Ujamaa Hostel
Impala Hotel(Arusha)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnerfree laundryclean and safe placefantastic thingschilled drinksplace to stayhome away from homeliving roomhot waterarusha townmount merucaspervolunteersorganizationsopportunitiestanzaniapower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2014

It was a wonderful place to stay. Very clean. It was in a very safe neighborhood. I would surely love to stay in the hostel when I go back.

Also everyone were very friendly. The best thing I loved about the place was turtles roaming around the backyard :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at Ujamaa on my first ever adventure in Africa back in 2008. I was lucky enough to be one of the first guests there and have only fantastic things to say about it! the accommodation was clean, comfortable, safe and homely. the food was fabulous and tasty, even catering to vegetarian guests and all the staff incredibly lovely and friendly! As for the volunteering experience with a local orphanage, this was life-changing and just seeing the smiles on those children's faces was truly amazing! I will forever have Ujamaa and the children in my heart and cannot recommend the place enough!! It's really a must for anyone wishing to have an authentic and rewarding experience in Tanzania! So what are you waiting for??? Book your trip NOW!!! :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was my first visit to Africa and the accommodations we had prior to this stay were a bit tough to deal with. No running water, dirty facilities, etc. But coming here was awesome!! An incredible value and the facilities are so tidy and well kept. They serve breakfast and dinner, which is always delicious, and they have laundry and partnerships with several orphanages and the like around the area so you know that staying here helps the community. Apart from that, Gasper, the owner, is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet! He knows all the fun places to go and is a character! Everyone at the hostel is so warm and welcoming. I definitely recommend this place!! Leaving was the hardest thing to do! I'd grown so attached. I still keep in contact. They definitely made my experience so much better!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 9 February 2014

If you are looking into volunteering in Africa, more specifically in Arusha, I would highly recommend Ujaama! I was there for about a month. The price you pay is fair for what you get. You get two meals a day (which btw are DELICIOUS) and very fulling, there is always plenty of food for everyone, and that even cook for #vegetarian people, they try their best to please everyone. They also clean your room, make your beds, and of you laundry!? Seriously this is huge when traveling, you get so spoiled! There is hot water and power, yes it is Africa and the power might go out every now and then, but there is a generator (for the basics!) The atmosphere is nice calm and very friendly, I left with many new amazing friendships! And on top of everything it offers you a variety of "volunteering programs" for you to choose from! You get to choose where you want to go everyday! Plus there always something happening in Arusha, you get to work hard and play hard (if you want!) there are nice places to go out to and enjoy a good dance, have a beer and relax with great company!

Room Tip: If you are a couple traveling, there is at the moment only one double room, maybe you can ask for that! Otherwise I don't really think it matters, they are all clean and nice! The one's inside the main house, have a bigger space, but then again they are less private than the ones in the small house! Up to you :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AnaGomezO
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I really felt like home from the first moment I stepped in Ujamaa hostel! As a female solo traveler, I was looking for a cheap,safe and clean base in Arusha to stay in before and after the safari trip and kilimanjaro hike, and Ujamaa Hostel was more than a perfect choice for me. It's so cozy and comfortable. I stayed there for four nights in the female dorm.The staff is so welcoming, helpful and friendly. Free fast laundry service is provided. Delicious homemade breakfast and dinner are served. Wifi and computers are available.The main road where I could take the local transport 'daladala' is around a 5 minute walk from the hostel. Also Njiro complex, where there are restaurants,cafès and a supermarket, is just around the corner. I was lucky to meet some amazing people staying there for their volunteer work in some orphanges in town. The hostel is very well managed by its super friendly and cool owner, Gasper. Thank you for the amazing stay! Definitely recommended.

Room Tip: Female dorms are available.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo