“Great hotel”
Review of The African Tulip

The African Tulip
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Friendly staff and spacious rooms. The hotel makes a perfect setting for the stopover before and after safari. It has a good restaurant and very friendly staff, that are very helpful. When going on safari, do go around Arusha and experience the friendly atmosphere. The African Tulip provides for the perfect setting.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sorensenCopenhagen
There are newer reviews for The African Tulip

Reviewed 2 March 2013

My husband and I booked a safari with Roy Safaris and stayed at the African Tulip for two days before starting our safari to rest up after our long flight from Alaska. We also stayed at the African Tulip after completing our two week safari. The African Tulip was the very best, most beautiful and comfortable hotel we have ever stayed in and we have traveled to many places around the world. The staff were always very welcoming and helpful even when we checked in at 1:00 am. The hotel is so beautifully decorated in a simple but elegant African theme and the beautiful decor is found in each room down to the last detail. The rooms are spacious and extremely comfortable with a large screen TV, internet, air conditioning, spacious bathrooms with large walk-in showers, jacuzzi and the softest towels and robes. The patio overlooked beautiful flowering trees and had comfortable reclining patio chairs. The dining room was spacious and beautifully decorated. The food was always excellent with a huge breakfast buffet including a variety of fresh fruits, homemade breads, breakfast meats and a chef preparing made to order omlets. The dinner menu included a variety of choices and was also excellent. I would encourage anyone staying at the African Tulip to check out the gift shop. There was a large selection of Tanzanian made items that were fairly priced. The African Tulip is in a quiet part of town so the hotel was very quiet and truely relaxing. We would highly recommend staying at the African Tulip whenever your travel plans take you to Arusha. Our safari with Roy Safaris was the trip of a lifetime and the African Tulip is the very best place to begin and end a safari.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlaskaTravelers2
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I am currently on my 4th night of a 5 night stay at the African Tulip and feel fortunate to be in this lovely establishment. The hotel is fabulous and well-maintained, my room is comfortable and stylish, and the staff here are amazingly gracious and helpful. When I needed another night stay (at the last minute) following a short trip to Zanzibar, I was sad to learn that the hotel was full. The manager double-checked the bookings and, when unable to accommodate me for the following week, suggested two nearby hotels guaranteeing me the same price or less, and then went in person to the hotel I selected to make the booking for me, provide me with a printed confirmation for the room, and then checked again to ensure I was satisfied with this option. When, at breakfast (tasty!) following my first night, I mentioned that the bathtub drained slowly, this was fixed later that morning. As I needed a SIM card, the front desk staff offered to make a copy of my passport for me to bring to the kiosk (as this is required when purchasing a card), making my purchase much easier. The list goes on! These folks are wonderful! And with a lovely hotel, great amenities (window seat in room, bars, restaurant, pool, flat screen tv, in-room refrigerator, safe, etc.) and excellent location close to the clocktower but at enough of a distance to be relaxed, this is my new favorite in Arusha.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nomadologista
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I loved this hotel and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Arusha. Rooms are large and spacious and with air conditioning. Everyone was very nice and attentive to all our needs. I was very impressed with the decor, the staff and the management. Thanks for two wonderful nights!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Debbie J
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Very nice hotel for Arusha to stay in before you start your safari. Be careful when using a credit card as first they tried to add a service charge for using a credit card. A complaint to the manager eliminated the charge, but the complaint should have not been necessary.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Frank A
SharmaAnuj, General Manager at The African Tulip, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Frank A

Thank you for your comments on the Credit card surcharges at our hotel.

I wish to clarify to you and the readers on the issue of Credit card charges at our hotel. A charge of 4% as bank charges apply on all credit card payments and this is indicated at Reception.

This facility is made available solely for the convenience of our customers.

Note: In Arusha there are very few banks who deal with credit card billing and the transactions are routed through two different banks. Thus, bank charges are deducted on each credit card transaction to cover these charges. We therefore have to share this charges on to the customers and hotel who choose to use credit cards to make payments/settle their bills.

On a one-off special request made by you on check out to waive off the 4 % surcharge on your credit card payments, Our Duty manager kindly obliged.

Sincerely
Anuj Sharma

Reviewed 24 February 2013

The best, period. Clean, hospitable, beautiful, helpful. Property is impeccable, beds are clean, fresh and comfortable. Western bathrooms. Beautiful architecture and pool area. Excellent food-- breakfast buffet with made to order palettes and large variety of delicious hot foods as well as breads, fresh fruit, tea coffee, espresso, cappuccino. Wonderful people. We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Stayed 2 nights before Kili climb, 1 night after and another after my safari. My group stored luggage here and everything was excellent. My group of 15 enjoyed the buffet breakfast, the Indian food each evening in the restaurant, the poolside menu was also very good. I used various services the hotel offered and the service was Superb! This is definitely the place to stay around your Kilimanjaro climb, or African Safari. The management and staff are totally obliging to your travel needs.

Room Tip: I stayed on ground floor as well as 2 different room on 2nd floor and they were all wonderful.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends