“unique”
Review of Outpost Lodge

Outpost Lodge
Ranked #8 of 125 Arusha B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2013

the outpost, upon arriving, one thinks you are perhaps lost. the road (if you can call it that) is full of potholes, bumpy and very very narrow. however, that is about the only negative thing for this small hotel. rooms are airy and nice. this is not a 4 or 5 star, but definitely a good place to stay. mosquito netting on/over beds, hot water showers even if the city has the water turned off. they have there own tower with water, and I believe they have there own generator also. the price of 60 to 65 a night, includes a breakfast buffet. you get coffee, tea, ceral (hot or cold) toast, fresh fruit (I had banana, pineapple and watermelon) and egg omelet cooked in front of you. also got one sausage with breakfast (I did not like them). you could get bacon, but that would be an extra charge. the lunch and dinners were good. the swimming pool area was a delight to sit around and read, swimming looked fun - I forgot to bring my suit as I was on a safari. most of the travelers staying here were there for either a safari or to hike to mt kilamajaro. English spoken and all very easy to understand. if you are going on a safari a great place to stay. it was about a 15 minute walk or so to the market place for goods and fruits. taxis available, but no local bus.

Room Tip: I would choose rooms around s1 to s5. rooms a were too close to bar, if a party was going on
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bhondablue
There are newer reviews for Outpost Lodge

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here for two night - one before safari and one after.
The first room we got was A3 and this room was absolutely gorgeous big airy spacious. We were just after climbing Kilimanjaro and this was the perfect room to just relax in. It was stunning. We ate at Cafe Mambo and the choice of food was plenty and the food was very good probably the best restaraunt we ate in Tanzania. The pool was nice and the gardens were beautiful.
After our Safari we got room N5 i think it was opposite reception up stairs. This room was very date and a bit odd as we had to go through one door with key then there was outr bathroom entrance our bedroom entrance and also a store room entrance. The bedroom was very very dated but had everything we needed in it and was spacious and airy. This room was a bit of a come down after staying in the first one but there was nothing actually wrong with the room. So we would not complain about it at all.
The staff were nice and helpful. I would definetly reccomend this if you are staying in Arusha.

Room Tip: Try ask for the rooms starting with A they are lovely
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Totally acceptable hotel with decent, relatively clean rooms and a good kitchen. We stopped over here on our way to and from hiking up Kilimanjaro and for that purpose, Outpost lodge works fine. Its relatively close to the city if you decide to explore Arusha a little.

Room Tip: Try to get a room outside of the main building. The main building rooms are a bit worn and can be no...
Reviewed 25 October 2013

3 of us stayed at Outpost lodge a day before and after our Mt Kilimanjaro climb 1st week in October. I must say that our stay was pleasant, the atmosphere is so peaceful. I love the dining area, pool area and the little sitting area, it is so cozy. The rooms are spotless and we had a good stay. Only thing is that it would have been nice for the wifi to work in the rooms as well, but it was good reception at the pool area. Our luggage was stored away until we got back. The workers are friendly, and very helpful. Thank you, I definitely recommend anyone to stay here, not forgetting it is value for money.

1  Thank LLinda333
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at the Outpost Lodge two days prior to my Kili climb and then stayed another night before and then after my safari. I found the rooms very basic and clean, just as expected. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant had a very wide selection of options and I found every meal prepared very well. I would come back to Outpost Lodge and will recommend it to friends.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed for one night before we went out on safari. Grounds seemed safe, but all info given in the room said basically don't leave the grounds without security - as in don't even go to the bank a couple hundred meters down the street. Unlike most places in Tanzania, person who brought bags to room pretty much asked for a tip rather than just split the tip one usually leaves at end of stay that gets split communally. Room was basic, as said in other reviews. Pool was nice to soak our feet and sit around with a soda. Power went out for a while during the night, and believe they were burning trash or something as smelled of smoke for some of the night as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Fisheaglepoint, Owner at Outpost Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for taking your time to let us know about your stay at The Outpost.

We had no idea that staff carrying luggage to rooms were soliciting tips. There is, in fact, a central tip box which is split between all staff. We sincerely apologize that you were subject to this experience and we are following up to ensure that this habit does not continue.

It is not our intention to frighten guests into staying on our grounds and security to go out-and -about is certainly not necessary! Our notice in the rooms is intended purely as a reminder to be sensible.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here for two days before I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro and a day after.

I arrived late at night and there was someone at reception to check me in & help carry the bags to my room. The room was basic but functional, and had all the amenities I required. I was on a backpacking trip so I wasn't looking for luxurious surroundings. The room could have benefitted from some renovation, the door didn't fit properly and there was a large gap underneath it that a small animal could have fitted through so I didn't feel particularly secure. Also the wifi service which was advertised was not available in my room, though the people next door could get it. I also had no hot water in the shower for the first two days, though I did in the basin.

I had a different room after the climb and it was much better. The door fitted properly, the room was better furnished and I had lots of hot water. I also got wifi in this room.

What you cannot escape in this establishment is the howling of the neighbourhood dogs at night . All three nights I stayed the nearby dogs howled and barked all night, so sleeping soundly was therefore ruled out and it made the area seem slightly intimidating.

I never used the pool so can't comment on that though I did see someone cleaning it every day. I also left luggage here while I climbed Kilimanjaro and it was held in a secure place and labelled etc.

The food at the B&B's cafe, Cafe Mambo, was good and the service was very reasonable. Our food arrived fairly quickly after being ordered and was hot and tasty. The menu was extensive and catered for all dietary requirements, prices were very reasonable and the staff were very pleasant.

Given I wasn't on a trip where I expected luxury then the accommodation was perfectly adequate and acceptable for my purpose.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo