“Pleasant stay”
Review of SG Premium Resort

SG Premium Resort
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed here the night before and after climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro with Climb Kili! Very nice hotel. It is still under construction but that did not affect my stay. My room was clean. I only ate breakfast there. They had a nice spread with fruits, crepes, omelets, french toast and more. A nice simple pool to swim in and a nice open sitting dining area in the middle. I marked very good on many things as I was not sure about what the accommodations would be in Africa. Guest services were friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was our first time to travel to Africa. We didn't know what to expect. The hotel was arranged by our Climb Kili Tour group. We were pleased with the service and kindness of the staff, they help us ( a family group with young children) get accommodations that fit our needs. The rooms were comfortable and roomy. We left the hotel for our safari and climb and returned several days later and found the staff well prepared for us. We had left luggage etc and everything was well organized. The breakfast was very good with lots of choices. We were able to walk to the local market and enjoyed getting see the local culture.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was a holiday to celebrate my 65th. Our stay here was booked for my Ugandan wife by her cousin who works in Arusha and lives about five minuets walk away. We found the service very good apart from the speed of service in the evening. I would recommend ordering your food in advance. The swimming pool is good, it is non PC over there, I was playing in the pool with our guides seven year old black daughter, this would attracted the attention of the child protection squad over here. Over there a middle aged muzungo and a young girl is not considered to be wrong. Breakfast is very good and I was able to share my birthday cake with fellow guests after my sisters-in-law set it up. Seeing other comments about service maybe it helps to be black.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We stayed at SG resort on three occasions, as this hotel is the hotel of choice for climb kili. We stayed there for two nights before we climbed kili and a had a great room with a queen bed and two singles. On our return from climbing kili we stayed in a queen size bedroom with a spa bath and on our return from safari we stayed in just a queen size bedroom.

For the positives- the wifi was excellent and there were two computers with free Internet in the reception area as well- although only one was working when we were there. the hot water was good and the toilet flushed. when we returned from kili the hotel was able to turn around some laundry for us within three hours- although each article of clothing cost between 2-4 dollars so we were quite selective with what we gave. The pool was very nice! The food at the restaurant was ok- it's a self serve buffet for breakfast with enough choice and quite a wide menu for lunch and dinner. my husband did get sick eating there one night and he really did not enjoy the food. I thought is was ok, but I quite like plain food.

Now for the negatives- the location is not great. there is nothing nearby, except for the shoprite super market ( about 3km away) which was handy and its close to Arusha airport.

It's hard to put a finger on it but it was sort of the atmosphere and staff that were the biggest negatives about our stay. Not only did we find this but some of the people we climbed with also felt the same way. On quite a few occasions the staff lied to us about prices to try and make a profit, on two occasions staff tried to elicit donations from my husband for their supposed charities, and staff would never return hangs even if it far exceeded a usual tip. I know that Tanzanians in the tourism industry rely on tips and we are always happy to tip for good service but at SG resort you always felt like you were being slightly ripped off.

I would probably stay at SG resort again but I know my husband and some of the other people who were on our tour would not because of the staff behaviour.

Room Tip: Level 1 had a queen and two single beds.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoriKim_290
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is my first time at the SG hotel in Arusha. The sleeping room is very good with a good size bathroom. Staff are attentive and friendly. The hotel is currently being extended but there was no disturbance. Very good value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BadgersFriend
Reviewed 8 November 2013

SG Resort label themselves as a "premium resort", but for me fell well short of premium service and food.

With the exception of the breakfast the food was not good and unfortunately i got sick after eating the chicken curry. Another guest got sick from the fish while I was there.

The behavior of the staff was generally quite poor ranging from "misrepresenting" prices to soliciting donations on behalf of orphanages. While I can understand a few incidents like this, it was pretty constant from the SG resort employees. We found the service much better at other establishments in Tanzania.

On the upside the rooms at SG Resort are very nice and spacious with hot water. The WiFi is free and always available. The pool area is also quite nice.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We were told that there weren't any standard rooms available and ended up having to pay for a much more expensive room. Though it seemed that there was hardly anyone staying there.

We couldn't get any WiFi in our room and had to go to the lobby to get connection.
We couldn't control the heat or A/C in the room, so we were cold most of the time, and the power kept going out, which didn't seem a problem for the surrounding buildings

Lots of construction.
Not really the pool that it shows as that is through the parking lot rather than attached to the hotel.

I have stayed in much nicer places in Arusha for a fraction of the price.
Would be fine for business, but would avoid for pleasure.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends