“Packaged tour from Melbourne”
Review of Chuto Plaza Hotel

Chuto Plaza Hotel
Ranked #62 of 138 Hotels in Taoyuan
Melbourne
“Packaged tour from Melbourne”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Arrived there at 9am with my sister.Could not check in but they put us in the gym area upstairs.There the staff was very helpful and she allowed us to rest in the adjoining room where there were reclining chairs where we rested until until check in time.
Room was not very big but it was clean and does not look worn out.
Reception was ok .Breakfast a bit of a disappointment compared to the hotels in Shanghai where there were lots of variety and continental breakfast too.
However, due to the kindness of the lovely lady who helped us relax before check in , it made our stay very memorable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank pauline K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I have stayed at the hotel on business for 6 weeks so far and will be back for another 5 weeks soon.

Hotel is reasonable with big clean rooms, very helpful staff (providing they can understand you but they always find someone who does). There are two restaurants in the hotel, the 'western' buffet and the Chinese restaurant, plus you can order food at the main bar. I would give the 'western' buffet a wide miss in the evenings. The Chinese restaurant is very good and so is most of the dishes from the bar menu.

In the mornings the 'Western Buffet' is okay for breakfast but we generally stick to toast, cereal and juices plus if you ask at the counter (where cereals are location) they will fry you an egg or two. We are there so much when they see our crowd and they send over eggs (and occasionally hash browns).

There is three bars in the hotel, but I have never seen any other one open apart from the one in reception area. There is a gym, squash court, swimming pool, spa and games/tv area. In the games area there is two pool tables and in a side room there is a ping-pong table. You can order drinks from the games area. The pool is closed from Dec to sometime in spring for maintenance as we were told people don't travel as much then. If you want to swim you need a swimming cap.

Local near to the hotel is lots of street food and some corner shops (family mart, 7-eleven etc) where you can buy a drink and sit outside and watch the scooters go by. Within walking distance there is a lot of shops and food outlets. This area is not very touristy so you wont find many English translated menus, so why not have fun with a mystery dish night. We did and it was fun.

Within 5 minutes taxi ride (cost $3 USD) you can get to Taoyuan central/downtown shopping area where there is a lot going on. There is lots of shopping on offer and for food we tried a few places in the shopping mall right next to train station. A few minutes away is also a great little pizza/wings place called The HOP, which is run by a bloke from Buffalo, NY.

Within 20/30 minutes taxi ride ($13-15) there is the TaiMall which is a high end shopping mall and has some great restaurants.

If you have the afternoon off and want to explore, try the Hǔtóushān Park which is within 5/10 minutes taxi ride. ($5).

Now this hotel is not at top of my list but we stay there as its closer to work and a good balance between a (short) commute and having options/things to do.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank John B
Singapore
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed here due to a flight delay. Located not far from airport. It's along a main road lined with old-fashioned Taiwanese shops and eateries. Has a market feel in the morning. Hotel itself is big and has a few blocks or annexes. Very clean. Deco is classic Euro. Not contemporary design.
Staff was attentive. Simple hotel with not much frills. Simple in style.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank The_Walking_Angel
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Checked in to this hotel first night in Taiwan. Prior to that I had a package delivered to this hotel and the sender arranged to have them safe keep until I check-in. After arriving I collected the package without any hassle and staff were also friendly to assist me. Rooms were clean and comfortable enough. Free wifi was also provided, that is a plus. Location wise was a bit quiet around the area, a lot of factories. A mini mart is nearby so that is fine, but if you are planning to go to town or night markets be prepared to take a taxi.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wai_mun15
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This may actually be the worst hotel in Taiwan. The location is among car repair shops and other small commercial shops, there are no food outlets you would want to visit within walking distance.

There is strangely enough always plenty of staff hovering around in the reception area, mind you the way they are dressed you are never sure if they are actually staff, all very smiling but hardly anyone can speak English or answer any questions.

The room numbering is rather confusing always leaving people wondering what floor they are going to when entering the lift. The rooms are spacious but with very hard beds, strange chemical shampoo and body-wash in the bathroom which makes you wonder if your hair will fall off after use. You got to love the photo of the Playmobil chef on the cover of the room service menu, doesn't exactly give you confidence in ordering that late night snack.

I have tried the restaurant a couple of times but wouldn't recommend it, once found a big piece of bone in the beef patties of the hamburger, really makes you wonder what else they put in there.

There is also a "gym", which is very 80's, at least that's when their equipment seems to be from.

All in all just forget about it and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank HKexpat88

Travellers are raving about these Taoyuan hotels

Mainz, Germany
Reviewed 10 February 2012

This hotel seems quite nice, which it certainly was several years back, but since then it seems to have run down alot.
In Taiwan its typical that a consierge opens the door, as soon as your taxi arrives, but nothing - ok, I dont really need that, but its very unusual for Taiwan... Just take it at a first hint. At the front desk I had to wait some time, until the clerks finished talking - very untypical for Taiwan. In my last hotel (cheaper than Chuto) I waited 2 seconds at max and 3 ppl were trying to help me. Again, thats nothing necessary, but for Taiwan this is the scond hint for very bad service (by Taiwanese standards).
But the Problem started in my room. The hallway already smelled quite bad, but was nothing compared to my room. It was a strong musky smell and I'm pretty sure that its from fungus. This typical musky, moist smell, ehen you knoiw, something is really wrong. I thought: well, I'm here for only one week and I have already put up with much worse. Then I checked the room:
- Hair in the bathtub
- alot of Hair 15-20 pcs in the drawer (! How?)
- all tables, the bathroom floor and acessories had watermarks on them. And not only a little.

Well, I can live with some dirt, I can clean myself, but anyway I asked for a new room, mainly because of the smell. I don't know, if they didn't want to understand me, but they sent a maid to the room to clean. She was very kind, and unbelievably sorry, but didn't even wipe anything, she just put the vacuum cleaner in the bathtub...The other things she didn't even realize. That was the point where I thought, this is bad. Its OK, if you have forgotten something, but what I've seen in my room seems to be the usual case. I got some cleansing products and room scent from the nearby Family Mart to survive the night, and decided to check out into another hotel (even though farther away) the next day. Chuto Plaza, never again.

If you have the choice, take Chinatrust Landmark Hotel, its not too far, a little more in the center (5 min to the Railway, 3 malls close by and 3 night markets in 3 min walking distance.) and costs the same.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MyNameTrip2012
MN
Reviewed 20 March 2011

The hotel tries, good service, kind and friendly people, but it's very unimpressive.

The room I had was a large room, but very musty smell, crappy internet, only a couple English tv channels, and very thin walls.

Service was prompt. Room service food bad. Breakfast definitely Asian, with runny eggs and sausage about the only western options in addition to bread.

While I was there, the hotel was overrun by Asian tourists. I counted 18 tour buses in the parking lot oone morning. Breakfast room was packed and a very hectic way to start your day dealing with sort of stuff.

I have stayed here a number of years ago and it wasnt' bad from what I recall, but when I go back to Taipei, I defintiely won't stay here regardless how close it might be to where I need to go to work.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business