“It's an OK option--an experience, kind of fun” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pleasant Hotels International

Pleasant Hotels International
Ranked #24 of 136 Hotels in Taoyuan
Hillsboro, OR
“It's an OK option--an experience, kind of fun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

We were staying in a spare hostel in Tainan (which was much cleaner than this hotel & comfortable). We needed a place to spend the night prior to a morning flight out and didn't want to spend much money. This was considerably less expensive than other places closer to the airport and we liked that they offered shuttles to and from the airport for free. At $97 including taxes, it wasn't exactly inexpensive--but we also wanted clean and safe. I felt totally safe in the hotel and it was fancy in an old-fashioned way and somewhat clean. The bedding seemed clean but the sheets only covered the mattress about 80% of the way to the foot of the bed--a little strange. The carpeting was ancient and not totally clean but had been repaired (visible patches.) There were a few hairs in the tub and bathroom when we arrived, but otherwise the bathroom seemed clean. (I took a tissue and moved them to the trash.) The oddest thing that happened was that my husband moved a lamp to try to turn it off and apparently blew a fuse in the room/suite. All the lights went out and I was stranded in a pitch black bathroom. He called the operator to report the situation and they gave another number to call. He had to repeat the situation and direct request to send someone up to fix it --a few times. They assumed we didn't know how to turn on the lights. After several minutes he went to look for someone to help and someone called me to let me know that the lights were on now--which they were not. But 3 guys came back with my husband and 10 or 15 minutes later they fixed it after various discussisons, etc. Whole thing kind of funny. The "executive King suite" was huge. The bed was comfortable. I slept well. Front desk people spoke English perfectly or well enough and seemed friendly. Neighborhood didn't seem special but it was interesting looking around on ride to airport. Breakfast was OK. Eggs were good. We had been spoiled with wonderful authentic Taiwanese food in Tainan and this couldn't compare, but was OK. There appeared to be lots of tour groups in the hotel--busloads, but the room was quiet. Elevators were really crowded in the morning as well as the dining room for breakfast. I recommend checking out early and eating early to avoid the crowds. I would look for other options another time but this hotel was interesting and kind of a fun experience. (There were teen dancers practicing in the hallway at night and a busload of Chinese doing exercises outside by their bus in the morning.)

Room Tip: Use elevators early in AM because they get too crowded when the busloads check out. Higher floor roo...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunnydaze720

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Temple City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

After renovation finished in early 2011 we spent a quiet and comfort night in a suite. The driver
picked us in the airport was very kind and professional.
The breakfast buffet was various including authentic Taiwanese taste. I plan to stay there again
by the end of this year soon after I arrive the Taoyuan Air port

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Franklin C
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

If the average years for a hotel is 20 years old, then Taoyuan hotel will 60 years old. We could not choose to stay at this hotel if it has not claimed to has airport transfer when we have a a transist over a night at Taiwan and if we realised then, EVA airline actually offer to her customer a transist hotel stay at Taoyuan airport.

We paid around US$80 for the extra large and aging room given, please see picture attached to this review and it is absolutely not value for the amount, we would rather stay at the small but clean and well maintained room than the one given.

The room has the old, moldy smell, with the aging carpet and poor ventilation system, I tried to open the window for fresh air but it cannot be opened. The design is the old fasion chinese design which probably the same since the 60's.
The pros, are the friendly driver who drove us from the airport had introduced us what are the shops around the hotel and what can we do during our transist time and the breakfast meal box provided to us when we left the hotel in the early morning to the airport which I think it is a very sweet thing to do. But despite from that, I couldn't forget the horrible stay the night before.

Room Tip: Try to stay a more decent hotel as possible, don't try to save on the airport transfer.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank zuoann

Travellers are raving about these Taoyuan hotels

St Andrews, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

I stayed in this hotel the night before my flight home from Taiwan, they picked me up from the bus station and then took me to the airport in the morning. The staff were extremely helpful and I was upgraded to a suite for free and the room, while a little bit dated. was very clean and comfy and perfect for me the night before a long flight it was very relaxing. The hotel has a pool which looked really nice but unfortunately I couldn't use it as I didn't have a swimming cap which is required in most public swimming pools in Taiwan. I had a meal in the restaurant and as well as being really tasty it was amazing value at only 207NTD. Breakfast was very good, a massive buffet with something for everyone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank rlw38
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2010

Stayed here whist transiting for the day. The hotel is 25 minutes from the airport and they pick you up and drop you back afterwards. Organised through the Taiwan info desk at the airport. They charged us NTD1540 for a room between 8am and 7pm (which is good as there aren't many transit hotels and the cheaper motels usually only allow checkin at noon.

As previously stated, the rooms look 40 years old, but we were just after a clean bed to sleep in, which we got, and they had good aircon and dark curtains. We had a 16 month old bub and they were very accommodating for him. Room was large for him to play in as well. When we woke about 2pm, they look us to the local bus stop and we caught the bus into the main station (NTD65 each). They even dropped us at the stop (which saved a 10 minute walk). We went shopping in the excellent department store across the road from the bus station before catching a bus back to the airport (1 hour trip, 30 minute frequency).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Juergen1975
Okinawa, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

We stayed here on a stopover between flights from Australia to Japan. It's just gross. I barely slept. I didn't even want to crawl in between the sheets but this was a better option than sleeping on top of the dingy comforter on top. I felt like bugs were going to crawl out so I left all the lights on in the room the whole night. The view from the windows is slums. I didn't even shower because I felt the hotel was so grimy. There was a sign on the sink labeling which faucet had "drinkable" water and which did not. We arrived late and nothing was open in the hotel. Not even a soda machine. We went to a 7Eleven across the street to scrounge together a dinner for my children who had not eaten. We left too early to try the hotel breakfast, which is fine, I probably wouldn't have wanted to eat there anyway. I couldn't wait to get out of this hotel. It was a terrible way to end an otherwise wonderful vacation.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank brokebutseenitall
NSW
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

We stayed at this hotel because we had an overnight stopover in Taiwan thanks to China Airlines.
It was awful. The first thing you notice is the absolutely disgusting smell in the reception area. I think it must have been coming from the kitchen.
There was decaying pebblecrete in the rooms and hairs all over the bathroom. The carpet was dirty and shabby and it had a really dirty feel about the place.
If China Airlines is trying to promote Taiwan - don't send them to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family