“Nice Place”

Ranked #37 of 43 Hotels in Negombo
Växjö, Sweden
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We stayed at Sea Garden four nights and had a very good time there. Nice staf and exelent service. We will come back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LOJohansson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I decided to fly on Srilankan from Dubai to Kuala Lumpur and back on economy class as I wanted to experience the Sri Lankan hospitality and also I was promised a layover in Sri Lanka at a 3 star hotel on my return and I was really very excited as this was my first visit to your lovely country. However the ordeal just begun when LSR (the local handling agent of Srilankan) put me in a dingy no star hotel called Sea Garden Hotel. Let me tell you all what happened:

1) The hotel has the Chef acting as the receptionist and the bell boy and all staff were so shabbily dressed that I doubt even if this was a hotel and think it was more of a lodge. The staff there besides being shabby had no slippers on as well. This is absolutely unusual for a star hotel. I even confirmed with the LSR staff before leaving for this hotel if this was a 3-star hotel and they responded positively - cheats.
2) I was taken to my room which was in a worst state I have even been into. The wash basin tap was broken, the toilet seat and shower was in a degraded condition and there was no phone or wardrobe, besides no internet connectivity.
3) The back of my room was connected to a staff quarters – which really got me worried about my security in the hotel.
4) For dinner they offered me rice with dal which I told them was absolutely unacceptable.
5) I was the ONLY passenger in the coach who was put at this dingy hotel.

I was so desperate at this state that I had to use my roaming Dubai mobile to call the Sri Lankan Airport Office and after 10 minutes of lines being transferred from one person to another, the call finally landed with Somesh / Kumar from LSR who promised to change my hotel asap – what a joy it was to me!

Within half an hour a vehicle came in and transferred me to Browns Beach Hotel which definitely looked like a 3 star hotel and also had a scrumptious buffet dinner and breakfast.

Unless if you are desperate or need to sneak away with a prostitute to a hideaway - only then come to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sgtravelwiz

Travellers are raving about these Negombo hotels

colombo
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Sea Garden Hotel is a cosy beach summer house situated in the coastal town of Negombo and offers an atmosphere of pleasantness and quiet comfort where guests can enjoy the dazzling tropical sun, sea and sand at budget prices.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank camipop
Cleveland Ohio USA
Reviewed 27 August 2006

There is no denying that to get a room on a beautiful beach for $16 is an amazing bargain. And there's no denying that you get what you pay for!!

So, since we had realistic expectations of what $16 would buy us, even in Sri Lanka, this review is based on our rating for a $16 property, not a comparison to the Hyatt or Hilton.

Pros- very helpful, solicitous service. Gorgeous location. Delicious, reasonaby priced food. 10-12 minutes from airport.
Decent sized room.

Cons- No hot water, or should I say, hot water at specific times of the day, just not when we were there.

Since we were just there after arriving on a late night flight leaving first thing in the morning, it was fine for a bed and cool shower.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank beaubo
london
Reviewed 30 August 2005

I felt I should warn others of this so called hotel, although I would personally not give it the honour of such a title.

I went here with Page and Moye (a company i would never travel with again as I am vehmentley disgusted at how they could promote such a cess pit) a couple of years ago and could not even bring myself to unpack. It took me five minutes to decide that the broken furniture, filthy room and mouldy bathroom was uninhabitable. The final straw was the very large air vent from the bathroom which at head height allowed any guests wandering the hallway to get a good view of you on the toilet!

Negombo itself is a delightful, rustic village well worthy of a stay. If you are looking for acceptable accomadation in Negombo I would reccomend you try Browns Beach or the Blue Marine

• Stayed February 1999
5 Thank lulublue23
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 July 2005

Convenient budget hotel in Negombo. Staff is very friendly and flexible in case you have got special circumstances (I was staying there on a study trip in april 2004). Breakfast is very simple but the lunch-menu is much better (lunch not included). Prices are low in comparison to hotels with more stars. A mosquito net, and anti-mosquito evaporator is present in every room. Everyday your room is being cleaned and you get a new thermos jug with boiled (so drinkable) water.
At some moments the hot water supply of the shower is interrupted but that is not a big problem regarding the high temperatures.
The hotel doesn't have a swimming pool but guests of the Sea Garden hotel are allowed to swim in the pool of the neigbour hotel (of the same Hotel chain but with more stars).
Overall the perfect budget hotel in Negombo.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member