“3 wonderful months!”

Ranked #28 of 166 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Stenstorp
“3 wonderful months!”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Me and my two friends went to Tanzania in the middle of september 2012 and stayed at Kundayo for 3 months. We had a wonderful time, it really felt like home and it was really sad to leave when the time for us to leave Tanzania came.
All the stuff, especially Mazo - the owner, are really great. They are always there if you need help or advice about something.
The apartment was simple, but really nice - and everyday they cleaned it (amazing!)
If you want to get to the centrum of Arusha, you can take a daladala just outside Kundayo. It only takes 5-10 minutes and is really cheap. You can also walk along the main road, about 30-40 minutes walk.
I would really recommend others to stay at Kundayo if visiting Arusha!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I stayed here for a little over 4 months while working in Arusha, Tanzania and I had no previous experience living in Africa before that time. Coming from the United States I was not sure what to expect when I arrived in Arusha. However, the owner and staff of Kundayo Apartments went above and beyond my expectations on a daily basis to make my 4-month stay in Arusha one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Amenities here include a great restaurant, which is ON THE PREMISES, providing a full service bar and menu that I found to be one of the best choices for food in Arusha (in both price and selection). I must stress the fact that the restaurant is on-site...for those of you who have never been to Arusha, it can sometimes be difficult (or expensive) to travel in and out of town for meals when you don't have a vehicle...and Kundayo provides one of the better options for food right there at the Apartment complex. The restaurant also provides free Wi-Fi access to all of its guest...another high-end luxury in Arusha that my co-workers who stayed elsewhere did not enjoy. The Wi-Fi speed was fast enough to talk with friends and family back home every night on Skype. Kundayo also provides 24-hour security guards who are both friendly (to guests) and fierce (to outsiders) making my stay here feel extremely safe. Last, but certainly not least, the Staff at Kundayo were truly "out of this world" in terms of being friendly and welcoming. My room was cleaned everyday when I came home from work, fresh towels, toiletries, clean dishes, new bed-sheets, etc. I occasionally ordered room-service from the restaurant, etc. I cannot say enough about the people who work at Kundayo. In order to make this an honest review, I feel like I should write about the negatives as well...however, any negative aspects of Kundayo were only related to negative aspects of living in Arusha as a whole (i.e., frequent power-outages, daily transportation costs, etc). So any "negative" that I could attribute to Kundayo would be applicable to staying EVERYWHERE or ANYWHERE in Arusha, not just at Kundayo. It truly was one of the better places to live in Arusha in my opinion and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Christopher D
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I stayed here for two months this summer. The rooms were kept in great shape and the staff were always more than willing to help us out with whatever we needed. There is a security officer by the gate 24/7 and they have amenities such a lounge and garden area that served us well as meeting and exercise areas. The restaurant doesn't get much traffic and thus the options can be limited and service can be slow at times, but they have a great range of affordable and healthy food. I'd highly recommend Kundayo to anyone looking for home-away-from-home!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Meaghan L
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I've stayed here a number of times, over 5-6 years. The staff are my extended family, always welcoming me back with hugs and smiles. This is a family-run business by people who have lived in the area for generations. The apartments are modest by American standards, and would not be the right choice for someone wanting all the services of a hotel. But there is a restaurant on the grounds that cooks everything to order (so allow 30-45 minutes, depending). The Swahili chicken stew has heavenly flavors! There is great security, wifi, and friendly staff. If you are inclined to go for a walk, the neighborhood has very interesting villages. (If you get lost, just ask for Kundayo, and you'll be pointed in the right direction!) You'll hear the sounds of the villages, including the mosque's call to prayer, roosters, and other indications that you are in the midst of everyday life. You won't feel isolated, away in a fancy hotel. If air conditioning is important, you'll want to search elsewhere. But it can't be beat for warmth of the heart.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kathym135
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed here for 12 nights in July / August 2012, the apartment was very good value; and gave us lots of space for a low rate.

The central area has a good restaurant and the Moto Lounge with its real fire was lovely.

Apartments were cleaned and looked after well; and full security provided.

All in all an ideal place to stay as part of a longer holiday where we were looking to save some cash.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Martin F
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I spent the month of February, 2012 in Tanzania with another friend from Canada. Our "home base" was at Kundayo, but we ventured off to Kilimanjaro, Serengeti and even a side trip to Dodoma. During our stay at Kundayo we got to know the owner, Mazo, very well, along with some of the staff (particularly Sebastian who works in the restaurant and Peter who guards the gate during the day). During our ventures to other parts of Tanzania, our excess luggage was stored in a locked room (at no charge). Service in the hotel was excellent, the food in the restaurant was fresh and plentiful, and the staff were always friendly and helpful. Kundayo is a bit off the beaten track in Arusha, but it is only a couple dollars by taxi to the Clock Tower (or you can walk there, during the day, in about 30 minutes). The hotel is gated, with security at night, so we felt secure to sit out and watch the stars until late at night. Although the rooms come with fully furnished kitchens, we chose to eat most meals at the restaurant or with our friends from Arusha. WARNING: Like much of Arusha, Kundayo is prone to power outages, so power may not always be available. This could be a problem if you have perishable items in the refrigerator. NOTE: If you eat at Kundayo for dinner, note that the food is always prepared fresh - dinners are very good, but take a long time to be served. Relax! You're on African time! Order another Kili (or Tusker, or Konyagi and bitter lemon) and watch the stars. The food, when it arrives, will be well worth the wait!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Skyrider_West
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This was a terrific find. $360 U.S for 8 nights including Breakfast
Yes you have read right. We had our own Kitchen which made it much easier There was a lounge with open fireplace and a Restaurant Looked after very well, arranged for transport for us for a couple of days, and we were very safe with a guard on the gate All speaking English, which helps.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple