“What a surprise”

Ranked #93 of 136 Hotels in Taoyuan
Melbourne, Australia
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2011

Stayed here as my flight was delayed in Saigon so missed connections in Taipei to Japan.
We were given this hotel compliments of China Airlines. It was a great surprise, the staff are so friendly and helpful. The dinner in the restuarant had great food, some of the best Chinese l have eaten. The lunch restaurant and breakfast buffet downstairs very good as well. We stayed in room 1215 a great corner room very spacious and nicely furnished.
The dumpling restaurant across the road is amazing don't miss it!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Launceston, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

I am staying at the Highness Hotel for 5 nights on a business trip. Breakfast is okay but limited but staff great, lunch is excellent value and delicious and lunch time staff are very good but note that opposite the hotel is an incredible Dumpling Shop very cheap and delicious and also a "Tasty" chain Restaurant which is good. The hotel staff here are extremely kind and friendly - at the front desk, the restaurant and even the maids. I am non-Chinese and they are all trying to make me feel at home. The bed is a bit hard but sheets are nice quality. No wireless internet only cable is very inconvenient. But the window can be opened safely. Bathroom is old but clean and everything you need.Plenty of towels and soaps etc. I recommend this hotel for the price and location and nice staff.

Room Tip: Go and see the different rooms before you pay.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Discerningtravel09
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

We were there for a family emergency and needed place near the airport for one night. So we let relatives book the hotel for us and were pleasantly surprised to see how Western in atmosphere it was. Highness Hotel was very clean and quiet. The complimentary breakfast was a good mixture of Western continental and Asian porridge items. The only negative was that the ethernet didn't work in our room. A positive was the hot boiled water dispenser in the room.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank virago7
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2008

I just returned from a very pleasant stay at the highness hotel. The rooms were clean and adequately appointed. The price was really reasonable (I paid around $75 US/ night, which included breakfast). The breakfast was good every morning - with both Asian and Western choices, buffet style. I speak some basic Mandarin, but the front desk staff all spoke English reasonable well. I had no trouble communicating, and they were always helping in arranging transportation. On my last day, there was some sort of electric short with most of the lights in my room, and they went off while I was trying to pack. I called the front desk, and someone was sent up immediately. He was unable to fix the problem, but as I was packing to leave and was in a hurry, he rounded up a large lamp for me to use to finish gathering my things.

Great stay overall, and I would recommend it.

• Liked — Cleanliness, check-in and check-out, breakfast
  • Disliked — Close to my meeting site, but not that close to Taipei downtown.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank biomanxii
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2007

we stayed at the highness hotel for the month of may this year. my husband was accepted to do fellowship at Chang Gung Hospital in Taoyuan and for convenience purposes, we decided to stay at highness hotel since its right across the street from hospital; the cost for the month was about what we paid in rent so we thought it was worth it. and it was. this was quaint, charming taiwanese hotel. we stayed in two different rooms during the month, both spacious rooms and basic toiletries were supplied and replenished daily and daily newspaper in english was provided for each room. there was complimentary in room high speed internet access and basic cable channels including espn, hbo and cinemax. breakfast was included in room price; the buffet included chinese breakfast in addition to typical western continental breakfast to include eggs and sausage but no pancakes or pastries. they state they have a fitness center and on their website the picture looks like state of the art gym. when you walk into the fitness center on 6th floor, you first see a pool that went without water the entire time we were there. after the pool the first thing you notice is that there's no AC and it was sweltering. they had only one functional treadmill that was so outdated with loose poorly functioning running belt; i felt like a hamster running inside a wheel doing most of the effort myself. but then again, working out in the heat and running hard, i felt i was getting a good workout, painful as it was. the neighorhood offered easily accessible 24 hour open mcdonalds and 7-eleven, they had kfc, pizza hut and even dominos. there are two restaurants in the hotel but we never had dinner there. overall our experience at highness was delightful. staff was always courteous, provided prompt housekeeping and service with a smile. the staff spoke very good english which helped enormously whenever we had questions or needed help. we would highly recommend this hotel if you find yourself in that part of the world.

• Liked — cleanliness and good service
  • Disliked — fitness center
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank cepeda