“Good service and comfortable room”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Arusha Crown Hotel

Arusha Crown Hotel
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Greater Sydney, Australia
“Good service and comfortable room”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed here one night on two separate occasions while in transit in Arusha. We found that two of the three staff we dealt with were helpful and friendly beyond expectation. The man at the front desk when we arrived comforted us after we had been ripped off by either the shuttle operator or some taxi drivers (or possibly both in cahoots) and then arranged for someone to go and buy our onward bus ticket for us so we wouldn't get ripped off.

On our second stay, the young woman at the front desk rang around people she knew for information about safari operators so we could get an idea of what was around for a short safari or day trip. We didn't end up booking through any of them but appreciated the effort. The third member of staff we dealt with (night duty on the first trip) was less friendly but still helpful enough to serve us breakfast at 5am so we could catch an early bus!

The rooms we had were both clean and comfortable. On our first stay, we were upgraded to one of the corner rooms with a view of Mt Meru and the stadium. One the second stay we had a more basic room but it was still fine. The showers were excellent! As others have said, there aren't enough powerpoints to be able to charge multiple devices. We didn't care about watching TV so were both able to charge one phone each, but no more than that.

The location around the corner from the main bus station was ideal for us as we were in transit. On the first stay, we had to catch a 6am bus the next morning so the hotel arranged for someone to escort us to the bus station. He carried our luggage for us (on his head, of course, although it was suitcase with wheels!) and waited until we were safely on the bus. He didn't seem to expect any payment.

We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant one night and the food was quite ok. On our second stay we didn't have to leave early in the morning so we were able to take full advantage of the breakfast buffet, and that was quite good too. They cooked our eggs to order so they were fresh.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My friend and I stayed here in October just before catching a safari from Arusha.

The hotel was deserted when we stayed here, we were the only people in the dining room both days, for breakfast and dinner!

The room itself was good, nice comfortable beds, and nice and clean. There was always hot water for the shower.

When we stayed here, there seemed to be rolling blackouts for some reason, and we got caught in one just as a film was finishing on TV!!

All in all, a nice comfortable, easy stay in Arusha. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on business. Rooms compact but quite OK, desk you can work on, no a/c but not a problem at least in November. Not enough electrical sockets in the room to let you watch TV at night whilst your phone & laptop are charging. Staff friendly, very central location, convenient for Big Bite restaurant. Definitely halal so don't expect to be able to get a beer in the restaurant or bacon for breakfast. Mosque somewhere very close and went on a bit at dusk, but strangely I didn't notice the morning call to prayer. Very close to the stadium and I guess that the area would become busy & noisy if there was match on.

Recommended

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed at the Arusha Crown a total of three times (one night each) while in Tanzania. It was a great base of operations for me. The rooms are solid, good beds, hot showers, modern amenities. I found it comparable to a Best Western type hotel in the US. I was annoyed by the morning call to prayer but the Hotel has nothing to do with that. Breakfast comprised fresh fruits, breads, eggs, sausages (hot dogs) and drinks. Hearty enough to begin my safari.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. When the hotel didn't have enough shillings to exchange money, they sent someone to a bureau de change for me. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DrBellowz
Los Angeles
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I stayed here one night before going on a safari. It's a fairly new hotel, only 4 years old. It's right across from the stadium and surrounded by hardware stores. The rooms were nice for an average hotel. No air conditioning, but a fan seemed to be sufficient.

As other reviewers mentioned, the mosque nearby is quite loud. The windows on even the 4th floor windows seemed quite thin. You can even hear people down below talking. If not for the loudness of the rooms, I would probably rate it higher. Otherwise, it had good cable television and a nice lobby restaurant.

Two large grocery stores are across the street and a block to the right if you need to shop for your safari.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank globetrekker728
Nyeri, Kenya
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Located in a busy section of town, it wasnt really my kind of place but I checked in out of conveniency because the others werent accepting VISA cards. The first time I was disappointed because I was charged non- resident fee which should'nt be the case for any East African resident but the second time I visited (I liked the place despite the discrimination) they had suddely done away with the system.
Crown has superb rooms and one of the best buffet breakfast you can ever find in Arusha. The service is exemplary. I love this place!

Room Tip: Choose the much quiter rooms facing east if you intend to wake up late
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank wamae
Slovakia
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This hotel surprised us. In a positive way.
We liked the location - in downtown, from which you can easily walk wherever is in Arusha something tourist important or just to walk around. You don’t need to take taxi every time you want to go to buy something or just to see the city around. From the first point of view downtown and hotel location could seem dirtier and not safe comparing the parts of Arusha, which are outside the city centre and where many hotels are located; we were scary at the beginning, but then we realized that this is true city life and it just seems to be not safe.
The hotel is very modern. If you take the corner rooms (take these if I can advise and you won’t be unsatisfied), which are very spacious, light and airy, you will get the highest hotel standard room for the very good and lowest price, if I comparing hotels outside the city centre, often with lower standards and more expensive. The room was often clean, no smells inside, A/C, all time hot water, free mineral water in the room and free internet on the reception’s lap-top (just ask), with the hotel flip-flops on the entrance to the shower (As I wrote this hotel gives you standards for which you will pay, in the other parts of Arusha – e.g. road from Kilimanjaro airport, twice a more. We were checked one best known hotel from trip advisor’s reviews and we decided not to change Arusha Crown hotel.). Just don’t be scared by the location and people living there, they are not danger to you even they stare at you as you are not use to at home and even they contacting you by offering you a safari. Breakfasts were OK, tastier then e.g. in Nairobi, no complains at all.
I especially liked the pre-conversation with this hotel when I booked the room. They always replied promptly to my emails and did not ask for any advanced payment.
If I went to Arusha for safari again, I would definitely choose this hotel for what it offers.

Room Tip: take the corner room
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple