“Pleasant hotel, wonderful staff”
Review of Hotel Flamingo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arusha
Hotel Flamingo
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pleasant hotel, wonderful staff”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We spent a few nights at Hotel Flamingo at the end of our trip. We traveled on a budget, and while relatively inexpensive, the hotel was the cleanest and safest feeling one we stayed in.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the staff. Their help and suggestions were invaluable during our stay - whether it was booking a safari tour, arranging transportation, or recommending restaurants. One of our companions had an issue with her flights home, and the staff were so helpful and supportive while she untangled the mess with the airline company. Everyone at Hotel Flamingo were genuinely happy to help us (and I noticed this with other guests as well - it wasn't just us!).

I've spent a number of months in Arusha, staying in quite a number of hotels, hostels, etc. and I can easily say our stay at Hotel Flamingo was one of the best!

Room Tip: It is very close to a few mosques so if you go during Ramadan (as we did), prepare for early morning...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at Hotel Flamingo for one night before starting my safari. This is a basic hotel, but the room with mosquito net-covered bed is more spacious than I expect with many built-in shelves. When I was there, I noticed some new plug points are being installed and a TV frame is being put up. So I think the hotel is planning to install a TV inside each room soon.
Truth to be told, I have a good feeling about this place right from the start. Ian (flamingoarusha@yahoo.com), the manager, responds to my booking inquiry 5 months before my trip and could not be more attentive in addressing any sort of questions I might have. I am also glad that I have a chance to meet him in person while I was there - a great person all around. One day prior to my arrival, Ian helped arrange a cab driver, Thomas, to come pick me up from JRO - a last minute decision since I was planning to take the Fastjet shuttle to town but wanted to arrive quicker since I was a little tired. I can honestly say that Thomas is the sweetest man I have met in my entire Tanzania trip. Great conversationalist who knows how to make you feel comfortable during the 1h driving journey from JRO into Arusha town. Had I stayed longer in Arusha, I would have no hesitation engaging Thomas to bring me around. Upon arrival at Hotel Flamingo, I also find the check-in staff is awesome, helpful, and cheerful.
Breakfast is the typical sort you eat in Tanzania - fruits, eggs, toasts, coffee/tea. Yummy and more than enough to fill you up!
And yes, the prayer calls from nearby mosque can be loud, but I am not bothered by it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mrcapybara
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Hostel Flamingo surprised us with western style in rather not popular for tourists area. Place was nice and comfortabale, staff very nice and helpful. However it is situated next to the mosque and you have to wake up with the muezzin:)

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed here before and after my Mt. Kili trek, the Flamingo was such a perfect respite! Fabulous bed, got shower and absurdly friendly staff. The breakfast is fresh and personalized, the BBQ place nearby is a great and easy convenience and the night market not a far walk. Pure love!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Kenora, Canada
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I spent one night here. Extremely clean, simple, bed nets, good breakfast. It was the staff that really made it a nice stay. They were all smiles, very helpful, answered all my questions, and stored all my valuables with no issue. There was a problem with my door and within 10 minutes they had a maintenance guy in to fix it for me. The laundry service was a tad expensive but convenient and timely (I paid 5000 tsh to launder 5 larger items). The internet is extremely slow (but speeds up when everyone is at mosque!) and very cheap to use. Breakfast was included and good - hot coffee with warm milk was a highlight (I got used to, and now enjoy instant africafe). Oh, and the hot shower was a luxury. It's sticking out of the wall in the bathroom so things tend to get a little wet.

The location is central, close to bbq's and supermarkets. I didn't feel comfortable leaving the area alone at night because there are few/no street lights, but during the day I walked all over the place. The mosques are loud! Louuuud!!! And they are going full volume at midnight as well as 5am. So, bring some earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

Good quality, clean budget hotel.

Room Tip: Maybe try to get a room higher up. Book early if you can because it's often full.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Damnablewing
canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Not the fanciest place you'll ever stay in, but if you're just looking for something simple and clean, you won't go wrong here. It's absolutely no frills but very evident that the employees care about the hotel and they care about you. Recommended if you're not looking for pampering and just want a home. Yes the mosques were loud but I found that I slept through the prayer calls okay.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed only one night here. But found the experience magical. Rooms are well presented & breakfast was great, loved the tea. But the staff just made it. They were friendly and very helpful Recommend to any travellers on a budget

• Stayed June 2013