“Basic camping, party atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Masai Camp

Masai Camp
Masai Camp
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
UK
“Basic camping, party atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We camped for one night - the camping facilities are fairly basic, but there are at least bbqs, large tables and chairs and undercover areas available for cooking. The bar is located some distance from the campsite so you are not disturbed by noisy people or music - there was randomly a disco blaring out when we were there, even though we seemed to be the only people there!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Princeton, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The guidebook I read had the Masai Camp down as one of the "best campsites in Africa", so I was pretty pumped when we arrived, however I could not have been more disappointed. The actual land to camp on wasnt great (and in fact it flooded when it rained- forcing about 15 people to have to drag their tents out of a pool of water). The bathroom and shower facilities were clean but nothing special. The restaurant was expensive and had HORRIBLE food and terrible service. They made you pay for the Internet by the hour ($5USD an hour) and you couldn't work out any long-term deal with them regarding internet use. Finally the camp is about 5 km out of town... All in all it was a pretty bad stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Arusha hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We brought two international guests here to eat in August and the experience was so bad that we left without paying (quite a stand-off and I did leave my card offering a manager could contact me - but felt this was necessary so they'd think about what they offered)! We ordered food sometime before 10pm, asked jokingly if we would eat today, the menu was somewhat unclear and they could not explain. We reminded them about 5 times that we were hungry and just before midnight I went to the kitchen, quite exasperated, to offer my help. They were serving food, it was cold, the meat unidentifiable and chewy, we didn't get what we ordered and it was absolutely horrible. Guest at the neighbouring table left without eating and we then were offered some of their food to make up. The service was equally bad when we were here in Dec last year - but the food and the ambiance had been great. Sadly a place to avoid!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrea S
Tengeru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

We took some friends from Europe here for dinner the other night after they arrived in Tanzania. Their first introduction to Tanzanian service was a meal that took >2 hours to arrive. No joke. We started eating just before midnight, so I can nearly say that our meals arrived the next day! And when they did arrive the food was bad - several of the dishes being almost the same when on the menu they were different dishes, and some orders simply wrong. It was very empty, there was only one other group in the place, and they got tired of waiting for their food and left. Otherwise the place was dead. Ironically, one of their plates of food was offered to us "for free" since we had been complaining so much. I have tried this place twice in the last 6 months and have had extrmely poor service both time. However, luckily there are MANY MUCH NICER places in Arusha to meet, eat and socialise!! Avoid Masai Camp.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

This is where we would go on friday and saturday night. Great place to dance and parties.
plenty of area to just be laid back and chill out.
Nice atmo and good music, often have local DJ,s on the weekends

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

I went here per a guide book's advice, having read that it's the place to be for meeting people & connecting with other groups going on safaris.

I hated it.

1. I was the only solo traveler
2. I was the only traveler under 45
3. I was the only traveler in the dorms
4. The dorms were FREEZING. Since I was the only one there, I took blankets off 3 other beds to stay warm, but the place was damp & the mattress/blankets all seemed damp.
5. The dorm door did not close fully, so I could not lock it
6. showers/toilets were pretty nasty
7. Food was gross (the cook told me the pizza was good, so I ordered it - there was a total of maybe 1/4 oz cheese on the entire thing)
8. It's not close to any other restaurants

I got out of there as soon as I could, and wouldn't recommend any travelers to go back unless they were equipped with their own RV and cooking facilities.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Colleen T
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I have never stayed here but always headed here on a saturday night, they have great parties and good music with a nice atmosphere. Only thing I will say is watch out for pickpockets

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends