“homestay-feel, centrally located with good wifi”
Review of Mistro Homestay

and 1 more site!
Mistro Homestay
Ranked #448 of 1,613 Hualien County B&B and Inns
Petaling Jaya
“homestay-feel, centrally located with good wifi”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

It's like staying at home, there's a living room, a dining table and a kitchen for your convenience: hot/cold water, fridge, kitchen utensils are all provided. There are even books for you to read.

Breakfast is to be pre-ordered from a nearby cafe. Mistro gives each guest TW$50 value of breakfast, anything more than that, you have to top up yourself. You can choose to dine at the cafe which is within walking distance, or have your food sent over. We opted for the later as we had old folks around who preferred not to walk out.

We had the family quad room, it's clean and spacious with small fridge inside and bottled mineral water. There's a balcony too overlooking the streets nearby. Owners are friendly and helpful. They provide pickup service from Hualien train station too (I overheard them telling a guest). I'm not sure about the convenience of public transportation here as we had our own driver.

Only downside is it is three-storey. If you have difficulty climbing, do ask for ground/1st floor room upon booking.

Room Tip: Old folks pls ask for rooms on lower floors. The Japanese-theme room next to the kitchen has an '...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This minsu is reasonably priced, and offers comfort for travellers. The room i had was a decent size and it was clean. The bathroom was a decent size as well.

Although its about 15 minutes away from the Hualien Train station on foot, the location its in is nice and quiet.

Kimi, the Minsu owner, is friendly and very helpful. She has lots of tips on what to do, what to see and what to eat in Hualien.

Room Tip: If you have large luggage, try asking for rooms on the 2nd level so that you dont have to carry your...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Den Bosch
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Walking distance from the station (10 min). I discovered that hualien's streets are quite easy to recognise so you will find your way quickly to this place. Tim welcomed me. Since I was in a hurry to see taroko gorge and buses do not go regularly, Tim decided to bring me to the station. I already asked him information about cycling in taroko in advance and he presented me a nice idea by renting a bike from silks place hotel at tian xiang (the final stop of the tariko busline). He also told me that i can return the bike in hualien (very handy if you want to explore hualien such as the beach (15 min). You can also bring back the bike to the nearest trainstation next to taroko , it will safe you a journey of 26 km back to hualien.

Back at mistro , Tim pointed out where to eat nice dumplings in the center against affordable prices (I am Dutch after all). I also visited the night market (ziqiang) outside the center. Both places are easy to reach by bike (15-20 min). Tim and Kimmy surprised me with a nice tiramisu cake in the late evening because of my birthday. I was really surprised :)
The room is good, a soft bed with a private bathroom. The only bad thing was that it takes a while before you get warm water. Internet connection is good.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Walking distance from the train station (5-10 minutes i'd say), this nice and cozy Homestay was the most comfy stay in our 12 day incursion in Taiwan. The couple who run it was very friendly and the room we got was clean, comfy and convenient. One of the days we even got a sweet local delicacy as a present from our hosts! For breakfast you get two bouchers for a nearby breakfast place, where you choose both western and chinese dishes. You need to walk a bit to get to the center, but that was part of the fun for us.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 December 2012

After a business trip I went to see more of Taiwan. Since I had only 6 days for myself I went to some of the highlights. One of those highlights was the Taroko-gorge. I found out that the easiest way was to take the Tarogo hop-on hop-off bus in Hualien. Hualien itself is not so special (sorry) however the hotel I stayed in made it special for me. When I arrived after a short walk (10 minutes) from the train station I almost past the house. It has just a small sight but when I came in I was overwhelmed by friendliness (and I'm not easy to overwhelm ;-) ) Before I could introduce myself the young landlord (Tim) and his lovely girlfriend (Kimmy) asked me if I had dinner already. Since this was not the case they took me to the night market (by taxi) and gave me the best things I had eaten in these 2 weeks. Coffin cake and spring role, fresh orange juice cold sweet milk tea. When we came back (I had to force my money on them to pay for the taxi and the food) they discussed with me all the ways to go to the gorge. I stuck with my plan to use the bus but they also came up with the idea to go by scooter or taxi (both is doable but since I’m Dutch I go for the cheapest way ;-))
After a small breakfast (I was given a menu to pick from the night before: toast, beagle, tea etc ) I went to the train station to take the bus. Although the Lonely Planet and the rough guide say that you cannot buy 1 or 2 day bus passes, you can!! Just not where the busses are stopping. Go to the other side of the park to the orange house (when you exit the train station, on the left) . They do sell day-passes!!
The gorge is beautiful. Try to get away from the crowd (some trails are quite lonely) and you will not only see spectacular views but also wildlife (if you don’t see monkeys at least once you are either blind or way too loud).
After coming back I went to the same night market. Although that had eaten already they wanted to take me again but I rejected and they settled for written instructions (in Chinese). They arranged a taxi (100 NT$ ≈ €2,50) and I went to the night market again. The people on the marked recognized me and I was given the same treat as the night before. Again great food.
The next day I went to the gorge again to visit some sights I hadn’t seen (Eternal Spring Shrine). I left my luggage at the Mistro Homestay (no problem) and when I returned I could also take a shower (although I had checked out). When I asked Tim where I could find a certain souvenir he almost forced me to get on the moped with him and we went looking in me several places. We came back with only something special to eat (again ;-) ) .
After that I wanted to leave the house and walk to the station but that was out of the question! Tim wanted to take me there himself so we went by moped.
In short: I never met such a hospitable and friendly homestay as the Mistro Homestay. The room was OK! Big bed, shower and wifi. It was very clean. The hosts were very very friendly , forthcoming and eager to fulfill every wish that you have. Hualien was my best experience in Taiwan because of Tim and Kimmy!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2012

There are several good reviews on Trip Advisors website. I chose to stay here after looking the reviews. Similar to my preview review on another hotel in Hualien. I agree with some of the review but I am not satisfied. I stayed for 2 nights with my family, so we booked a double room adding one bed to the room. Checking in on 25th May 2012 and checking out on the 27th May 2012 for NT2300 per night.

Booking process

It was quite simple, just email the owner who goes by the name of Claire and she will reply you within a day. Or you can give her a call too. You would need to pay 50% deposit upon confirmation. What irked me was that she mentioned that there are only 2 rooms available. If I don’t book now, it may be too late. But when we turn up on 25th, we are the only family there. On the 26th there were one family and another couple. So I don’t think it was full occupancy eh.

Checking In

Mistro Homestay offers pick up service but be sure to let the owner know beforehand. It was mentioned that it was free on most reviews but the website only mentioned that they provide this service. So they may decide to charge a fee in the future. Claire did not even mention about it and emailed me “see you at the homestay”. Only until I asked, then she said she will pick me up.

Facilities

There are not much facilities to talk about. The room was pretty simple. It was more of a place to sleep in and I think you pay mainly for the location as it was located near the train station.
I was assigned a room on the first level as my mum is not comfortable with climbing stairs. The toilet was location outside the room instead of inside. Therefore being at level 1, some guest may “borrow” your toilet for use.

There is nothing much in my room except for a television, tissue box and 2 really small tables. No chairs, nothing else. The refrigerator mentioned on the website was a common one in the kitchen. There is no bottled water provided but there are cups and a water dispenser at the common area.

Wifi as mentioned on the website and by other reviewers is available on the level 1. So the good thing is I can surf the web while inside the room. No LAN points are available.

Breakfast is provided for. But I was surprised that I was issued Macdonald’s voucher. I thought I saw from the website or some other reviewers that it was cooked food. Walking to and fro to Mac will take around 30min. The owner offered to change to something new for Day 2 but I declined.

Yup, she will help you find a taxi driver to bring you around if you want to. But of course, she will earn some commission because the taxi driver refused to tell me the rate and asked me to liaise directly with the owner. I will not quote the price over me. Message me if you wish to know.
The driver she recommended was not bad. Above average I would say as he can chat with my dad. Not sure if he is able to chat up with group of youths.

The owner asked if we would like her to “clean up” the room. We declined but we were surprised that she did not change our towels in the bathroom. We just do not want to trouble to arrange our bed as there is no need to. However, cleaning up the room is one thing, changing the towel for hygiene purposes is another. So do remember to ensure that they are changed if you are staying at Mistro.

Checking out

Again, she did not ask if I would like her to fetch, so I dropped her a message and she said ok. Anyway she turned up quite early to clean up the bedroom of others and I guess maybe she will turn up anyway. She was quite courteous and bid us goodbye by shaking our hands.

Overall

It is just a place to chill. If the homestay is full, maybe you can make some friends from other countries in the lobby. If not the facilities available are limited. And paying NT2300 for a night is not quite worth it. I think a 3star hotel room for 4 people at http://www.cj-hotel.com/main.php costs about the same.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank xumbie
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is a really good homestay. From the moment we stepped in, the owner, Claire, had been the most helpful. There were a lot of times where she really went out of her way to help us arrange our itinerary, getting transport etc. Her heart was so big, it made hualien even bigger than it already is.

The room is very beautiful as well. Very clean and self contained. The common area on the first floor had free wifi and was very cosy.

Definitely recommend everyone to stay here!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends