“Hostel ujamaa”

and 1 more site!
Ujamaa Hostel
Ranked #20 of 175 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Awesome hostel. Very friendly, hard working and polite staff. Breakfast and dinner included. Good value for money. I stayed for a month there and had a great time.

• Stayed: October 2011
There are newer reviews for Ujamaa Hostel

Reviewed 30 October 2011

We had a great time at the Ujamaa recently,staying there as volunteers on our first trip to beautiful Tanzania.The hostel is comfortable and well-equipped, with a gorgeous garden and views of Mt Meru.The food is good and plentiful and we were looked after amazingly by the lovely girls who work there and sing all day long! Although we were the oldest by far, the other residents were lovely and we had lots of fun together, culminating in a night "on the town" before we left for safari.
The volunteers project we chose was the Dympna special school-- a brilliant, happy school ,which well deserves support and will remain in our hearts.We also helped with a picnic by the nearby river for street -boys and all had a brilliant time.
Shanga, a work-centre for deaf people, who create wonderful items out of recycled materials, is worth a visit -- go for lunch too-its yummy.

Room Tip: Book a bottom bunk, if you are "older", or you may be faced with a climb! The "girls...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2011

A great place to stay. Great location, great staff, great volunteer program, great owners, Carley and Gasper, for initiating the hostel and volunteer program and expect to have a GREAT time while staying at Ujamaa Hostel, Arusha!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2011

An excellent hostel, ideally located close to the city, with friendly staff, delicious food and comfy beds-with mosi nets. And for those seeking something more, fantastic links to volunteer projects, that really do make a difference! Asante.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I must shamelessly praise the Ujamaa Volunteer Hostel in Arusha, Tanzania for their incredible hospitality, cleanliness, and connectedness to the community. I am a part of a volunteer group with The Juilliard School in NYC that, for the last three years, has come to Arusha for extensive stays. Owners Carley and Gasper have a very visible presence and nail the balance between professionalism and kindness right on the head. Hard. They are genuinely gracious people and business owners, and have been consistently receptive to all of our needs both in and out of the hostel.

As a trip leader, it is sometimes hard to find a place that can accommodate the needs of groups-- which unavoidably entails other complications (food, travel plans, our bizarre artsy fartsy members, etc). Still, Ujamaa has tended to all of our oddities swiftly and hospitably.

Furthermore, their 'Volunteer Experience'-- hooking guests of the hostel up with a project in the community-- creates an underlying pulse of good will with your bunkmates. This in turn cultivates a deep sense of family and community. The ' Volunteer Experience' itself is remarkably organized and oriented seamlessly by the staff. In a city that may seem daunting and unnavigable at first culture-shocked glance, Ujamaa makes you feel welcomed and incredibly inspired to get involved!

Another huge selling point is its location-- a short walk from the Clocktower downtown area, markets and transportation are easily accessible. You're 10 minutes from the Maasai craft market, a corner grocery, numerous internet cafes, delicious local restaurants, the Via Via night club . . . and quite frankly whatever else you may need. Still, the hostel itself is wedged beautifully inside of local daily life on a side road-- peace and quiet.

Did I mention the food is drool-worthy and cooked by the sweetest Tanzanian women on the planet? Well, it is.

But most importantly, I feel the staff trust me as a guest and have respect for me as a person. After three years, there is no other place I would choose in the Arusha area other than Ujamaa.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but book early!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I have fortunate to have traveled to the Arusha area five times. Ujamaa has much to offer and I highly recommend it. The location is optimal, as it is an easy walk to town. Carley and Gasper know all there is to know about the area from volunteering experiences to site seeing, local restaurants and nite spots. Carley is a wise, warm and lovely woman who is nothing but an absolute pleasure.

The food is good and you can not beat the place for the bed and food, laundry included in the price. Many folks return there time and time again. That speaks for itself!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Ujamaa was my second home. I loved the [female] staff and loved spending time with them getting to know them and gave me an opportunity to do some tutoring in English. They welcomed me 'home' after time away and I felt safe at Ujamaa. The rates very reasonable and included having my washing done. I enjoyed the walk to/from town each day as it gave me chance to interact with the local people, especially gave me the opportunity to speak with school children as I believe that through Education we can rid poverty. It also was great to find out about their daily lives. I've made some firm friends by staying at Ujamaa, and also a good understanding of project work being undertaken and I would recommend this hostel without reservation.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo