“Bargain travel in Kaohsiung, Taiwan”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #201 of 319 Hotels in Kaohsiung
“Bargain travel in Kaohsiung, Taiwan”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I reserved a room through Agoda.com a month or so prior to arrival. I printed the map from the site and showed it to the taxi driver at the airport. Nobody knows of it. The driver does not speak English and I do not speak Mandarin. He called a 24-hour hotline assistance to foreigners and I spoke to the lady about my predicament and she asked that I hand the phone to the driver. I don't know if the driver played the game to fleece a tourist but after driving around trying to locate the hotel, he finally found it after the meter hit some 400 Taiwan dollar mark! I was too tired after a 22 hours flight from Dallas to argue nor make a fuss. The hotel was very close, a couple of blocks each to the Kaohsiung Train Station and Liouhe Night Market.

Typical of budget hotels around Southeast Asia major cities such as Bangkok, Manila, HongKong, Hanoi and others but it has hot shower and its television carries CNN International. The counter clerk does not speak English but he went out of his way to be helpful to this tired traveller. The bed is comfortable. The towel is too thin. I have the impression that the hotel facilities have been around for quite a long while and business has not picked up to facilitate its renovation and updating. But again, we get what we paid for and at the same time my experience has not come to "a penny wise and a pound foolish" as yet. At times, I wonder if it costs me more in order to stay and be cheap!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo