“Excellent B&B with Breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean”
Review of Bayview B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hualien County
Bayview B&B
Ranked #98 of 1,589 Hualien County B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent B&B with Breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Spent a night here before my family's day trip to Taroko Gorge in February. The service was faultless from preliminary enquiries to check-out as Juan Lin responded very promptly to all my queries and confirmations for my reservation. While we were there, Juan and his family couldn't be more hospitable.

Bayview B&B and Hotel Bayview are run and operated by the same family which offers complimentary pickup and drop-off services for all guests to/from Hualien train station. While prices are similar, the Bayview B&B is situated closer to the Qixingtan beach which offers unparalleled views of sunrise on the horizons of the Pacific Ocean. The B&B also offers a more personal and home-away-from-home feel about the place. Guests at the B&B are also welcome to the 24-hour facilities - free PCs with internet access, snacks, some hot beverages - offered at Bayview Hotel which is just a 5-minute walk away. The breakfast spread at the B&B was also fairly generous with just 5 guestrooms - it was a simple buffet-style spread with a good mix of bread and congee with cheesecakes for dessert.

Beyond its close proximity to Qixingtan (the B&B's offering free usage of bicycles for guests offered us unparalleled opportunities to explore the Qixingtan scenic area with much privacy after the numerous day-tripping tour groups are gone), I found the personable approach of Juan's family (particularly Juan and his father Tony) particularly memorable and truly sets this B&B apart from some of the other B&Bs I have stayed in.

From recommending a good seafood restaurant nearby for dinner to promptly offering a cable for my laptop's internet connection when discovering the wifi had some issues, offering invaluable advice about our forthcoming trip to Taroko and other parts of Taiwan on our itinerary, a stay at Bayview B&B offers the personal touch beyond what is synonymous of staying at a hotel/B&B. In many ways, you are treated very much as friends of the hosts.

Certainly a recommended abode for anyone planning to spend a night in Hualien before heading off to the Taroko Gorge.

Room Tip: If covering Taroko Gorge is part of your itinerary, I would suggest you spend a night here and arriv...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Perhaps it was because our trip to Taiwan this time involved staying in another B&B in Yilan, hence we felt a little disappointed with the experience at Bayview B&B as we were expecting more of a homestay feel, rather than the usual hotel experience. It might be because we had less interaction with Mr. Lin Huan as compared to the other reviewers? The only time we met him was during a short drive which he took into the city centre and did a thorough recommendation of the local eats and must-try foods - that was really nice of him, as he even drove round another time to show us more options before letting us alight.

We spent 3 nights at Bayview B&B, and enjoyed the proximity to the sea and the wonderful sea views. Breakfast was good - with eastern (porridge with side dishes) and western (toast, chicken nuggests, fresh fruits and cheesecake for dessert) options available. Rooms were made up properly everyday with toiletries and bath towels replaced, as well as 4 bottles of bottled water replenished daily (you could also get more bottled water supply from the 2nd floor). The usual cable television in Taiwan hotels was also available.

However, on our first morning which we were planning to go to Taroko Gorge for the day, the trip recommendations from the front desk were less than desirable - only the option for a pre-booked car was recommended. When I mentioned the more economical option of the Taroko tourism bus service (台湾好行) , I was simply told that it provides less flexibility in timing as the last bus leaving Taroko is around 4-5pm (information which we already knew from our research online). Nonetheless, they did arrange for the hotel driver to take us to the bus station (which is next to Hualien Train Station).

In a nutshell, our stay was not bad, but that's what it was - not a bad one. We just weren't sold on Bayview being a B&B offering the Taiwanese "minsu 民宿" experience, which we had experienced elsewhere in another B&B.

But if you are looking for a comfortable, clean place to stay in Hualien with hotel room amenities (minus the concierge/ room-service/ coffee house) and close proximity to the sea and fantastic sea views - choose Bayview B&B (which is nearer to the beach compared to Bayview Hotel - which is also run by the same owners).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wongmlp
Singapore
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Most B&B's have one shortcoming or another. If the location is central (to amenities), it will not have a view. If it has a view, then it could be miles away from modern conveniences (grocery store) or comforts of a home (free wifi, reverse air conditioning). Not so with Bayview B&B (望海樓), which is why it is my favorite homestay in Taiwan.

望海樓 is a short 15min drive from Hualien station (the B&B provides free transportation until 6pm, after which you need to take a cab, fare NT$250). But if you're feeling lazy, it's perfectly fine not to travel to/from the city as the B&B is about 5min walk from a 24-hour grocery store, and a number of eateries. The owner was very helpful and told us which eatery was good (and of course, what to avoid).

The B&B is almost sitting on the beach (nearer to beach than Hotel Bayview) and a vast expanse of ocean greets us every morning when we step out of the balcony (full glass, unblocked view). Waiting for sunrise cannot be any easier than this....Breakfast (7.30am - 9am) is simple, but tasty.

Cycling along the track is an enjoyable family activity and the B&B provides free bicycles for guests. (Parents, do not worry, they have baby seats.)

Postcard pretty, accessible location, comforts of home and a very reasonable price tag...so what are you waiting for?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nlaykhim
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I spent 2 nights at wang hai lou. Initially I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't get a room at Hotel Bayview as there were LOTS of good reviews about the place. But guess what... Bayview B&B is actually run by the same family that's running hotel bayview! In fact B&B is their first setup.

Although the rooms at the B&B are not thematic (ocean design, etc), they are clean spacious and very refreshing. The way how you expect a home to be. So you definitely feel at home. :)
And... I think B&B is probably slightly closer to the ocean than the hotel, tho it's at the further end of the beach. During my stay there, I saw people camping out at the beach to watch the sunrise, I kinda just stepped onto the balcony with coffee and marvelled at the sights. (heh heh!) So I feel less bummed when the weather wasn't that good for sunrise; I just hopped back into bed.

It's probably 5-10 mins stroll away from the convenience store, so midnight snack is not a problem at all.

Breakfast was taiwanese porridge and dishes. I LOVE the porridge there, almost like the hong kong congee. The perfect kinda food after binging on all the junk food at night market.

Also, I booked my whale watching trip one day before through the B&B and it was really memorable. It was cheaper than the published rate offered by the whale watching company.

The owners (Juan and lin huan) were really kind and helpful. My trip was to hualien was shortly after the typhoon and the road conditions to Taroko Gorge were not really certain. They provided quite a few alternative routes that I can take, although we went to Taroko Gorge in the end and had a good time there. Also, while I was trying to figure out how to get all the luggages (there were 6 of us all with huge luggages) to the railway station after we are done with whale watching, Juan offered to get her staff to send our luggages to the railway station at the timing we agreed upon. Top-notch service!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank msspidey
Hopg Kong
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I booked for two nights at Bayview B&B after reading reviews here on Tripadvisor, and I was not disappointed. Juan was very helpful, and picked us up at the railway station in nearby Hualian, and drove us back there when we checked out. We chose a room with a sea view, and I would highly recommend this, as it costs only a little more. If you are lucky, you will be able to watch a beautiful sunrise, but if the weather is against you, then it is so relaxing just drawing open one of the windows and dreamily staring out towards the horizon at any time, and admiring the sweeping beach and the mountains in the background. You are only a few steps from the beach, and the B&B has unobstructed views. Juan also has a small hotel a stone's throw away in this peaceful village, and a little further back from the beach, but the B&B is small, and therefore homely and relaxing, and his mum looks after the guests with the personal touch if he isn't around. I am sure the hotel is good too, but I'm told the pace up there is a little faster, so it's horses for courses ...
It's only a few minutes by taxi to Hualian city centre, and the B&B booked us a trusted taxi driver each time we went in. Not only did we NOT get ripped off, the taxi driver gave us a discount because we hired him for the return to the hotel, too.
There is a good, friendly village eatery close-by the Bayview, which is right outside their crafts shop. Try their "Manbor Yiu", which is a very popular fish which can only be found in this area. Also try their very tasty local seaweed. I was lucky as my wife is Chinese and speaks some Mandarin, but if you have any problems, just ask Juan at the B&B. I'm sure he'll write down in Chinese what you want
Meanwhile, the B&B has bicycles which guests can use free of charge. There is a cycling path right behind the beach which stretches for several kilometers. Hualien City was not really my cup of tea. Too busy, too many mainland China tourists. So Bayview was for us a great alternative to a city hotel.
But I came here mainly to visit Taroko Gorge, and that truly lived up to its reputation. If you do spend a day at the gorge, you can have it virtually to yourself before around 4.30pm. After that it is a nightmare, clogged with dozens of buses with mainland tourists.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike C
Reviewed 4 April 2013

i had a short stay in wang hai lou while i was in hualien in March 2013.
i had a big room to accomodate 4 adults & 1 toddler. We were welcomed by the beautiful ocean, clean rooms, spacious & friendly lady boss!

the breakfast spread was good. it wasn't expensive food but typical chinese breakfast, but were tasty and had a good variety! the breakfast lady was very friendly as well, and even packed porridge for my toddler :)

you'll be able to watch sunrise from the balcony in the room. after the sunrise, just catch hold of a bicycle (free rental) and cycle along the beach, enjoying the nature & scenery! there are also army airplanes practicing daily nearby the minsu around 9am,but subject to the weather conditions.

we had a good time there!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Very helpful and warm hospitality extended to us who are return guests. Juan fetched us at HL TRA promptly and we had a pleasant conversation during the short 15 minutes car ride to Bayview Lodge. He most graciously allowed us to check in earlier to rest and refresh ourselves before next day's intensive walk along Taroko Gorge's 3 recommended and popular hiking tracks.

Appreciate greatly the complimentary bicycles to ride along the vast and scenic pavements along the beach and most grateful for the washer and hanger facilities to handle dirty laundry after a long day of hiking.

During our 4 days 3 nights stay over the weekend, we had a meaningful and most enjoyable time interacting with the owner Mrs Lin, Juan's mother who shared her enriching experiences with us. In addition, she also helps us to arrange their 'in-house' cabbie Mr Lee (honest & careful driver) who took us to Hualien city on 2 nights for dinner.

Especially enjoyed the scrumptious spread of breakfast served every morning by two great auntie-cooks who double up as our efficient room attendants :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple