“Awesome hostel in Arusha!”
Review of Ujamaa Hostel

Ujamaa Hostel
Ranked #19 of 184 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I really felt like home from the first moment I stepped in Ujamaa hostel! As a female solo traveler, I was looking for a cheap,safe and clean base in Arusha to stay in before and after the safari trip and kilimanjaro hike, and Ujamaa Hostel was more than a perfect choice for me. It's so cozy and comfortable. I stayed there for four nights in the female dorm.The staff is so welcoming, helpful and friendly. Free fast laundry service is provided. Delicious homemade breakfast and dinner are served. Wifi and computers are available.The main road where I could take the local transport 'daladala' is around a 5 minute walk from the hostel. Also Njiro complex, where there are restaurants,cafès and a supermarket, is just around the corner. I was lucky to meet some amazing people staying there for their volunteer work in some orphanges in town. The hostel is very well managed by its super friendly and cool owner, Gasper. Thank you for the amazing stay! Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Female dorms are available.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Do not waste your money on a hotel. I stayed at the hostel for about two weeks with a group of almost twenty people and I can truly say we could not have picked a better spot. Prime location, excellent value (especially considering everything offered), and most of all an incredible atmosphere that really just feels like home. Free washing, breakfast, and dinner are just a few amazing things to look forward to when you stay at the Ujamaa Hostel, but it only begins there. At the locations they have to volunteer around town you will meet some of the most amazing individuals who will truly impact your life in a profound way. To top it all off the hosts of the hostel are some of the most warm, friendly, funny, and just overall enjoyable people you will ever meet. I'm planning another trip to Tanzania in about a year and when I reach Arusha this is the only place I will stay. I highly recommend you do the same, you will be glad you did.

Room Tip: Rooms with bathroom are my preference.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed in Ujamaa Hostel for 3 weeks in Nov-Dec 2011 (not 2013, but since it doesn't allow me to select 2011 this is the way I would like to share my review). My brother stayed at that place long time before and long time after, as he volunteered for longer period and I came to visit him).
This place is about amazing people. You will meet great owners and staff (Gasper, Eunice, and others) and great foreigners who came to volunteer. There is breakfast and vegetarian dinner every day included in the price, including washing, hot water, Internet access. Gasper will help you with volunteering options (school, orphanage, etc.), if you are interested. If you stay longer than 30 days you will get discount on accommodation. I love the time I spent with "Ujamaa family".

Room Tip: You can choose private room or a bed in a big room. I stayed in a room with about 5-6 other people a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Netro
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Ujamaa hostel is your home away from home. Not only is it clean, conveniently located, spacious, and comfortable, the staff are so welcoming and accommodating. The volunteer projects make it easy to find the placement which suits you best without having to pay big prices. I had planned to stay at the hostel for a week but ended up extending for an extra week, then returning after volunteering in Kenya in order to end my trip at Ujamaa. It truly feels like a family!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Greek_nomad87
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This hostel was exactly what we were looking for when we were organising our trip to Tanzania. The hostel is located in a very convenient area of town and had all the facilities we needed whilst staying in Arusha.

It was very good value seeing as you got amazing breakfasts and dinners included, as well as free washing. All the mamas were very friendly and cooked the best food! Suzanne and Gasper were full of great advice and were willing to organise anything that you wanted to do and were a great laugh on a night out!

The volunteer placements that they offered were just what we wanted ... Pippi house and Neema house were amazing places to volunteer at!

We will definitely be coming back soon to see the new hostel!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ellenfitton
Reviewed 4 February 2014

My time at Ujamaa was great. There is a real feeling of family, those that you stay with become your closest friends and the atmosphere is chilled and welcoming. The facilities were great including living area with endless DVDs, books and games. Although water and power go out occasionally the generator saves you from darkness! The hostel is in walking distance to the daladalas which take you anywhere you need to go and to njiro complex which is a great place to eat, shop or see a film.
The mamas who cook, clean and do your washing are AMAZING! such awesome women who take great care of you!! The food is great and there is always plenty!

Not only do you get a happy, clean and safe place to stay the hostel links you to great projects that help so many in the community from orphanages to schools so your time will be well spent

I would love to go back! .

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This was the first time I had travelled by myself and so was a little nervous without the security of friends but from the moment I arrived I felt safe and happy in Ujamaa Hostel! All the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful; Evance showed some others and I to the orphanage I would be working at as well as to other local projects before giving us a tour round central Arusha, on another occasion Gaspar took us to the hot springs at Magi Moto (not hot but definitely worth a visit as they're beautiful), we also arranged our safari through a friend of Gaspar which saved the hassle of choosing one of the many (many, many) companies about.

The hostel is in Njiro, so just out of Arusha, but it's easy to get into town on the dalla dalla and it's also conveniently located to some of the projects (but obviously you need to travel a bit further to some).

The food is amazing (like seriously, so good), and the house mamas are really wonderful and friendly (Gaspar say hi to the girls for me!).

There's a nice outdoors area/garden where you can chill out in the day or evening, with 2 friendly dogs and 4 (I spent a month thinking there were 3 but was introduced to the fourth on the last day) tortoises.

There's wifi, computers to use, a generator (so electricity most of the time), laundry gets done, showers are admittedly occasionally cold (more so in the girls' dorms) but it isn't as if it's not hot enough to deal with there.

It's true the price might be a little higher than other hostels in that area of Tanzania however money is given to the local projects and if you visit Meru School (or anywhere else - ask Evance for a tour) they survive off donations and the money from Ujamaa so the money is definitely getting to the projects which, in my opinion, makes any extra cost more than justifiable!

After hearing stories from other people I met in Tanzania I feel I definitely lucked out with Ujamaa and can't recommend it enough, I wish I could have stayed there longer!

Thank you Gaspar and everyone else, see you all again some day!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo