“Needs a revamp”

Camelot Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Negombo
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I booked this hotel as I was going with family and thought it would be a safe bet as its a large hotel on the beach. Apart from having a nice view the rooms were really basic, not very clean and everything (including the pool, bar area and buffet area) looked as through they were last updated in the 70's but not in a good way!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NKelly186338

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We spent our last 2 nights here and we found the rooms clean and the breakfast nice, that's as far as it went.

I went for an early morning walk on the beach were I was confronted by a man who was exposing himself, he was using vulgar language and He followed me. I ran to the motel and advises the staff who shrugged their shoulders.

The staff were far more concerned about their pool towels I was accused of taking a towel to my room twice. They spend their time watching the towels, the staff were rude and unfriendly.

Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Shazzamagazza
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I have so many issues with my 2 night stay at this hotel.

Firstly when checking out they demanded I pay for the room which I had already paid. They got insistant which is understandable if i had but even if i had it is unacceptable for a member of staff to threaten me. Only we I said to call the police they admitted that actually they had made a mistake and yes I was right when i said I had indeed paid in advance. No apology was made to this error or the threats.

Secondly my room key didn't have a keyring on it. When I returned it the staff member said it had and rang the manager who told me to pay for something I haven't lost. After a pointless call of 5minutes of him claiming he wasnt calling me a liar but I'd need to pay for the keyring the receptionist said actually the previous guest lost it and they haven't replaced it. No apology from anyone for this.

Thirdly I asked for a bike to rent for 3 weeks. A staff member told me his friend would meet me 5min walk away the next day to show me his bikes. So I waited there 30min and no one turned up. I went back to the hotel and asked to speak to the manager. They said ok and would tell me when he was free but they never did. They did however arrange another man to show me bikes. This man was very shady and when I came back I said to the staff to call him and say I was fine. What did they do? They let him into the bar to find me. He argued with me and made me very uncomfortable.

Finally upon arrival the receptionist was adament I hadn't booked as my name wasn't on her screen. It was the 4th name down...

So other than them trying to double charge me, accusing me of theft, making me wait by the road 30min for no one to turn up and letting a man into the hotel who I asked not to as he ended up trying to force me into agreeing to rent a bike for 3x the market rate in a locked garage and not getting an apology it was ok. The staff make a good gin and tonic.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank UnluckyTransfer
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were at Camelot during last month for a day.Had Break fast and lunch.Not the best variety of food you get these days in many hotels.But food was tasty and nice for our palate.Love to have more deserts with lunch buffet.Staff and service was great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tmh-dsd
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights at the start of hotel and found it excellent value for money. Perfect location, big clean rooms and the pool is just the perfect way to get over a long flight! The staff were attentive and service was great. Would absolutely recommend!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fionanmcl
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I will never recommend this hotel to any of my friends who will be visiting to Sri Lanka and traveling around the country. They were very irresponsible about their services and PR . It was really embarrassing for us that who ever the so called manager didn't allow our ladies to use the swimming pool without bikinis, even though they were wearing long swimming suite. How can they be so rude to the guest and say such a harsh comment saying "we are not giving the pool to muslim ladies with out wearing bikinis, and finally they say it is the management decision" even the top management didn't attend this issue very serious because by that time we have already paid.

Room Tip: Will never recommend for Muslims Travelers
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hanstourist
Camelot-Beach, Owner at Camelot Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Sir,

Firstly let me apologise for the miscommunication in our policies. It is not, that we do not allow Muslim ladies to enter the pool unless they are wearing bikinis, it is that we do not allow anyone to enter unless they are wearing proper swim attire.

Secondly, let me apologise for my staff’s unawareness of the attire that is correct for Muslim ladies. This is a genuine case of inexperience. Be assured that this issue will not be repeated.

Thank you for choosing Camelot and I do hope that you will return and enjoy our facilities to the fullest.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

It was the first hotel in Sri Lanka were we stayed and everything was great specially the breakfast. Camelot beach Hotel were very well located-next to the beach. We had many nice dinners on there, Negombo was special about the beach restaurant area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple