“A nice spot”

Fullon Hotel Kaohsiung
Ranked #70 of 331 Hotels in Kaohsiung
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Clean, large modern rooms and a great location made for a nice stay. Free WiFi, a lovely view across the harbour from my room, and a very comfy bed. The Fullon is located a block away from the Love River, and an easy stroll to the Pier 2 art centre and walking paths. There is a modern gymnasium in the basement but the opens rather later than it should (7am?).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cadbury64

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Excellent hotel. My friend and I stayed here for three nights. The service is good,the staffs are helpful. Breakfast is ok for us. The room is very clean,new and comfortable. Also, we think this hotel is safe because we need to use the key card in the lift in other to go to the rooms floor. Free wifi is provided. Will stay in this hotel again if we go to Kaohsiung again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Booked the place together with the flight via an online platform. Price was good, rating ok.
Hotel is not far from the airport and located quite near to the city centre, close to the river.
Staff is very friendly, most are peaking English, or at least try their best to help.
After my request for non smoking room could not be fulfilled within the low category I booked, I got upgraded to the top level, without any discussion. What a great, but defiantly unexpected service.
Nice pool, small but good gym, sauna ....
When I come back, I defiantly stay here!

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Look at the photos - you see a beautiful room, perfectly fine outlook. Not amazing but it looks spacious, new(ish) and decent.

However once checked in I felt breathing was affected immediately as I am quite allergic to dust. Then on a closer look to the different areas in the room, there is dust everywhere! Not being picky but these excessive amount of dust are literally inches thick! (look at the photos) Then in the bathroom, there was this odd sewer smell that came out from the toilet which was impossible to get rid of. Shower blind has moulds everywhere...

Sound proof was also VERY bad, could literally hear everything going on in the corridor, imagine lots of tourists (people from other parts of Taiwan and mainland China) with kids shouting all the time, slamming the door... and also the streets! Could hear traffic going past and there was a morning around 6am, some idiots decided to speak in a microphone in a car with very loud music (did not understand what the lady was saying) - did not have a single good night sleep!

Breakfast was OK - usual toast with butter and jam. Hot food was limited and BAD, fruit juices were not fresh and soy milk tasted really bad.

Room service - limited choices (one page with around 10 choices in total)

Location - far away from tube/MTR. A good thing is that there are a few local eateries nearby and a 7-11/Family mart within 50 steps of walk.

With a similar budget there are plenty of other great choices eg. Urban 33 / Hotel Dua - life is short, why settle for less?!

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether. If you must, choose higher floor rooms (away from the roads) and corner...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank kizzcat
Reviewed 4 April 2013

A very well appointed hotel. Stayed here for 2 nights in February.

The rooms are large, comfortable and well maintained. A plus is the free wifi.

We stayed in the club floor and had a great view of the Love River. The lounge offered a happy hour (strangely, not included in the rate) and we sat outside on a relaxing balcony, again overlooking the river.

The hotel was let down by the breakfast served in the Chinese Restaurant. The food quality was poor (little choice of fruit, cereals and hot food). The whole experience appeared ‘cheap’ and perhaps aimed at the large the number of Mainlanders who were present. The second morning I avoided undergoing the experience again and headed out to the street (even though breakfast was included in my rate).

The hotel is located in a pleasant area, near the River. Plenty of bars and eateries in the vicinity

Overall, an excellent stay facilitated by friendly staff, but the breakfast could be improved.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richmondbois
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I must be honest, I had never heard of KaoHsiung in my life and never, in my wildest dreams, thought i would end up there. My daughter runs an explosive candy business, and she was invited to create an amazing candy expo (sculptures and pictures made with candy) that took place in KaoHsiung, the 2nd largest City in Taiwan. Since we are a very close family, we, her parents, decided to go along with her to give her our support; she was quite nervous due to the magnitude of the project and although she is 33, married and with 2 kiddies, she still needs mom and dad. When we landed at KaoHsiung Airport we immediately realized that we were not in a country town. And were driven from that well-designed friendly airport to our Fullon Hotel while contemplating the streets of a very modern city, clean and with a daring architecture but not exempted of a unique charming and sense of peace. Right away we noticed we were at a special town, and we are happy that not too many world tourists are familiar with it. KaoHsiung is not a tourist trap. It is a city to sip and enjoy little by little, like a good wine.
As soon as we passed the hotel door and rapidly recovered from the WOW factor after noticing its charming decor we headed to the front desk. And we were greeted with a smile by the most efficient and cutest bunch of girls you can imagine. My wife and I are not the Queen and the King of England, but we were treated as if we were. So, we were quickly on the way to our rooms with the help of a couple of bell boys that were as wonderful and well-trained as the girls in the lobby. Let me mention that tips in Taiwan are not customary, so these guys and gals do not behave hypocritically like the staff of some impressive New York or European hotels, where everything is expected to be done in exchange for something. These big hotel chains and luxurious buildings in our main US and European cities should benefit from training their personnel in the Fullon.
Once we passed the door of our room in the 10th floor we realized we were in a contemporary, cozy, charming living place with an Asian touch and also with absolutely everything a guest may need. Nothing escaped to the careful planning by the room designer. Dreamy bedding, nice size closet, plenty of storage, great HDTV, perfect internet connection, a shower with the Niagara Falls water pressure, safety box and little thoughtful details like daily tea and gourmet coffee (yes, Taiwanese coffee is always strong and flavorful, not for sissies) and a plate with some fresh fruit provided daily as well. Our bathroom was furnished with very good quality cosmetics, and everything you may feel you need at the unit is there, at your reach. And when it comes to added security, the only way to activate the elevator is by scanning your room key; great feature. And, before I forget, allow me to mention the gorgeous city view.
For those who could not develop a taste for Taiwanese food, like the Taiwanese say all the time, no prooooooblem! The Fullon Hotel has a wonderful buffet restaurant which offers all the Asian and US favorite treats: ham, bacon, sausage, an omelette bar, cheese, cold cuts, cereal, potatoes and all those high-cholesterol delicacies we Westerners love, but they also provide you with yogurt, cereal and tons of good, very fresh fruit, fruit juices, coffee and tea.
This time I am reviewing the Fullon Hotel, not KaoHsiung City, which I'm planning to do specifically in another report. But if you are lucky enough to visit Taipei buy no means you should miss taking the fabulous HSR (bullet train) and visit KaoHsiung and stay there at least 1 or 2 days. You'll get there in 96 minutes and, if you have just enough time to visit one attraction, go to Zuoying and see the magnificent pagodas and the Ciji Buddhist temple. You'll be glad you did, and don't forget your camera.
Although a large number of Tripadvisor reviewers like to complain when they feel they have a legitimate grievance, I'd rather put the uninspiring stuff behind me and concentrate on those fine places of the world that bring up happiness and joy to us, and the KaoHsiung Fullon is, most definitively, one of the best well-managed hotels I have stayed, and I travel extensively. Congratulations to the management for their daily job so well-one and to the staff, whose members are so professional, courteous and efficient. And, before I finish, I would like to give the Management a little suggestion. Please give that Super-star named Sylvia Hsiao and every other stuff member in the lobby, boys and girls, a nice pay raise. They are worth gold and they deserve it.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms with street and river views are the best. And don't bypass the nearby Taiwane...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank georgesorkin
Reviewed 9 February 2013

We went to kaohsuing in 2012 year end and found that many hotels and B&B were full. We picked fullon as it's still vacant. Without much expectation, the hotel delighted us very much. There are many local restaurants nearby, and one famous for beef noodle is just around the corner. We also found convenient stores and pharmacy shops near by. Convenient stores in Taiwan is big and well serviced, there is ATM inside that means we even don't need to go to bank. The hotel room basic but it is big and clean. The staff are polite and helpful, they allow us to park the rental bicycle in the luggage store room. I love the sauna room very much, what a relax after a whole day walk.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple