“Disappointing”

East African All Suite Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here for one night before a safari and two nights afterwards. Our stay can only be described as a comedy of errors. In no particular order, the staff would not accept Visa card, only MC or cash, so make sure you have an alternative. Our suite was all fake colonial splendour, half the lights didn't work, the clock didn't work, the shower flooded the bathroom, there was no plug for the bath but that didn't really matter because the bath didn't drain properly anyway, doors were hanging off, food was terrible, there were no towels, power point a long way from desk, needed two extension cords to reach it, hot water heater hadn't been turned on so no hot water for 20 minutes, no complimentary toiletries available except hand lotion, safe didn't work and wasn't even bolted down, as for the kitchen ... I could go on but it is all too depressing. Would not recommend this place. It needs a major upgrade and some serious staff training.

Room Tip: If there are any, we didn't get one. Rooms at the front get noise from the traffic from about 5...

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel in itself is very average with decent sized rooms. The rooms were rather dark and they would do well in having more lighting. They are rather old and need of some upgrades. Slept well, so little complaints about the room. The breakfast is very basic. My major issues were in fact with the food. On our first day, there was a African fish special. However, when we ordered it, they told us they were out of fish. Then we proceeded to order a seafood platter and they again stated they were out of all fish. We finally ordered the sizzler, which I have to say was excellent. I think the staff require some training with respect to solving issues. They seem to hand out menus and specials which do not seem to exist and the staff do not mention at the start of dinner the options that exist. This is purely down to training. I would consider staying elsewhere.

1  Thank linpaws
Reviewed 9 August 2014

After reading positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I had high expectations for this hotel. None of these expectations were met; the poorly managed hotel was a dismal failure. My suite (in this all-suite hotel) had six lights that did not work (including the one over the bathroom sink), no shampoo in the bathroom, only a single bath towel (but no hand towel or bath mat, which meant stepping onto a slippery floor with wet feet), a tissue box without any tissues, and a safe that did not work. I was told that none of the safes in the hotel worked. The slow wifi service, albeit free, worked only intermittently. The service was constantly interrupted and frequently asked for the password even when not interrupted. When I turned on a lamp next to the bed, a fuse blew. My key card for my room did not work after I checked in. The adjacent room had a do-not-disturb sign attached to the door, but the staff must have misinterpreting the sign as a please disturb sign – the cleaning staff made considerable noise, with shouting, for an extended period, even after being asked twice to lower the volume. The food in the restaurant was bland, and I was surprised that I had to pay for a glass of water. When the staff was asked to make an outside phone call, the staff person was not able to do so. The coup de grace came when I was working in my room and one of the hotel staff entered without knocking. Actually this happened twice. I asked if I needed to show my credit card upon checking in, I was told that would not be necessary. When I checked out I was told that the hotel did not accept American Express.

I have been to Africa many times. The East African Hotel leaves the bitterest taste I have experienced on this beautiful continent.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel and you will not have to worry about choosing a suitable room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I was in the hotel for a night and one thing I can say is that it has great rooms that make you want to spend in the hotel for more nights. However, when it comes to food service, the service is slow and the quality average. They need to up their game when it comes to the food that is offered so that it can be of better standard. However, the breakfast was good though there is still room for improvement.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Nice apartment type hotel, friendly staff, clean with good food in the restaurant - breakfast was usual buffet and omelette chef.

Large pleasant rooms with separate living areas.

Gated access with security guards. Central in Arusha.

Pool not used, but looked fine.

Free WiFi throughout.

Room Tip: Didn't appear to have a lift if mobility is limited.
1  Thank Derek S
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel for two nights in arusha, good location near to town and some restaurants. The rooms are large, Didn't always have hot water though. Slight problem on reception when their card machine wasn't working which meant we had to pay by cash leaving us extremely short for the rest of the trip. No apology by staff they just said my card was invalid, as apparently was everyone else's.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kk24428
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As others have mentioned, these are actually apartments, not rooms, so tons of space, feels much more "homey", and far from "typical" franchise rooms. Good service, full "to-order" breakfast, super easy walk downtown. No problem checking in at 3am direct from airport, but a little "time-zone-altered" to record many details. Always a delight to expect less and receive more. Is actually much more attractive than the website suggests--now that's a switch!

Room Tip: Stairways are a little awkward, narrow, steep. If that's an issue, try for lower floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business