“Not a bad place, but not a great place either”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pingtung County
The Surf Shack Hostel
Ranked #65 of 107 Hotels in Pingtung County
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
“Not a bad place, but not a great place either”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I stayed one night at this place that has a central location not too far away from the bus station.

I can't really recommend this place since the total experience below average of the ho(s)tels I've stayed at in Taiwan (as well as worldwide).

When I arrived in the morning in heavy rain to check in (leave luggage) there was nobody there which was unexpected. Thank God, I had printed my booking confirmation from Hostelworld with the phone numbers. I got in touch with the staff that were somewhere else and was gonna turn up after lunch. Fortunately I could leave my luggage at the nearby place I stayed the previous night.

When I checked in later the same day there was only Chinese speaking staff but I luckily found someone on the street that could translate. Later on the managers were there and they spoke excellent English and answered my questions.

The room didn't have a window and its walls of didn't reach all the way to the ceiling, thus impairing privacy in/outgoing noise. There were no cooking or storing facilities at all which is unusual for a hostel/huesthouse. WiFi in the room was on/off all the time. There was however a public computer in the bottom floor.

I rate this place 2 out of 5 on account of the above. But it's still allright to stay at. And, after all, it's cheap, centrally located and has a noon checkout.

Room Tip: If you need privacy avoid the room with "incomplete walls"
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kassel
Reviewed 10 December 2012 via mobile

The surfshack is a good alternative if you don't want to go to kenting directly with all it's hustle and bustle, especially at night. The town is still in a good distance to the whole kenting area with it's beaches and parks. You can rent a scooter just next door and explore the area on your own.

The surfshack has its own little bar and diner where they provide breakfast and burgers etc., but there are enough shops and cookshops if you want to taste something characteristic for Taiwan or just get some snacks/beverages. The rooms may not win a designaward but they were clean enough and provide all you need so far.
Since we were the only guests during the offseason the staff was present only sporadic, but they were friendly and helpfull whenever we encountered.
We really enjoyed our time in Kenting and even extended our stay at the surfshack hostel.

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed three nights in december (Off-Season) and were the only guests.
But therefor the staff was very helpful and spent some time with us.
Great english skills.

The restaurant in the ground floor has a decent menu and everything we ordered was great!

We had a good time, rented a scooter and got to all the nice places around Kenting.
But for people who want to stay longer, Hengchun is a bit far away from Kenting city center.

• Stayed December 2012
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Although some distance away from the tourist strip that is Kenting Main Street, the Surf Shack was centrally located near the Hengchun bus station and surrounded by great local eateries which the staff recommended. The beach is a 15 minute ride away by bus, which comes every 20 minutes. Room rates are cheap, and the rooms were decent. I wouldn't recommend the non air-con room, though, as the walls do not go all the way up and it would probably be quite noisy. Terry was a great surf instructor, and we would have gone surfing again if not for the heavy rain.

Room Tip: Get the air con room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends