“A Little Taste of Home ”
Review of Bystro Restaurant Grill - CLOSED

Bystro Restaurant Grill
Price range: US$9 - US$34
Cuisines: American, European, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

A great place for westerners to have a little taste of home. Both times I've gone the food is good and the service is welcoming. The location is quite charming too. It's a great place to go when you are feeling homesick. Reminds me of the little restaurants back in my home town. The burgers are the best thing on the menu in my opinion.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Went back and was blown away by the friendly service, good food and cozy atmosphere. Off the main drag but worth the walk. Good food and a happy hour! Do Call ahead to see if they are open

Reviewed 24 November 2013

hi, we are the filipino couple who love your food =) will definitely go back, steak wasn't that tender but very juicy and tasteful, for me the best steak in taichung, pizzas and pastas one of the best in taichung too, plus i love the ice cold coronas, other restaurants don't serve them that cold in taichung, visit phils again =)

2  Thank applegiovan
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

The food is great! The ambiance is also very nice and relaxing. The owners aren't exactly rude or anything, but they're not quite happy to see you either. Despite that, I would still recommend Bystro for a tasty, fresh, relaxing meal.

2  Thank Palmetto88
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I'm new to Taichung and was excited to try this place because of all the good reviews. For starters, it takes a bit of effort to get here. So not a convenient location but most taxis seem to have GPS so not a big deal. Once you're here, however, the 'happy hour' is frankly not that happy. Only a select few mixed drinks (and Taiwanese swill beer) are given the happy treatment and needless to say, but I may as well say it, this is the bottom shelf stuff. Already I'm in a sour mood...

As for the food, I started with a Greek salad. Lots of olives, baby tomatoes, feta and quite delicious! But who can eat a Greek salad without a big chunk of rustic bread? I noticed that the bread is not free, it's a side dish at NT60 ($2). I order it anyway. I'm hungry! It arrives. Two little slices, about 2"x4" each. Huh? For this I had to pay extra? Most good restaurants just throw in the bread for free!

I'm still hungry so I order a veggie pizza and a glass of house red. When the wine arrives it's obviously a stingy pour. Or maybe the glass was huge? Whatever, I complained to the female half of the duo that own this place and she gives me this 'take it or leave it' attitude and curtly cites a ratio that is supposed to impress me about the cost of the wine! While it wasn't exactly plonk, this red Chilean wine was expensive at NT180 ($6) a glass. All I wanted was a few more drops of red but she had no desire to keep the customer happy.

As for the pizza, it seemed small at about 8" in diameter. Not the best I've ever had, but not the worst either. But by now I just wanted to leave. The overpriced bread, the stingy pour, the bad attitude from the owner...I decided to skip coffee and dessert and I'm still looking for a good restaurant in Taichung!

5  Thank pdxjimOregon