“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
Alameda, California
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at The African Tulip for two nights prior to our safari and were very glad we did, both because we needed the relaxation time after our grueling flights and because the hotel was so lovely and comfortable. We were fortunate to be upgraded to a suite and were thrilled with the understated decor, the space, the light, and the cleanliness. Our traveling companions had a "regular" room which was equally attractive and comfortable, just not quite as large.

The grounds are beautiful and there's a very nice bar/lounge area for drinks and/or quiet conversation.

The food is fine. We thought the breakfast selections were pretty good but were not as favorably impressed with dinner. It wasn't bad but the buffets tended toward offering only spicy mixtures without much variety. This is the only reason I'm not rating the hotel as fully excellent.

We were actually a little disappointed that our itinerary didn't have us returning to the Tulip before our departure from Tanzania. We highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I peeked into a few that were being cleaned, and they all look quite comparable. No elevator, thoug...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Turkish first
Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The Tulip was my rest stopover after six days in the deep bush and before three days in the bush again on a camel safari with no access to a shower. Big room, huge shower, huge buffet of Indian food (I don't indulge but I found lots to eat), very attentive and well trained staff, and simply gorgeous grounds. A jewel of a pool and abundant flowers as well and beautifully cared for greenery made for a most pleasant surroundings. Adapters in the room meant I didn't have to dig for mine. The view outside my room was more flowers and greenery, the sun was splashing on the cushions when I walked in. I nearly drowned in the enormous bed. Truly a boutique, classy little hotel. Well guarded, well kept, Indian owned, and it's been my very wonderful experience that the Indian community understands hospitality very well, and here indeed it shows.

I loved the feeling of an older, established but extremely well kept hotel with nicely uniformed staff, and a manager who took his job seriously ensuring that you had all you needed, and that you felt so cossetted and cared for you absolutely wanted to come back. Mission accomplished. I very much appreciated his extended my departure time three hours so that I could work until 1 pm and get my writing done. Nice touch. Great hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Julia H
detroit,michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Stayed here on my last overnight before leaving Africa. Lovely African decore hotel with a very large room and big bathroom (tub and shower) and a/c. Management is constantly looking at the details with staff. Fountain water was turned lower in the dining room with an apology that it was too loud near my table. I called from my room for a wakeup time for the next morning, and a few moments later my phone rang, and it was the front desk asking if I would like a boxed breakfast as they just received my request for an early morning wakeup call and because the restaurant would not be open, would I like a breakfast box so I would not miss breakfast. Very, very thoughtful. Would not hesitate to recommend.

Room Tip: It has stairs only to upstairs rooms. If mobility a problem, should ask for first floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Newberg, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

It is a nice small, sort of a boutique hotel. The staff is very nice, and very well trained. The management go out of their way to assure your stay is pleasant. The rooms are nice and air conditioned. The hotel is very secure as well and gated.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Great little hotel. Not too many rooms. All the staff are well trained. We arrived late into our hotel due to a 19 hour plane delay in Ethipopia and got their at 600am. The staff was ready to great us and make sure they didn't bother early in the morning so we could get some needed sleep.

We went to Kilimanjaro and the hotel let us keep our extra bags in a locked storage area for free. We got back a week later and everything was how we left it.

Restaurant was quite good. The proprietor came by each evening during dinner to make sure everything was good and see if we needed anything.

Would stay again in an instance the next time I found myself in Arusha.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a few nights before our safari and one night after. We were greeted with great service when we arrived. The hotel has a front gate and guards. We felt very safe. The buffet was really good and the staff was excellent. We hope to come back someday.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brown0317
Woking
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night before Kilimanjaro hike and one night after the hike.
The rooms are light and airy. The second night of our stay, Anuj the Manager, kindly upgraded us, perhaps to celebrate my birthday or perhaps to celebrate our success of Kilimanjaro climb, to the best suite in the hotel. This went some way towards helping us relax after a really hard hike up the mountain.
All the staff are polite and friendly without behind intrusive.
No hesitation in recommending The African Tulip for a stay I'm Arusha. I regret not having more time to spend here to enjoy the great hospitality on offer.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends