“An excellent surprise in downtown Hualien”

Just Sleep Hualien Zhongzheng
Ranked #3 of 129 Hotels in Hualien
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
“An excellent surprise in downtown Hualien”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family and I just finished a 2-night stay at the end of June 2014, and I must say that I am completely satisfied with this newly-build property at the heart of downtown Hualien. Not only did it meet our expectations, it has some surprises in store for you.

Here is my background: I was born in Taiwan, but have lived in the US for the past 30 years. I have never been to Hualien but have always wanted to visit there (especially 太魯閣 the Taroko National Park). I travel frequently on business and am Marriott Platinum. I was eager to check out Just Sleep because of all the high ratings it gets here.

Location: Just Sleep is in a centrally located triangle downtown district. Many of Hualien's famous little restaurants (公正包子 gong-zheng bao-zi, 一心泡泡冰 yi-xin pao-pao-bing, etc) are all within walking distance. However, you should know that summer in Taiwan can be unbearable - hot and humid, regularly in the 90s that feels like 100+F. This 10-minute walk will bring out a uncontrollable sweat for me, even at 9 PM. So as for "within walking distance", YMMV.

The hotel is about 40-minutes drive to the 太魯閣 Taroko National Park, an attraction you MUST NOT miss while in Hualien. We like it so much that we drove through it two days in a row.

Staff, lobby and parking: lobby is spacious, pleasing and clean, and the staff is super friendly and very nice to us. I spoke to them in Mandarin but I believe that they can also speak English well. When we checked in, the attendants offered us maps, a coupon book, and explained clearly to us the places to go. I was rather impressed. The free parking is in the back of the building. There are just several spots (maybe 8-10?) and you walk through the back door to get back into the hotel. When we parked our rental there the first time, a hotel worker actually waited for me there and walked me back to the hotel through the shortcut. Nice.

Rooms: we love the handsomely dark but nicely-spot-lit hallway - reminders me of the Lowes hotel in Philadelphia. We reserved a room with two double beds. It was very large by all standards (about the size of a Springhill Suites but undivided). There is more flat spaces for desks and luggage than most hotels. The built-in PC is a nice touch. The fishbowl bathroom is interesting - it looks beautiful, but basically one person can use the bathroom unless your family is *extremely* close. The beds are comfortable. We need another chair by the desk so we dragged one of the two sofa chairs over. There is also a small frig and a safe in the room. Overall, I was very impressed with our room.

Breakfast: I didn't actually go down to eat the free breakfast while we stayed there, but my wife really enjoyed it. There are a good mix of Chinese and Western breakfast foods - buns 包子, congee 粥, scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. There is something for everyone in this superb breakfast bar.

Library and Art Gallery: "Just Sleep" is more than "just sleep" - it has an excellent library on the second floor. "Woooow" is everybody's reaction when they first see it - we know because we heard it several times when my son and I sat there for a long while reading their collection of old comics. The floor-to-20' ceiling book shelves are filled with books of all kinds, and displays a collection of toys that will fascinate kids young and old. I was able to connect with my younger-self and with my son by reading 老夫子 (Old Master Q) and Doraemon with him. The small Art Gallery on the third floor is nicely appointed.

Overall, I was very please with Just Sleep in Hualien. The only thing I can find fault with this hotel is its name - it's offers travelers so much more than "Just Sleep". Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank BillTsaiTechGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here on a 2 night trip while visiting relatives. Could not be more pleased with rooms which have been fitted with luxurious european showers & facuets. Completely new, the rooms are modern and clean. It is a little further away from the night markets and is not central but there are lots to explore and see as you walk down the streets. Good typical Taiwanese hospitality so there is nothing really to complain about.
Free Internet & water dispenser on every floor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew Y
australia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Good Hotel

Good location for Hualien

if you turn left from the hotel good shopping street at night

Right next to the hotel is good Chinese dumpling shop

Actually cant say that Hualien is on my hot list of places to go - although clos eto teh National Park - they also promised some surf on that side of the Island but it was as flat as a pancake

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were lucky to pick this hotel after checking out various options. We booked a triple share room and a double room and stayed for 1 night. The triple share room is huge. Maybe because the hotel is new, the bathrooms and shower facilities are first grade. Rooms are really clean and comfortable.

The room rate came with buffet breakfast which is a very reasonable spread.

The hotel is walking distance (5-10 mins) to downtown area with lots of food and shopping. Beside the hotel is a famous wanton soup place which is a must try if you come to Hualien.

This hotel is great for families as the rooms are of good size and near amenities like Watsons and food.

I would definitely stay here again if I come back to Hualien.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
捷絲旅阿J, 總經理 at Just Sleep Hualien Zhongzheng, responded to this review, 4 June 2014

Warmest greetings from Just Sleep!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Just Sleep and taking time to share such a positive feedback on Tripadvisor. We are really grateful to receive it and this does mean a lot to us.

All the team members are really glad to learn that you are very satisfied with the services as we always hope to provide the services that meet all the guests' expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon should your travels bring you back to Hualien.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in the hotel and had really good time. The staff were very helpful and we would like to send the great thanks to Vicky, Samy and the others. They helped us with everything, from booking a great trip with private driver to the nearby gorge to buying the train and boat tickets. The hotel restaurant offers whole range of delicious vegetarian dishes. The rooms are clean and big.

• Stayed April 2014

Singapore
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

This was a nice hotel located in the city center. 10 minutes easy stroll to the night shopping area. I like the family suite very much. It was spacious and clean and I felt very good spending a night here. Breakfast was good too. But I had an issue with the baby cot which caused me to be very upset and I am waiting to hear a reply from the hotel management and that was the reason I deducted a star from my rating else it would be a 5 star rating.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hualien, Taiwan
Reviewed 12 April 2014

If your destination is Hualien Taiwan, Just Sleep would be an excellent place to stay for couple of nights.
New and modern facility, large rooms ( we are 5 so got a suite ), great location within walking distance from the ocean, night markets, good restaurants and other tourist attractions.
The best part is a friendly and mostly English speaking staff, eager to help and recommend on what to do and where to go.
Special thanks to robin!

Room Tip: Suites are amazing