“Second Best Lodge of Our Trip”
Review of The African Tulip

The African Tulip
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed here 2 nights at the start of our safari. The room was very large for 3 of us and very nice. My nieces compared it to every other lodge and kept saying, "They're not like the Tulip." They did end up finding one tented camp they liked better, but the Tulip is warmly remembered by us all. The service was outstanding, the breakfast was good with plenty of choices, and the pool was a nice way to relax after touring Arusha National Park.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Adventurer43
There are newer reviews for The African Tulip

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this discreet and relaxed oasis. The decor is tasteful yet understated much like their Clientele who include Dr. Jane Goodall seen on their website.

I've been here for lunch/dinner as I'm a huge fan of their Chef's Indian cuisine which is also offered on their menu.

But to point out possibly the most impressive attribute of The African Tulip apart from excellent WiFi... is the service and warmth from the Hotel's Staff who are likely this way due to their GM Mr. Sharma who makes you feel special in that all your needs are a priority. He's First Class.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank lifesabeach1982
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We have been travelling in East Africa with our two young sons for the past two months. African Tulip was the best hotel we have stayed at to date. They accommodated us without a reservation when our hotel had water problems. Manager, Anuj Sharma did everything possible to ensure our stay was comfortable and pleasant. Although pricy initially, in hindsight it was worth every dollar paid. Sadiq was our waiter for each meal and he even translated our meals to Swahili to help my sons with the writing blog back to classmates in Canada. We stayed in the Family Suite (#11) and it exceeded our expectations with great regard to fine details. I would highly recommend the African Tulip in Arusha.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank obmmes
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed in the African Tulip hotel before and after safaris. I was treated like a queen. Staff at reception, restaurant, as well as management were very friendly and helpful. Rooms are spacious and quiet. I stayed in two different rooms during my stays, #9 was excellent, although I think all were the same quality. Internet is not free but fast.
I had to leave a suitcase before going to safari and it was no problem at all.
My flight was late in the evening, my stay was extended without extra cost.
Managers always ensuring that we are fully comfortable and if I had any special requests.
In short, one of the best small hotels I ever stayed in.
I strongly recommend it as a base for safari trips in Tanzania, even if you plan to visit the city for a while.

Room Tip: the hotel's taxi driver is fantastic, be sure you use him!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mona_yafi
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Can anyplace be bad after a long journey here? The Tulip was in the middle of Arusha so the next morning we were able to get money for our week in the Serengetti. Busy busy is the work around these parts of town but the Tulip was quiet enough for a great rest. The room we stayed in was very big and had ample air conditioning. The internet was fast and we quickly caught up with friends from home to let them know we made it. There was a small pool and bar but we were so tired that we didn't enjoy either instead heading off to bed to get a jump on our sleep. The breakfast was ample and we soon were on our way.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank coopervanning
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at The African Tulip for one night before beginning our safari and then again at the end with day room use while awaiting our late international flight. It's the perfect spot for transitioning to and from safari and represents very good value given the cost of many others in Arusha. The location is excellent if you're catching an early morning bush flight out of Arusha Airport. The hotel is beautifully designed with attractive, comfortable common areas; the staff is very welcoming; the rooms and baths (supplied well with all amenities) are large; the beds are great; and it is immaculate. There's a lovely pool amongst a garden to the rear of the hotel that would provide a nice spot to recoup from jet lag on a layover before going on safari. All around, top notch!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SH208
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed here one night before climbing Kilimanjaro and were pleasantly surprised at the convenience, comfort, great service and food. The rooms are spacious and very quiet, considering how close to town the hotel is. The restaurant has an excellent variety of food, from meaty hamburgers to fantastic Indian dishes, in a modern well-run setting. The bathrooms appear to be recently updated and were spotless with a good towel supply and reliable hot water. What stood out the most to me was the service. The hotel management greeted us on arrival and made sure everything we needed was taken care of. They were very accomodating and secure-conscious with our leave-behind items while we were climing Kili. It's a great, convenient, and affordable little hotel that's comfortable with impressive service and food.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends