“Fantastic Place with Terrible Neighbors”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Olasiti Lodge, Tanganyika Wilderness Camps
Ranked #57 of 191 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed in this delightful setting in December as part of a group. The staff was professional, friendly and accommodating. The pool was beautiful although nearly freezing by comparison to the tropical heat. Monkeys play next to the pool and they are wonderful to watch.

Here's the rub - there is a megachurch next door that begins broadcasting loudly through amplified speakers at six or six-thirty each morning. We could not even shout over the noise at breakfast. It only lasted about an hour and then some wonderful gospel music filled the silence. NOT the place to stay if you want to sleep past sunrise!

Room Tip: Rooms are a bit quieter on the far side of the creek.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank John M

Reviewed 26 February 2014

A very lovely lodge in a tranquil setting, It is hard to believe that just outside the gates there are drivers careening around corners and driving like there is no tomorrow! The welcome was warm and genuine and our accommodations large, airy with a netted king sized bed. We walk down a path through Acacia trees, spotting a beautiful swimming pool on our way. We ate dinner there after the dining room was actually closed and the waiter was efficient and friendly trying to teach us some Swahili!! Food was good. We left after breakfast the next morning (the breakfast was fantastic) to head out on safari but we could have happily stayed on for another day to enjoy the pool and tranquility. By the way, Oasiti is Swahili for Acacia Trees!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Albertameev
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My wife and I were on an OAT trip to Tanzania. We arrived 2 days before our Safari trip began. I made my own reservations with Kibo Guides, the owners of Olasiti Lodge. Every thing went very smooth, they met us at Kilimanjaro Airport and drove us to Olasiti Lodge. We ate 3 meals a day at the lodge, and had reserved a day trip to Arusha National Park with Kibo Guides. The food was buffet style, so there was always plenty to eat, and it was well prepared and tasty. When examining the rooms, you must remember that you are in a third world country. Every thing was very clean, but the furnishings were spartan, the plumbing fixtures were old, and the floor was concrete with some straw mats. There is some local noise from the adjacent church, but it did not bother us. The staff more than makes up for any thing negative about Olasiti Lodge. They could not do enough for you to make your visit to their country any better. We stayed here for a total of 5 nights and also had the use of a day room on our departure date. If you are going on a safari in Tanzania I would recommend staying at Olasiti Lodge before and after your safari.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dlevitsky
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The rooms are set among lush gardens,with a family of monkeys(virvet)that are fed by the staff and afford some great photo opps,The rooms are well maintained And are very clean and have any ammenity that is needed,THe food is very good and the staff very pleasant and helpful.The gift shop is well stocked with some really nice crafts and books.I highly enjoyed my time at the lodge.I don't think the noise level is any worse than many of the hotels in Arusha,I think it just part of the culture.I would stay there again and would advise anyone to stay there without any hesitation.I felt COMPLETELY safe.

Room Tip: Most rooms are located away from the main lodge,even the day rooms were comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank joanne v
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I traveled alone with my boys, ages 11 and 13. I woke up around 5:00 or 6:00 a.m. to loud chanting and yelling. This went on for quite a while. I was actually quite frightened. I thought there was some uprising in the city. I later learned this was the church located right next door. I wish I had been warned. I would have just tried to go back to sleep instead of being scared. The place was lovely and the food was good. The staff were quite nice. Only complaint was my terror filled hour.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Amy1S
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Decorated with an eclectic collection of various African carvings, maps, baskets, furniture, cloths, and even numerous engravings recounting the adventures and death of David Livingstone, this lodge is calming and simple, and full of friendly and hard working cooks and staff. It is extremely well maintained, being constantly cleaned and well stocked. The pool is perfectly situated to be heated by the golden Tanzanian sun, and the vervet monkeys playing entertain you if you lose interest in your book as you relax among the birds-of-paradise flowers surrounding the pool. I'd like to live here!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank WoollySpiderMonkey
Reviewed 5 October 2013

As part of our OAT Safari, we stayed here before and after, for a total of 3 nights. The meals were tasty and served on the deck over looking the pool area. There is a decent bar and gift shop. The staff are courteous and helpful. The grounds are beautifully landscape. The outside noise can be a distraction at night dependeing on where your room is located. I did not mind the church music, but the "call to prayer" from the local mosque at 4:45 AM did wake me up. Take earplugs to solve that problem.

Room Tip: As far away from the churches would be good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends