“No Place Like Home”
Review of Tumaini Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Tumaini Cottage
Ranked #6 of 134 Arusha B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Found Tumaini on Trip Advisor and Andy (The owner) picked us up @ Kilimanjaro Airport @ 110am on our arrival . Andy is the kindest man you'll ever meet. My wife & I stayed @ Tumaini for 2 nights before & 3 nights after our 12 day Safari. Andy & Lillian, his wife, made us feel right at home. The rooms are immaculate as are the grounds. Breakfast is included which always included freshly squeezed juice, fresh fruit (grown on property) and eggs cooked to order. Both Lunch and dinner are available at a small extra charge. Local food was delicious and plentiful. Andy drove us into town twice including the local Masai market and stayed with us to help "bargain" for gifts to bring home. He also set up a trip after safari for us to visit Lake Duluti and the waterfall. When we left for the states Andy drove us back to the airport but not before hugs & kisses were exchanged with our new found friends Asante Sana

Room Tip: All rooms similar
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barry009

Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

A blessing in disguise as we had to change accommodations to tumaini. We had a wonderful stay and the manager, wife and staff made us feel at ease. The breakfast is simple and is what we needed. Though we were the only guests around the attention to detail would have still been the same if their were other guests.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank adhis
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed here before and after our safari, and Andy couldn't have made it easier. He was very responsive to emails before our trip. He picked us up at 3 AM from the airport and got us settled into the rooms.

The next day my husband and I rented bikes and rode around Arusha. One of the bikes was a bit old, but it got us around just fine. (Rentals were $10 when we were there.) The cottage is a little bit far from the city center, but that has some benefits (quiet, and sunrises over the natural space behind the cottage).

The rooms were clean and nice; a bit similar to US college dorms. The breakfast consisted of toast, fruit, and eggs made to order. The grounds are immaculately kept, kind of a haven inside a gritty city.

My parents arrived later, and Andy was wonderful with them. He even offered to take them to the marketplace when they asked about the bikes.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank linteater
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Most of my traveling in Tanzania was through a tour company, but I decided to fly into Tanzania a few days early in case flights were delayed or luggage was lost, and also to settle in before climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. My boyfriend and I decided to stay in Arusha for three days at Tumaini Cottage based on the good reviews on TripAdvisor and Andy's prompt return of emails.

Andy, the owner, was great. He picked us up at JRO airport at around 10pm, and had a nice van to transport us and our luggage. It took about an hour to get to Tumaini Cottage. When we got there at 11pm, his wife came out to greet us with some delicious mango juice. This was totally unexpected.

We ended up being the only people staying at Tumaini Cottage the three nights we were there. The service was excellent. Breakfast every morning consisted of toast, fresh fruit (which they grow right at the cottage), and an omelet. They also had a television in the dining area which was usually playing the news. If not covered in clouds, we had a nice view of Mount Meru from the dining area. We ended up getting dinner one night at the cottage. I had chicken curry, which was excellent and reasonably priced.

Our room was very nice, and the shower was always hot. Andy frequently checked in with us to assure that we were doing well and that our showers were hot. The wireless internet worked well.

The cottage is surrounded by a cement wall for privacy. The grounds of the property are beautiful, and full of greenery and plants. At one point our waiter gave us a tour and showed us their garden, mango trees, avocado trees, banana trees, and chickens which they get their eggs from. Outside the gated property is a dirt road with run-down buildings typical of the area. This was similar to all the other hotels we stayed at, and I felt perfectly comfortable and in a relaxing paradise at Tumaini Cottage despite the surrounding conditions outside the gate. There was one night where we could hear dogs barking at night (our windows were open), and one morning around 5am where we could hear some religious music/chanting happening quite a distance away, but I didn't find it to be a big deal.

We did not have anything planned while we were in Arusha, but Andy helped us get transportation and find us activities to do. Our first day, he called us a taxi to bring us into Arusha to explore. The next day, he set us up with a Terengu Cultural Tour and waterfall hike. On our final day, we needed to get from Arusha to Moshi to meet our tour company. Andy offered to get us a private car for $100, offered to drive us himself for $100, and also offered to drive us to the bus station at no charge. We decided to take a bus to get the full Tanzanian experience. The bus station was extremely chaotic and intimidating. While Andy waited with us in his car, his wife got tickets for us and our suitcases ($8 total), and told the bus driver where we needed to go. We would have had difficulty doing this on our own, and we are grateful for Andy and his wife helping us out.

I would recommend Tumaini Cottage to anyone traveling to Arusha. Andy, his wife, and his staff were all great, and I knew they would always be there for us if we needed anything.

We traveled to Tanzania in January/February 2014.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank swhitty
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We arrived here looking for a place in Arusha, we had misjudged the location and it wasn't quite where we needed it to be.
I wanted to write, as the owner Andy was so courteous, helpful and understanding. He gave us a drink, showed us the rooms which looked great, and then even gave us a lift back into town when we decided not to stay.
The rooms look quite luxurious, the views fantastic, and the owner very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

After having happened upon Tumaini Cottage totally by accident online, I talked to son Crispin in the USA before getting several emails from host Andy asking where to pick me up, when I came from Nairobi. From the start of my five day stay (to shoot videos of Young World Inventors in East Africa) to the end, when I was sad to leave and totally rested despite a hectic schedule, I can say that no other lodging presents a more attentive, efficient and caring staff than Tumaini's. Hostess Lillian gave me fresh mango juice on my arrival, and I couldn't have been more relieved to have constant power, solar heated water and power, fresh eggs and veggies and amazing avocados from the beautiful property. All that on top of constant, reliable, free wifi: this is real haven, removed from the hustle of Arusha town in Sakina. Andy and Lillian and the staff are eager to help with any need, from taxi to pikipiki, to long distance calls when credit card has been lost. :-( Pole Pole: slow down, they kept reminding me. Everything's gonna be alright!
-- grateful Diane from Boston.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Our family of 5 stayed at the Tumaini cottages in Arusha, Tanzania after going up Kilimanjaro and visiting Serengeti and Ngorongoro. Andy and Lillian were wonderful and took great care of us. Lillian cooked up some wonderful meals and Andy handled several requests including flight reconfirmations and taxi arrangements. The Tumaini cottages are comfortable and on a quiet backstreet not far from the downtown areas. They also took care of a mountain of laundry accumulated during our mountain climbing and was nice to be able to pack clean clothes instead of the dusty/dirty clothes that we dropped off, all for a very reasonable price. The real advantage here is the personal service and does not feel like staying in a hotel. Andy and Lillian and their staff are wonderful people and do a great job at making Tumaini Cottages a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family