“It's Perfect for 1st Timers!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negombo
New York Beach Club
Ranked #127 of 272 Negombo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here last November 2012,,, The owner, Mary was really accommodating, plus there is a Dj in the house what more could you ask for hehehe,,, its very near to the beach and the room was well maintained, clean and cheap. I would Love to go back here if ever.
Two Thumbs Up NYBC! See u soon! :)

Room Tip: i got the room on the right side as you enter the main door
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We loved this place, we booked for 11 nights and enjoyed every single one of them. As others have said if you are looking for luxury then you might be disappointed but if you are looking for clean and comfy then look no further. What really makes the NYBC a winner is the outstanding hospitality of the staff and nothing is to much to ask for. Breakfast is delicious, cooked to order and served with a smile and great conversation. We enjoyed a pot of tea most afternoons and even had our laundry done free of charge. Ideally situated for all the local restaurants and bars but far enough away to avoid the noise. In 11 nights we were only kept awake once and then only till 1am. The WiFi worked well in the room and on the patio breakfast area. The beach is a 3 minute walk and the hotel has a deal with a local beachside hotel where for 800 Rs a day you can use the sun beds and pool. All in all a great hotel at a very competitive price with great service.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony, nice to sit on the balcony with a drink before going out for dinner.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

The place is more a home stay than a hotel. They had some four rooms in all. Madhu is extremely friendly and spent a whole lot of time chatting up. The others are good too. The place is clean. The rooms have air con but they did not work well. Plus there wasn't a fan. So, with the poor Ac and no fan, wasn't too comfortable a stay. Also, there are frequent power cuts in the locality. On my second day, there was no power the entire day and they did not have power back up. They did not bother to make any alternate arrangements and did not bother to offer a discount. As a result, I had to stay outdoors for most of the day.

By any standards, the place is pricey. The place had a good rating kn bookings.com which in my opinion is not a right indicator.

Breakfast was functional. Teas were nice and liberal.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank vnshiju
Reviewed 2 January 2014

NYBC is a typical Sri Lankan guesthouse. Owners are very nice and helpful. Deluxe room I stayed at had everything that is necessary - shower (though not always hot), AC (worked well), comfortable bed, nice balcony where breakfast was served. There is parking space and wifi also. Guesthouse is located 2 min walk to the beach and many shops, cafes and restaurants nearby. Negombo City is 7 min by tuk ruk (200-250 rupees). Just do not expect luxury/European standards accommodation and you'll certainly have a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

After staying one night in a sub standard place nearby, we switched to N.Y. Beach Club Guest House and were very pleased with the change. We actually payed less and got significantly more! The owners are lovely people and they made sure we were comfortable. Their food is good and reasonably priced, Our room was quiet, very comfortable. Having A.C. is a plus. As in all other places we have visited in India and Sri Lanka on this trip, tourism is down so you can negotiate prices for rooms. By the way, the owners recommended Bobby's Travel nearby to hire a driver to head inland and we were thrilled with this company- great advice.

Room Tip: We stayed on first floor- very quiet and comfortable. No issues with mosquitoes, but there was a mo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisCarmen5556
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I selected this place as my flight came in very late and I was leaving early the next morning. I just needed a quick, easy and cheap place to stay for one night.

Unfortunately, they forgot to send someone to pick me up at the airport (which I had pre-scheduled and even re-confirmed the day before I left). So I got in REALLY late after someone at the airport helped me call, find out what happened and then hire a cab.

Hotel seemed pleasant on the outside with a little covered outdoor eating area out front. But when I was being shown to the room, there was a giant dead cockroach on the stairs which the guy just kicked away as we went by. Then there was another one on the floor outside the room next to mine (it was still there in the morning when I left).

The room was simple but seem to be in need of repairs. The AC was really loud, had only one setting and was high up on the wall. So all night I was climbing up and down a bookshelf to turn it on and off as it got too cold, then too hot. There was a hot water heater, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work and didn't have time to go find someone so I took a cold shower.

I didn't really stay long enough to get more of an impression, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to a friend. I stayed a much nicer places elsewhere in Sri Lanka for less than I paid here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SingWeiss
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The proprietors are lovely and rooms and cheap. The grounds and common areas are clean and well kept but the room we stayed in was not. Bathroom was filthy and no hot water with a thermal blanket on the bed as our cover. Bugs were all over the place as well but we think this may be a negombo thing

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PhilipFiona
Mary S, Owner at New York Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Hello Sir/Mam

I thank you for your review. I will like to politely respond to your review.I do wish that you had inform us beforehand of the situations that displeased you and the amenities you did not like. These things could have been corrected on the spot. The blanket we could have easily remove and provide you with another cover. The blanket is placed on your bed as a means of bed decoration and also many people request it because of the cold A/C. Also we wished you had notified us of any bugs in your room because this is an unusual situation for us. We did check for bugs and we did not find any. This is the first time I have heard of this situation. You may have seen some little harmless ants which is pretty much common in Sri Lanka. . Also you mentioned your room was not cleaned. This I dont clearly understand what you meant becase we will never issue an unclean room to a Guest. Maybe you meant that our room did not meet your expected standard. Also do bear in mind that our place is a Family Owned Guest House and not a 5 Star Hotel. Thank you