“An excellent choice in Arusha”
Review of The African Tulip

The African Tulip
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We stayed here at both ends of a safari trip as many people do and were very happy with the hotel. Comfortable, spacious room combined with friendly, helpful and efficient service. Everything went very smoothly. If there is a weak link it was the reception which was outshone by the friendliness elsewhere. We can completely recommend. If we return to Arusha, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tagesthemen
Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 10 March 2013

This hotel had some problems whilst we were staying, which may mean that my review doesn't reflect the general experience. The staff in general were polite and friendly, although one person at reception seemed abrupt in her dealings with us. We had no water in our room for several hours one evening and encountered a small waterfall in the stairwell on our way down to dinner. The manager did make sure to personally apologise for the inconvenience of our room's water shortage. The dinner menu was limited, unless you partook of the buffet. The A/C was noisy but essential, since there were no mosquito nets to allow for opening windows. Our crockery (for coffee) still had coffee stains on it, presumably from the previous room occupants. On the whole, based on my experience not keen to recommend this one - maybe put it down to a bad day?

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Belinda C
SharmaAnuj, General Manager at The African Tulip, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Belina C

Thank you for sharing the experience . First of all, I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations. We do, however, ensure you it was indeed a bad day.

Unfortunately, during your stay, there was a sudden plumbing technical failure where one of the Non Return gate valves of the pressurized water pump broke. Immediate action was taken by our maintenance crew to resolve this problem, however, this took more than two hours in the evening. During the repair process, there was some leakage for a few minutes from the overhead tank pump which resulted in some water spilling near the guest stairs. The water system had to be be turned off for some time so as to replace the valve/pump. Most clients were briefed about this- we are sorry if you were not.

We sincerely apologize for this, and assure you that since the hotel opened, this is the first time such a major technical failure occurred.

Regarding our limited selection Food menu- we are working on it and very soon a new menu with new exotic dishes will be out.

The Air conditioning in all rooms has been checked and we noticed that there is noise if the AC-fan is used at high speed. I wish to assure you that we do have mosquito netting in all our room windows, so windows can be opened.

We sincerely appologise for our Housekeeping shortfall & Reception attitude - corrective measures & briefing has been strictly done with the concerned staff.

I wish to thank you for comments as it helps us work on our shortfalls & improve on our services.

Anuj Sharma

Reviewed 9 March 2013

We stayed here our first day and night in Tanzania at the beginning of a 16 day safari organized by Roy's Safaris. It is a lovely hotel with spacious rooms, excellent service and a very good restaurant. The staff are helpful and friendly. There is no elevator so we were glad that we had excellent help carrying our luggage. There is a nice pool but it was too cool to swim when we visited.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor overlooking the pool...12A if I remember correctly. The room had great ai...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Friendly staff and spacious rooms. The hotel makes a perfect setting for the stopover before and after safari. It has a good restaurant and very friendly staff, that are very helpful. When going on safari, do go around Arusha and experience the friendly atmosphere. The African Tulip provides for the perfect setting.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sorensenCopenhagen
Reviewed 2 March 2013

My husband and I booked a safari with Roy Safaris and stayed at the African Tulip for two days before starting our safari to rest up after our long flight from Alaska. We also stayed at the African Tulip after completing our two week safari. The African Tulip was the very best, most beautiful and comfortable hotel we have ever stayed in and we have traveled to many places around the world. The staff were always very welcoming and helpful even when we checked in at 1:00 am. The hotel is so beautifully decorated in a simple but elegant African theme and the beautiful decor is found in each room down to the last detail. The rooms are spacious and extremely comfortable with a large screen TV, internet, air conditioning, spacious bathrooms with large walk-in showers, jacuzzi and the softest towels and robes. The patio overlooked beautiful flowering trees and had comfortable reclining patio chairs. The dining room was spacious and beautifully decorated. The food was always excellent with a huge breakfast buffet including a variety of fresh fruits, homemade breads, breakfast meats and a chef preparing made to order omlets. The dinner menu included a variety of choices and was also excellent. I would encourage anyone staying at the African Tulip to check out the gift shop. There was a large selection of Tanzanian made items that were fairly priced. The African Tulip is in a quiet part of town so the hotel was very quiet and truely relaxing. We would highly recommend staying at the African Tulip whenever your travel plans take you to Arusha. Our safari with Roy Safaris was the trip of a lifetime and the African Tulip is the very best place to begin and end a safari.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AlaskaTravelers2
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I am currently on my 4th night of a 5 night stay at the African Tulip and feel fortunate to be in this lovely establishment. The hotel is fabulous and well-maintained, my room is comfortable and stylish, and the staff here are amazingly gracious and helpful. When I needed another night stay (at the last minute) following a short trip to Zanzibar, I was sad to learn that the hotel was full. The manager double-checked the bookings and, when unable to accommodate me for the following week, suggested two nearby hotels guaranteeing me the same price or less, and then went in person to the hotel I selected to make the booking for me, provide me with a printed confirmation for the room, and then checked again to ensure I was satisfied with this option. When, at breakfast (tasty!) following my first night, I mentioned that the bathtub drained slowly, this was fixed later that morning. As I needed a SIM card, the front desk staff offered to make a copy of my passport for me to bring to the kiosk (as this is required when purchasing a card), making my purchase much easier. The list goes on! These folks are wonderful! And with a lovely hotel, great amenities (window seat in room, bars, restaurant, pool, flat screen tv, in-room refrigerator, safe, etc.) and excellent location close to the clocktower but at enough of a distance to be relaxed, this is my new favorite in Arusha.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nomadologista
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I loved this hotel and would recommend it to anyone traveling to Arusha. Rooms are large and spacious and with air conditioning. Everyone was very nice and attentive to all our needs. I was very impressed with the decor, the staff and the management. Thanks for two wonderful nights!

• Stayed: February 2013