“A very warm and friendly hotel with comfortable, clean rooms and wonderful food.”
Review of Al Nakheel Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Palmyra
Al Nakheel Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Palmyra
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I highly recommend this hotel with it's good value clean rooms and extremely helpful staff. Although the hotel does not have a restaurant as such, if you ask at reception their chef Hassan will make you a delicious evening meal. They will do anything for you to make your trip as special and easy as possible, including organising camel rides, drivers (if that's what you want), phoning ahead to make a reservation at your next destination and taking you to the desert for a night under the stars. It's a shame the review from the 19th October about the trip to the desert is so negative - I personally went on the trip myself and it was fantastic! I have been to similar things in other countries and this definitely was the best. I paid 45 Euros for the experience and would pay that again if I had the opportunity. The price includes everything and I obviously didn't have to pay for my room back at the hotel. I guess if you were staying elsewhere, then paying for the trip and your room at another hotel is fairly pricey but I would just check out for the night. The desert camp is definitely a MUST DO if you go to Palmyra. Wonderful home cooked food, traditional music and dancing and the choice to stay for the night if you so wish. It is also an opportunity to speak to people who live in Palmyra and gain some insight into Syrian life there. The tent is Bedouin style, very beautifully set out and the staff provide bed linen and cosy blankets for the cold desert nights. Sitting out next to the fire and staring up at the starry sky was an amazing experience and better than a night in any hotel - worth every penny!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Lucindawightman

Northumberland
Reviewed 1 November 2010

This is a great hotel with helpful staff. Its a 15 minute walk to the site,
The rooms are basic but comfortable for the money.
Mohammed organised our time really well and arranged transport to see the tombs and sunset from the castle.
We got up at 4.30am walk to th site to see sunrise, it really is a must do experience. We had a great breakfast on our return.
There is a good restaurant / cafe just round the corner that mohammed recommended.
This is a really good option for staying in Palmerya, basic but clean and traditional.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We (4 people - two couples) stayed at the desert camp through Al Nakheel in early October. We had a similar experience as the person with the October 19, 2010 review. The desert camp was a great experience. In fact, it was better than camps that we stayed at in Jordan. I would say that anyone staying in Palmyra should do it - and it's easiest booked through the Al Nakheel (I had a really hard time finding other camps). That said, if you can find the experience through another group, go for it. We had a great time, but it wasn't necessarily due to the staff at the Al Nakheel. Despite organizing things in advance and creating a very set plan of activities, we showed up and the hotel quickly changed our plan without telling us. When we pointed out that the plan wouldn't work with our schedule, they just told us that they knew best and that it would work. The same thing happened when we went to pay - they told us a rate, despite having agreed on a different rate online. They were somewhat willing to negotiate, but then implied that we were trying to wiggle out of the bill. All in all, it was a great experience. I wish it had been with a different organizer though.

If you can't find the trip elsewhere, bring a printout of everything that you've agreed to (knowing that they'll probably change it anyway), and stick to your guns. You'll have a good time in the desert.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 19 October 2010

We were disappointed by the Al-Nakhleel after we had read v good reviews on tripadvisor. We were only in Palmyra for 1 night, and granted we actually didn't stay in the hotel but at the desert camp. We got there late afternoon, and after sunset went out to their night camp for dinner (delicious) and we actually decided to stay overnight, and leave the following morning.

The big downer on the stay was the price that we were quoted for staying in the desert instead of in our hotel room the following morning on checkout. We had asked what the price of the night dinner and stay would be, and were repeatedly told not to worry and "to just pay what you think is right". We asked a few times but didnt get any firm price. So we returned the next morning to see that they were trying to charge us (a couple) 50 euros each (!!!!) for dinner and staying on a desert floor. Our hotel room would have been £25 for the both of us. We bargained them down to 40 euros each after saying "but we slept on the floor", but still had that nasty feeling that we had been taken for a ride and conned out of money. Shame really - put a dampener on things. It was an amazing experience to sleep under stars but the experience was slightly ruined.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We visited Syria in Sept 2010 and based on reviews on Trip Advisor and the appearance of the hotel on the web site. Talk about disappointment. The lobby was drastically different than what appeared on the web site. Photoshop can do wonders. Our
room appeared to be relatively clean but there was a distinct odour of sewer gas. The toilet leaked whenever we flushed it. When we turned on the hot water tap no water came out. When I went to report this and have it fixed I wastold it is summer, they don't have hot water. I thought he was joking but he was serious. It was a horrible experience. We travelled through Syria Jordan and Israel. This was the worst place we stayed.

• Stayed September 2010
UK
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We had tried to get into all of the posher hotels in Palmyra and failed so ended up here thanks to trip advisor, paying considrerably less than we'd intended. We upgraded, and got a very good deal, to get the suite at the top with beautiful view of the ruins. Its also a bit higher above the street so less noisey and we slept well. This hotel is quirky (everything done out bedouin style,) basic and fun. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is great, Mohamed has very good english so they were really easy to book with. It is not luxurious and there are minor grips- shower runs at a dribble even though the water pressure is fine, but there is no plug to run a bath. Hole in the wall next to the sink with possibly live wires inside?- would be a worry if you had kids and this was the family room. Having said that it was very good for the price we paid. Palmyra is fab. We stayed two nights and are pleased we did. Get up before sunrise, stay away from the tour buses and walk through the valley of the tombs- you wont regret it. We ate at The Traditional Palmyra restaurant on the main drag which was very good.
A warning- do not use Reservations Team Syria/ 24 Hours Booking, a Greek company that stung us for £800 before we left. We got the money back from our credit card co but the operation is a scam.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I had spent 3 weeks travelling through Turkey and Syria and found Palmyra to be an extremely beautiful place and a highlight of any trip to Syria. However, the competition from the local hotels can be very irritating on arrival. I was set on staying at Al Nakheel Hotel but the local taxis driver seemed to have better ideas and was keen to take me to a hotel where he would receive commission. I was delighted however that I had insisted on Al Nakheel. On arrival the taxis driver followed me into the hotel expecting commission (which could potentially add 10% to the price of the room) he was politely informed that they did not operate on commission.
The warm welcome, clean rooms, good breakfasts, endless tea, a lovely roof terrace overlooking the ruins and citadel, authentic interior, well informed local knowledge from the hosts, adventures in the star lit desert and other surrounding trips, all inspired me to stay far longer in this restful place than I had planned !
It was a pleasure to stay at Al Nakheel Hotel and I have no hesitation in recommending it as a wonderful base not only to explore Palmyra but also the rest of Syria.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank SyrianTravel

Been to Al Nakheel Hotel? Share your experiences!