is situated right opposite the LOUDEST night club in Negombo - horrid! DEFINITELY DO NOT recommend this place. Try ANY of the other places in Negombo, they HAVE to be better!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank LisaWynne
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Title says it all. Lots of rooms but very few pool lounges and people hogged not one but two for themselves. Pool was filthy with bits of algae floating in it. Very cloudy water requiring a decent dose of chlorine. We booked this for the pool as we had a couple of nights to kill before flying out late at night. We paid for 2 nites with a deluxe room for a 27 hour stay. They couldn't give us a deluxe room on our first night but after arguing with 3 different staff members they gave us $15 USD but tried to dumb this down to $10. The standard and deluxe rooms were ordinary and overpriced compared with other places we stayed at in Sri Lanka. The beach itself was okay and there are some good restaurants nearby. I would not eat the breakfast here as the flies were landing all over the buffet. I would not go back to this property even if it was free. I think the pictures I took are enough to suggest that this property is pretty awful.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple