“Great place and very helpful”
Review of Al Nakheel Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palmyra
Al Nakheel Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Palmyra
Abilene, Texas
“Great place and very helpful”
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We had a delightful time staying at this hotel. Mohamed Homidan, the manager, was very helpful in making our stay pleasant and he also assisted us with finding transportation to get from Palmyra to Jordan. We rode the camels into the desert and spent the night in a Bedouin tent and it was one of the most delightful experiences of our entire trip. All this was arranged by Mohamed. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as it certainly was an excellent value and the staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was nicely decorated in a Bedouin tent style. We loved the experience.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ellieha

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2011

I have been to this hotel before and just want to say how pleased I am that I returned during a trip to Damascus to study Arabic. Easily the most welcoming place I have stayed in in Syria. This is not a luxury hotel, it is a family run hotel with comfortable beds, clean bathrooms and the most lovely, helpful staff. Although I did have a problem operating the room heater, I'm fairly sure it was my own ineptitude with modern technology that was the issue. All the staff go out of their way to assist and offered me a different room without me even asking. I love the Bedouin style decor and it was particularly cosy in winter with the twinkly lights and a steaming hot cup of flower tea.
I also must recommend that if you stay here, you ask the hotel about trips to the desert. Although a night spent in the desert is really magical and not to be missed, you can also just spend the evening there which is very good value.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Lucindawightman
Dublin
Reviewed 28 February 2011

This is a great place to spend time in while in Palmyra!!! The decor is unusual and homely. The people who run it are all very helpful and interested. Breakfast is lovely although I would leave plenty of time for it. If needed, then drivers can be arranged by the hotel which makes a much needed escape from the touts around the town.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank emcdub
Munich
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Conveniently located within in walking distance to shops and restaurants as well as the ruins. We could park in front of the hotel. When we arrived they could not find our reservation (2 double rooms) although we had exchanged various emails with Mohammed. It seems to be a good idea to re-confirm. Nevertheless we got the rooms, I think they were hoping that others wouldn't show up later in the afternoon. The whole B&B is nicely decorated (arabian style) and everybody is very friendly. Breakfast is ok with jam, arabian bread, and omelette. The rooms are ok, bathroom basic and very small but clean. Rather noisy due to the location in the center.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank LuneMUC
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2011

The friendly warm-looking reception (as per website) is probably the high point of the hotel.

Room was clean, but both sheets and towels had holes in them. Toes got caught in the holes in the sheets and enlarged them!

"Hot" water never got better than lukewarm.

Price was 1800 SYP = US$40 for a twin-bed room. This included breakfast which was basic, but OK.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BMA3644
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Having read the latest (quite disturbing) update, I felt the need to write my first Trip Advisor review.

I stayed at the Al Nakheel Hotel for 3 nights over the Christmas period. I found it to be basic but very clean, with excellent service from the manager and his staff. It is certainly not luxurious, but the value for money is excellent.

As a solo traveller, I was a little concerned that a woman on her own in Syria may attract unwanted attention, but the opposite was true at the Al Nakheel. I was never made to feel uncomfortable, even on the overnight desert trip (which was fantastic!). The treatment I received was nothing short of discreet, friendly and professional.

I hope my review does something to balance the scales a little, and that other women are not put off this hotel. It really is a little gem in the wonderful Palmyrian desert. Make sure you try out their breakfast omelettes!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MsAdventures
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 23 December 2010

Mohammed arranged at camelback ride through the desert at night for me and my friend. We are both women in our 30th. What could have been a great and beautiful experience turned out to be a rather frustrating one, since we spend a lot of time fighting of hands, especially Mohammeds. It was very unpleasant staying at the hotel after that. I would recommend spending a little extra money and stay at Zenobia instead.

Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank wilburryoslo

Been to Al Nakheel Hotel? Share your experiences!