“Feels Like Staying in Someone Else's Home”
Review of Ujamaa Hostel

and 1 more site!
Ujamaa Hostel
Ranked #19 of 176 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 5 August 2014

A good place to stay for a jumping off point to Serengeti. The hostel includes a decent breakfast and dinner in the room cost. Free wifi, some tortoises and a dog roam around the lawn. The house itself is separated into guest and non guest parts(such as the living room) which makes it feel like you are renting a room from someone instead of the usual hostel atmosphere. A little far to walk anywhere so you will have to rely on local transport or taxis to get to town. Not bad, just meh.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Ujamaa Hostel

Reviewed 26 July 2014

When I arrived at Ujamaa late at night and exhausted, I thought it would be far from the City and planned to leave after my first night. A good nights sleep later, sitting at the communal breakfast table, I immediately changed my opinion. We had pancakes that day (it differs every morning) and people offered to take me to the city and show me around. I had never been on a daladala before, but its quick and easy, so don't let the location stop you from going to Ujamaa hostel. It's a 5 minute walk to the complex (Supermarket, restaurants, shops, cinema) and everything you can't find there, Gasper will take care of.
The beds are very comfortable with good mosquito-nets. The hostel offers breakfast and dinner as well as laundry-service (all included), they have a book exchange as well as about a hundred DVDs, a friendly dog and three tourtoises.
Thank you, Gasper and everybody!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jess P
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hostel at the beginning and end of our five day safari. We predominantly chose this location because we were trying to save some money and the reviews seemed pretty good. Its not really a couples oriented environment (so keep that in mind) but we didn't mind at all. Everyone that was there was super friendly and we really enjoyed ourselves. Plus it includes food and laundry. The "mamas" that did the cooking were as fantastic as their food. Internet was also very cheap. I would recommend.
**One thing - we were the only one there not staying long term to do some volunteer work. Everyone was really surprised that we were only staying one night at a time. This didn't affect our stay but I mention it because I think it helps describe the type of place it is.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Anna J
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Ujamaa Hostel is very welcoming, whether you're there to volunteer or just traveling. It is well worth the price, which includes breakfast and dinner, as well as laundry. There is a nice shopping complex which is a short walk away. Town is a quick dala dala ride away, and the location feels very safe. Highly recommended, especially for younger travelers and people who are interested in volunteering.

Room Tip: Dorms are spacious; nice bunk beds with mosquito nets, closets and drawers to lock valuables.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed in Ujamaa when I went to Arusha for work. It is without a doubt the best hostel I ever stayed. The rooms were clean, the compound felt safe, the food is amazing and the staff is very helpful. Thanks to the friendly atmosphere it felt like staying over at a friends' house. After staying there for nine days I was sad to leave.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lisa d
Reviewed 24 February 2014

It was a wonderful place to stay. Very clean. It was in a very safe neighborhood. I would surely love to stay in the hostel when I go back.

Also everyone were very friendly. The best thing I loved about the place was turtles roaming around the backyard :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed at Ujamaa on my first ever adventure in Africa back in 2008. I was lucky enough to be one of the first guests there and have only fantastic things to say about it! the accommodation was clean, comfortable, safe and homely. the food was fabulous and tasty, even catering to vegetarian guests and all the staff incredibly lovely and friendly! As for the volunteering experience with a local orphanage, this was life-changing and just seeing the smiles on those children's faces was truly amazing! I will forever have Ujamaa and the children in my heart and cannot recommend the place enough!! It's really a must for anyone wishing to have an authentic and rewarding experience in Tanzania! So what are you waiting for??? Book your trip NOW!!! :-)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo