“A Menagerie”

Hualien Bay
Ranked #178 of 1,588 Hualien County B&B and Inns
“A Menagerie”
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The other reviewers have described well the hospitality offered by Andy and his artist wife. I would like to talk about the menagerie that is behind the minsu.

Apart from pangpang and niuniu (their two dogs), there was a pig (named and not to be eaten, I was assured), goats, turkeys, chickens and ducks. All animals were kept in generous enclosures built amid a herb and flower garden. It was by no means prettified - it was clearly a working farm - but reasonably clean and very pleasant.

Visitors to this minsu should not miss this.

Room Tip: Keep an open mind - this is not a 5-star hotel but it offers an experience no starred hotel can.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank YewMoon

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Stayed 2 nights at the family room with 2 double beds. It was drizzling when we arrived at the minsu with our driver after a long and tiring journey from Cingjing to hualien via Taroko gorge. When the car turned into the porch, we were greeted by Andy and his wife who were there readily with their umbrellas to shield us from the rain. Andy served us warm soya milk (very yummy) and homemade pineapple pastry. Room was of decent size, simple but clean. Andy's wife was very thoughtful. Upon learning that my husband had car sickness, she offered us a bottle of ointment and guasha. My husband felt better after that. Breakfast consisted of assortment of yummy bread, coffee(cappuccino, latte) and soya milk. My kids loved the backyard farm animals, especially the cute and adorable pig which is a family pet. Andy introduced me to the assortment of herbs and plants which was interesting and educational. We collected some intricate looking pebbles from the beah near his house. Overall, the stay was great, made memorable by the hospitality shown by the ever patient and amicable Andy and his wife. Oh yes, we had such great fun playi g with fireworks and setting off the sky lantern.

Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MuffinOtto
Reviewed 21 September 2012

My husband and myself has stayed in this minsu from 21-23 Aug 2012. During our stay, Andy and his wife has shown us great hospitality. On arrival by train from Yilan, Andy was at the train station waiting for us. He has recommended us the best goose meat noodle in Hualien, I think most probably in Taipei as well, as we tried in Taipei but it is not as good as this in Hualien and the price was very reasonable. On arrival at the minsu, Andy treated us some great bananas which was planted at their minsu itself and show us their farm behind the minsu. There is goat, chicken and goose at their farm, not forgetting their dogs as well.

My husband heard that typhoon will be hitting east of Taiwan and the affected area will be Hualien itself. Actually we have booked 12.15 train leaving Hualien on 23 Aug, but the TV said that the typhoon will be hitting hualien at 23 Aug afternoon itself. We quickly ask Andy to help us booked an earlier train to leave Hualien to return to Taipei. Without hesitation, Andy checked the internet and managed to secure two tickets to Taipei for us leaving at around 7.30am. We would like to thanks Andy for his great help in this matter.

It is great staying at this minsu as the minsu is very near to the beach and we booked a driver through Andy to bring us to Taroko Gorge, qingshui cliff and qishingtan beach for TW2,300. The driver is a very experience driver as well advising us where to visit at Taroko Gorge as the typhoon will be arriving soon. The driver drove us around Hualien from 9.00am to about 8.00pm at night. At the end of it we give the driver a little bit more as a token of our appreciation.

Before we leave the minsu, there is a small gift from Andy's wife to us.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We traveled to Hualien last month. I wanted something different from the typical hotel experience for our time in Hualien - and this turned out to be a wonderful departure from the normal hotel! As a group of two young families (with 3 children age 2 or younger!), we were a little apprehensive of a smaller space but this minsu was great. Andy was amazing - he replied promptly to my emails and was very helpful and friendly. Our rooms were good - if there was anything amiss, we just mentioned it to Andy and it was fixed immediately. Breakfast was served in a common area, and they were happy to accommodate for us with a vegetarian meal - and to show us a vegetarian restaurant for dinner. One night after a long day we had a "cup-of-noodle" type meal and Mrs. Chen offered to fix it for us in her kitchen (which we appreciated) as well as gave us a little bowl of some tofu she had just made. They were very sweet to our children and we had the pleasure of being introducedto their grandchildren one evening. Our kids loved to play outside on the porch & in the yard. We used the bikes a couple times and went across the street for a nice walk on the rocky beach. It is not downtown at all (but we welcomed that!) but Andy drive you in at dinner. One evening on our way back from dinner he even went out of his way to pick us up a famous Hualien tiramisu (delicious) - we were amazed at this! Mrs. Chen is an artist and her work is displayed throughout the minsu - beautiful. We would have liked to stay longer....almost did! as we almost missed our train (my mistake) on our last day - Andy rushed us to the station and found us a way to get our tickets fast (in spite of a long line!) Simply put - the Chens were wonderful, incredibly hospitable & friendly...a most delightful home stay experience. THANK YOU!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank IslandHoppy
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I am going to Taiwan again and due to my fabulous stay in this minsu last year june, I decided to write a commentary on it before venturing there again!

I went with my boyfriend and 2 other girlfriends there last year summer and it was a truly wonderful 3 day stay. The owner was sooooooo friendly and the grandson was sooooooooo cute!! He picked us from the train station (damn patient and nice even though we were a tad late due to train delay) and immediately brought us to the cong you bing stall which we love so much, we had that for 3 days straight lol! (It is a MUST-TRY!! the egg burst in your mouth feeling is shioooooook!)

Anyway, Mr and Mrs Chen are really friendly and me and my boyfriend got the room with a small balcony overseeing the beach and a whole wall of glass window at the back of our bed. It was real romantic as we can stare at the stars from our bed and watch the sunset at the balcony in the morning. The air was fabulous and i loved chasing after all the small animals they had in their backyard! I even fed a baby goat milk and stuff lol!

Another thing worth mentioning is that Mr Chen's 3 year-old grandson, ou wen. He is absolutely adorable with his baby talk and stuff. Me and my friend kept playing with him and he seems to like us very much, especially me (proudness!!). One night, Mr Chen brought us to the night market and to our surprise, he asked ou wen to follow us into the night market!! That's the amount of faith he had in us and we were really surprised as we are just like twenty-year old kids ouselves and ou wen is only three, THREE years old!! Nonetheless, ou wen happily followed us in while Mr Chen waited for us in the car. We had a bit of hard time taking care of ou wen and stuff (cause you know, 3-year old kids wander EVERYWHERE) but it was quite novel and fun for a young couple lol! A girl even commented that we are really young as parents and my boyfriend and I felt really shy lol!

All in all, Mr Chen is a warm, honest and really fabulous host whom treats his guests with a welcoming heart ttm. PLEASE GO THERE IF YOU WANNA VISIT HUALIEN!! They're too nice t be missed!!

Room Tip: Get the room with a small balcony!! Its really spacious and romantic!!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jesseye
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I picked this place because of the reviews on TA and I was not disappointed. The place does look worn and old when you enter but it is clean and homely. I sent a few emails (in chinese) to Mr Chen but at first there was a lack in response as his mail got diverted to the spam folder so do check as he replies pretty promptly. He was very helpful with all my questions even on the transport to get there from Taipei.

Some points to share on the place:
- Payment was upon arrival.
- There is a water cooler on the first floor just outside the living room and at the bottom of the stairs. It dispenses hot and cool water. Recommended to bring your own bottle so you can fill it up!
- The room I stayed in was 101 and can accommodate 4 people however we had all our luggage with us (the airplane check-in kind) so it felt kind of cramp. The room for 2 was spacious and fine.
- Towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, hair dryer, soap, shampoo and other toiletries were all provided for.
- There was only 1 pair of slippers in the room so bring your own if you prefer wearing slippers all the time, especially into the toilet.
- Breakfast was great! Fruits, toast, bread with jam etc. Yum. The 奶茶 (milk tea) made by Mr Chen's son is nice.
- The huge garden in front and behind the house is nice to walk around for a morning stroll when the weather is cool.
- Transport is provided by Mr Chen (Mr Chen will ensure someone else is there if he is not available) to and fro Hualien City when you arrive and leave.
- The 2 dogs are not very friendly so try not to disturb them.

Mr Chen's wife is very talented and all the "paintings" are actually small pieces of paper stuck all over till a picture is formed. It's pretty cool so check it out.

We stayed for 3 nights here & I totally enjoyed myself when in Hualien. The beach is really just across the minsu and it was an adventure to look for the path through the trees to cut through to get to the beach. Great fun! As we were out most of the time, there was not more time to enjoy the beach infront of the minsu. At night, if you listen hard enough, one can sometimes hear the sound of the waves crashing on the beach.

Before arriving, I requested for Mr Chen to help book Mr Li An Sheng (李安生) as I read positive reviews of him and I was not disappointed. My family enjoyed the time with Mr. Li (I will post a separate review of Mr Li and his contact in the forums). Mr Chen took care of the booking and my itinerary arrangement with Mr Li so it was a simple and smooth affair.

The only disappointment was that Mr Chen and his wife were not in town when we came so his son was the one who took care of us. His son did a great job but on meeting Mr Chen, who came back on the day we left, I immediately felt his warmth and hospitality. I would have loved to spend more time hanging out and talking with him and his wife. This was one of the rare times that Mr Chen has gone for a holiday.

If possible, I would like to go back again!

Room Tip: Room 101 can sleep 4 people but it is rather cramp if you have luggage (the airplane check-in kind).
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tianryuu
Reviewed 3 May 2012

The owner, Andy, fetch us from the train station on the day of arrival. The first thing he does was to bring us to eat 葱油饼,which was one of the famous stall in Hualien. He drive us back to minsu and after we freshen up, he drive us to the night market in city. He pick us up after 3 hours of shop/food.
Breakfast was included and it was great. Home cooked breakfast by the wife. Bread with jam, bun, fruits and soya bean milk. Can't even finish the food.
We didn't had time I walk to the beach in front of the minsu. We only walk there before leaving. It was a 15metres walk to the beach. Took a few photos before we left for train station.
It was a great stay at the minsu. Both husband and wife were friendly and showed us around the minsu. They rear chickens, ducks, goose, goats and 2 dogs (胖胖和妞妞). At night, they brought us to see fireflies at the backyard. Will definitely go back again!

• Stayed April 2012