“Quite possibly the worst hotel”

Paradise Holiday Village
Ranked #30 of 41 Hotels in Negombo
London, United Kingdom
“Quite possibly the worst hotel”
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Close to airport

Cons:
See below.

Stayed here for one night. I'm
Surprised I even lasted that long. End of my 12 nights in Sri Lanka. Night before airport. Arrive mid afternoon, say goodbye to my driver and I'm brought a welcome drink. Waiter brings me double shot of rum. I'm surprised. I say really? For me? Best welcome drink ever. Turns out the waiter misheard welcome drink for double rum?? Then tries to charge me 550 rupees. Considering I bought a bottle for 800 it wasn't happening. I was on holiday and mistakes happen. But don't fool me. Then dinner. I was half board basis. The menu was a joke. I stayed at 5 different hotels on my trip and the food was superb. This however...I was told that I can only order fish fingers. How can they not have Sri Lankan curry?! I don't eat meat so I asked for the manager. He said I could order seafood pizza and vegetable soup. Well the soup was disgusting. The pizza? Not sure what seafood was there, as I saw 1 prawn. Also, someone decided to sit at MY table, with a kettle in one hand and smoking? How dare he? No one said anything. Of course I told him to leave. Then the room. Actually nice. Got bit to pieces from Mosquitos. I was facing the main road. Did not sleep all night as noise from traffic and workers speaking outside my room until early hours. Then breakfast. A terrible buffet. Highlight was an omelette Which was quite good. Shame my trip ended in this horrible place. Would not recommend.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank FRMason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Sackville, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Fairly clean but basic accommodation. As with anywhere on the subcontinent, there may be some bugs to be put up with and equipment malfunctions but the staff seem to be willing to do quick repairs as required. The restaurant food is good and prices/portions reasonable. If possible, get a room away from the main road and it will be quieter! Good basic accommodation for transit passengers...not far from the airport in Colombo and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Free wifi is at the reception area only.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank D0nna14
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We paid $55 for a mini-apartment (kitchen area with huge fridge!) including breakfast and it was a perfect place for our final two nights in sri lanka. We had a large room, lots of storage space and hangers to hang up your clothes. We also had a mini-veranda/porch area with table and chairs to sit out on.

The staff were all very friendly and attentive, there were even security staff around 24 hours a day. The pool was clean and a decent size.

Breakfast was a buffet, with lots of choice - sri lankan or western style. We ate lunch there once and that was also good. Lots of different choices and reasonably priced and decent sized portions.

It's a short walk to Lords restaurant, a wine shop, the beach, we got a tuk-tuk to Negombo fish market for 300 LKR.

The hotel organised a car to take us to the airport for 1800 LKR, the driver was there in plenty of time and dropped us right outside. All very well organised.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsdutchburger
London
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Staff are very welcoming and always smiling. Rooms are pretty basic but very spacious and nice and clean, nice pool area and the chefs special (I chose prawn) was very very nice and cost around £4.50. I had the local fish for dinner and was a similar price. Breakfast is buffet style with eggs and omelette to order. Would be happy to stay again and only a road behind the beach which is nice, although monsoon here at the minute.

Stayed August 2014
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I couldn't help but laughing at some of the bad reviews (typically written by Indians)...

I am not sure what they expect from a budget transit hotel that typically caters for passengers who stay for less than 24 hours (maybe caviar and champagne on arrival?)...

The Hotel isn't my idea of 'paradise' as rooms are basic but it is money well spent considering that the rooms are clean and that has a large, clean pool and is a 2 minute walk to the beach.

Best of all the drive from the airport took only 15 minutes.
There are plenty of shops nearby where you can stock up on water and fruit and a tourist police station just 40 meters from the entrance so it is completely safe!

The staff was relaxed and friendly.
The young, slim guy at the reception was very helpful. I needed to print a boarding card for a flight I was catching the next day (the hotel has a printer but it is ancient so best to avoid!) and he arranged a tuk tuk for me that took me to a really nice, air conditioned internet center. It was about 6 or 7 minutes down the road and the tuk tuk driver waited for me, then drove me back and I was charged only 3 Euros for the return trip!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Not Your B
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We had a very pleaseant 3 day stay at this hotel.
Nice straff, clean facilities and very good prices.
The restaurant was good but i would recommend the small coffe shop across the street, they had banana pancakes to die for:-)

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Simon C
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 21 May 2014

1. Willingness to surpass expectations even without the guest asking for it. 2. Extremely Flexible staff from rank to file. 3. Even after you think that the job is 100% done the staff is making effort

Everything was superb. Hygiene, Facilities working, Helpful Staff, No expectation of any extra money, flexible menu, etc. etc. If the rooms were not of a 5 Star category, neither did the rooms make you feel they r not. nice big rooms, spacious clean toilets, clean pool, well done restaurant with attentive restaurant manager, proactive reception staff, accommodating room service, dutiful housekeeping, personal touch from the higher management. Its a great place for a comfortable stay be it with family, friends, newly married, business, solo tourists or whatever. BOOK THE ROOMS - DONT THINK TWICE Thank you Paradise Holiday Village Hotel for taking such good care of my family and me.

Room Tip: There are many permutations and combinations like a studio room, one bedroom, two bed room etc etc...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family