“DECENT HOTEL”

Naura Springs Hotel
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Spent a week at the hotel with my family and friends from Kenya over Christmas.
On arrival, we were well received by the manager,Beatrice, at the reception.There was always someone at the reception desk to assist us-lest i forget the two very pretty concierges.
The manager was also available daily at her office near the parking lot and next to the curio shops.
We got booked into family rooms.
The family rooms (2 adjacent rooms with connecting doors) were very well serviced.Have hot water shower in one room and a jacuzzi in the other.
The rooms each had TV's with local channels and satellite TV channels- i did not miss any football during my stay.
Wi-fi was available in the rooms and around the hotel at certain spots.
Did not have time to test the swimming pool( good looking one too) -it was raining in Arusha for most of the days in the Christmas week.
They also have a gym-too bad i was there for a holiday and not a work out so i did not get to use it.There is golf course 2 minutes drive away from the hotel-the Gymkana which provided a good workout.
The meals are reasonably good- the buffet breakfast ranking highest.
The service staff at the hotel were well behaved and responsive for room service or queries, There was a telephone available in my each room for coomunicating with the reception desk.I could even communicate with my freinds staying at the hotel in their rooms.
Room security was very good-the magnetic card access systems are in place.
The only blemish in the hotels' packages is the the lack of facilities and activities for children-a playroom and children activities during the holidays.
I am surprised at the negative blogs in the reviews i read before going to the hotel-makes you wonder if the contributors were staying at Naura Springs.

Room Tip: Talk to the manager, Beatrice.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ndegwa m
There are newer reviews for Naura Springs Hotel

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I was a Delegate and Speaker at the Tanzania Mining Indaba held at the Arusha International Conference Centre from 24 – 26 October 2012.
Prior to my highly anticipated journey to Arusha, and with no prior knowledge of the town, I Googled numerous reviews of the Naura Springs Hotel of which Trip Advisor was the first.
Let me begin by saying that my experience may not be the same as previous visitors to this hotel. Hence my comments are my personal opinion based on the facts of my visit and are without prejudice. I am going to review this hotel in bullet point form.
1. Upon arrival on 23 October, I was met by disorganised unfriendly reception staff that were not geared through experience or hotel training to deal with front line customers.
2. After 20 minutes I was ushered to room 201 which when arriving there showed that a family had already booked into this room and made themselves at home.
3. I was ushered back to the reception where after another 20 minutes was ushered up to room 1105 on the 11th floor – the so called Presidential Suite/Floor. Room 1105 is a small side room adjacent to a suite with a locked interleading door. The bed had not been made up yet (16h00), the cupboards were broken, there was no air conditioner and no television set. (let me remind the reader that the temperature in Arusha was in the upper thirty’s centigrade on average).
4. I assertively stated that for what I had paid as a room rate this was not acceptable and at least expected air-conditioning and a TV set.
5. I was ushered back down to reception where after another 20 minutes I was sent back up to room 1201. The room is also situated on the 11th floor up a small staircase to the right. The room was acceptable insofar as it had a working aircon, a small working TV, a decent bed made up with clean sheets, but intermittent hot water in an open bath shower with no curtain, and no safe for valuables. Admittedly the view of the city and Mr Meru from this height was very pleasant.
6. To cut a very long story short, the hotel manager was never anywhere to be seen (Beatrice); the left hand there does not know what the right hand is doing, ever. The general service levels are poor and slow. The staff needs to be trained to speak English better, and to become more customer satisfaction focussed. The food was not fantastic. There was no Wi-Fi. I arrived back at the room after conference on Thursday evening (25th) to find my room door (20h00) wide open with all the lights on; I could have been robbed, luckily I wasn’t. My anger at this incident did not even have Beatrice the Manager make the effort to come to me the next day and offer even a casual apology. She looks like a lovely lady, but has absolutely no clue what is going on in her own back yard.
There is really nothing about this establishment that I would write home about. I will regretfully not be staying at this hotel again, which is a pity for the staff who have obviously received no training. No customers mean poor results; poor results closes down hotels. Closed hotel + staff out of the street unemployed. Sad.
All delegates at the conferences had rave reviews of the following hotels in Arusha.
a) The Arusha Hotel
b) Mount Meru Hotel

I wish you a Bon Voyage.

Greeting

Ps: Neema behind the reception was the only smiling staff member, ever… good for you Neema!

Room Tip: I was a Delegate and Speaker at the Tanzania Mining Indaba held at the Arusha International Conferen...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The continental cuisine was well done. Rooms were tastefully prepared yet simple in design. The staff were very helpful, however, there were gaps in communication at times as some attempted to decipher what I was going on about in English. It appears to me Kiswahili is their preferred lingua franca. Residents have access to free Internet, Gym and Sauna 24hours a day. However, if you are on a floor higher than 4th, the Internet hotspot is lackluster at best and non existent at most times.

Room Tip: My only challenge was getting enough people able to communicate in English. If you are competent in...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I liked the fact that we had a very good meeting package and the rooms were large, though oddly furnished and with only one free socket.

However, the lack of management and attention to detail was an outstanding feature of the week. While there were many staff and they were generally pleasent, they were not able to assist very much. Attempts to ask for an Indian resturant, for example, were met with blank stares. As the previous reviewer says, bills were almost always inflated and change 'forgotten'. My final bill was inflated by randomly added items which I had clearly not signed for.There was a drama when their credit card machine didnt work and I had to borrow cash from a colleague.

Meals were sometimes late but the quality was reasonable, especially lunch. The internet connection was generally poor.

Urgently in need of some management and integrity from the staff. I give it two not one stars because the rate was so reasonable ($80 for room and 3 meals daily per person) but I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bubu3
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed at Naura springs hotel - a large glass building - trying to look sophisticated but just missing it. The rooms were massive and the staff cheated on every attempt. At breakfast you had to fight for food - with them - as instead of cooking omlets for the payings guests they were busy eating cereal and finishing the last of the milk. In my friend;s room when she went to pack - she found her shoes were hidden in an obscure location ( so she would not find them) -and the bar - well - during the week -they would come with a (hand written bill) and say you owed for 8 glasses of wine -when you had 2 - hoping you would not read. The same with peaunuts and more - the final blow was checking out - when someone had forged by bills and wrote 12 (the 2 was highlighted) instead of 10 and well some very old fashioned and blatent cheating we really do not expect anymore. I wont go into the grabbing the tea and the other issues!!!

Room Tip: dont go there - the staff at numerous levels are trying to rip you off, they all have strategies to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Kassie M
Reviewed 23 March 2012

To begin with, I am very glad that the contact number on their website actually works (nothing to me is more depressing than calling a non-existent number!). Considering that It was my first time to travel to Tanzania the lady who took my call was very warm and she ensured that I had a cab to handle my transfer from Kilimanjaro airport in time. The receptionists through out my stay were equally warm, helpful and elegantly dressed. My room was really spacious with beautiful furniture. I thought the layout was fantastic! The bathroom was equally great. The only problem was that I didn't seem to have hot water and my shower pressure was too much; so much that the water spilled all over the place. I guess that was only in my bathroom. That aside, my room was exquisite.
I thought the service during meals was excellent! The waiters were always on stand by and always made sure my table wasn't cluttered. They always removed every dish/utensil I wasn't using. They also made sure I was comfortable. That was definitely memorable about Naura Springs. The food too was great. I must say the kitchen staff were on point.
I enjoyed the three nights I spent at Naura Springs and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an elegant taste of Tanzania.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed at the Naura Springs and presented at a 1 day conference there. The room was very good; large, great bathroom, good shower, free and fast wireless and - in my case - with a view of Mt Meru. I would certainly recommend staying there.

Their conference facilities were good, but disorganised. We were due to start at 9am and at 920am the technician arrived with the projector and mics. He then disappeared for 15mins and came back to connect everything. As a result, we started late and the timetable for the day was disrupted. The hotel was aware of the technical needs for the conference because they were communicated beforehand (and they were not unusual).

They have the capability to hold a conference, but this lack of organisation was irritating.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business