“Exactly as the name suggests and more!”
Review of Cozy Planet Hostel

Cozy Planet Hostel
“Exactly as the name suggests and more!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Wonderful, just wonderful. Our experience as a family that booked an entire apartment (roughly 8-10 separate beds) was amazing, mainly because of the impeccable customer service rendered by one of the hostel owners, Lulu. She was very patient with our late check-in (past 9pm) and even after receiving us and introducing the apartment, she very willingly briefed us about the area in Kaohsiung. This immediately made us feel at home.
The apartment quality is also great: it is very homely, except for the fact that there is a one-liner under “House rules”, saying “Mum is not around, so clean up after yourself.” Nice!

Room Tip: If you're travelling as a big group (I was with my family, totalling 8 people), consider booking...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank nickangtc

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This hostel is just a 10-minute walk from the Central Park metro station. Not very centrally located but its proximity to the metro station makes it convenient enough to go to most of the attractions in town. It occupies two storeys, one on the 6/F and another on 8/F. I stayed on the 6/F and it was super super clean. The hostel is actually housed in a residential apartment. One room on 6/F is a female-only dorm (with 4 beds) and another one is a double. The dorm has an en-suite bathroom, very women-friendly. If you are party animal or want to mingle with other travelers it would be better to stay in some other hostels in town. Cozy Planet is more for those who prefer a quiet (and clean) place to stay. It's like a student dorm that you can socialize in the living room, or you can just retreat to your own room if you don't want to hear travelers brag about how many places they have visited.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

This is my second time staying here and my reason to come back is good location (7min walk from MRT Central Park Station), reasonable room rates but more importantly, comfy room, clean bathroom and very friendly and helpful staff!

Last time I stayed in a 2-bed mixed dorm for 2 nights (in 2011), I was really impressed by the room's noise-proof window, big and clean communal kitchen &common area and a clean shared bathroom. This time I was in a double bed room on another floor (the check-in floor) for 3 nights, and I love it all the same. When entering the room, I sensed a fragrant smell (aroma sticks inside) which already pleased me a lot. I like the small table & 2-chair setting, a small cabinet in which you can store & lock valuables (bring your own padlock), and what's more, enough number of sockets, especially near the bed! Yes, you have to make your own bed, but it only takes you a minute! As before, there's free laundry and the staff even help you wash and hang dry the clothing, what's more can you ask?

If you like to chat and talk to other travellers, you'll love its large and cozy common area (w/ a lot of travel books to read too). The common area is right outside the double private room, so you may hear a bit of TV sound or chattering if you prefer staying in the room instead of meeting other travellers outside. Guests are required to keep their voice down after 11pm in the common area and for the 3 nights I stayed, there wasn't much loud noise. The only one thing is an extra toilet may be necessary given there's only one bathroom/toilet on this floor.

Overall, I love staying here as it's more like a hotel than just a hostel to me. I'll definitely stay here again in the future! My special thanks to Louis, a super friendly & helpful staffer who gave me good travel advice. Thank you to Sam too about the deposit payment issue!

*Tips* If you travel to Taiwan in April, choose south like Kaohsiung, Tainan, Kenting & others. I made a mistake by staying in Taipei which had been raining for more than two weeks since late March. The south surely has cured me!

Room Tip: If you have zero tolerance towards a bit of TV sound or people's chattering, you probably should...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank GromitCool
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 14 April 2013

The location is great and the hostel's accurate directions even better!
The hostel is cosy (as the name suggests) as the main area is like you've just entered the owner's living room. Loads of brand new guide books, maps and brochures to reference and computers to use. The fact that they offer free laundry is a real bonus and hassle free. Beds comfy too.
Both staff I met were really helpful in offering itinerary advice for my two days in Kaoshiung, booking taxis etc.
I was also surprised at how much I enjoyed exploring the city with a wealth of sites, museums but especially the access to art.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Pros- location was excellent , it was very near the train station and a fashion street called new jue jiang. Rooms were clean and comfortable..

Cons-
The environment was very noisy! There was so much chattering, loud laughter and loud tv playing just outside our door; the thin walls didn't help much.. The noise begins at 830am and ends at 10pm, with few to no breaks in between. Don't bank on getting much rest if u plan to rest in the room during the hours mentioned above.

• Stayed September 2012
6 Thank Chqbayboo
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 24 April 2012

After 3 nights in Taipei, with my money running out, I was panicking about my final 2 days in Kaohsiung. After getting of the High Speed train from Taipei, I called Cozy Planet and spoke to Sam (I think that's his name). Sam was really helpful and gave me directions from the station. His English is perfect. I arrived at the hostel (really close to Central Park Metro Station) and Sam showed me round the available rooms. Wow. This place is unlike any hostel I've ever seen. It was extremely modern, a great communal area, free wifi, a computer, printer, television etc. The rooms are a good size, have sound proof windows and air con, and come at a great price. The mattress is more comfortable than my personal one! Sam showed me all the hotspots of the local area and gave me lots of suggestions.

I had a great time in Kaohsiung and Cozy Planet topped it off. My only critique is that you have to make your own bed, but Im just lazy!

Highly recommend!

Room Tip: In less busy times you can get a room alone for less than the single room by asking for the twin roo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank dmc1989
Taichung, Taiwan
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Regular travelers in Taiwan would probably agree with me in saying, Taipei and Hualien aside, that Taiwan, although having numerous plus points, lacks in infrastructure for budget orientated, non-Chinese speaking backpackers. So what a pleasant surprise to come across this wonderfully well-run, cheap oasis in the centre of Kaohsiung. Beginning with the organising before our arrival, to the directions, the website, the enthusiastic attitude of the staff, the soft bed (no Taiwanese hard beds here!), the "cozyness" of the lounge area all of which added up to a very nice spot in which to bed up for a night or two whilst in the city. As Taiwan will become more and more a destination of choice for backpackers in the years to come these are the types of places that will succeed, it really was tremendous value for money.

Non Chinese speakers can call up and ask for Caleb, a fluent English speaker.

The hostel is located about a ten minute walk from the Central Park MRT, so is very central to most things.

If in Kaohsiung i recommend Cozy's. For value of money, the helpful, informative staff and the location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends