Songota Falls Lodge
US$61
Agoda.com
US$553
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbanana souphomemade juicescity noisepeaceful placetwo nightsshort drivea wonderful place to staythe main roadthe cottagesraymondlodgefoothillstanzaniacommunitymamamonkeyssafari
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Nothing like it in the area. Amazing value for money, stunning views, great service, lovely food and brilliant rooms. I stayed 2 nights and was so lucky to have the place to myself on the 1st night, Joyce set me up a sofa and a table in the garden overlooking the beautiful views with a cold Kili beer and it is seriously one of the best beers I have ever had...thanks Joyce. If I am ever back in that area of the world I will go straight to Songota for a couple of nights!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Stayed at the lodge in Feb 2014 for 2 nights.
Good things - nestled in the heart of nature with wilderness all around. Had our first wildlife viewing here,- a group of blue monkeys, no less.
- good tasty food prepared by Joyce, the host at short notice
Not so good things - on the outskirts of Arusha, with a very bumpy and broken down approach road. Not possible to go out for shopping etc. without a local driver.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My family and I spent some days here in December 2011 and then my daughter and I returned this January 2014. The first time we came we fell in love with the lodge and we were well reminded of the reasons on our return. The lodge is run by Joyce Kimaro and her son Raymond. Joyce is a local woman who spends a lot of her time and energy helping poor and disabled members of her community. It includes 4 different bungalows cottages, on her lovely grounds. Very serene. Not infrequently one sees monkeys in the trees. The location is in a neighborhood a few minute car ride outside of Arusha, down a fairly lengthy rugged dirt road. The spot is wooded, overlooking the Songota Water falls, a short, but a bit rugged walk away. Perhaps most spectacular is Joyce's cooking. She is an artist with local fare and can make meals to order - be they for meat eaters or vegetarians. Not only is this a bit of an oasis, but it gives one a sense of local life.
Like any but the most expensive resorts in this region, electricity can be sometimes sporadic (though we did not experience any issues with this in 2014) which can impact hot water. Taxis fares can run about $8 - $10 each way to Arusha, though at times drivers would request higher amounts which was used to help the local community. If one is on a budget, one can walk about 20-25 minutes to the main road (a lovely walk on a dirt road through neighborhoods and wooded areas) and pick up local public transportation that costs approximately 30 cents each way to Arusha.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kay L
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My husband, three young adult daughters, and I very much enjoyed our stay at Songota Falls in July, 2013. Joyce, Raymond and Coba were very welcoming and helpful. The food was very good and plentiful, Joyce is a very good cook and she asked for our food preferences. She even packed boxed lunches at a reasonable price for our road trip when we left. The rooms were clean and tastefully decorated. There is no heat in the rooms, but the blankets kept us warm and comfortable while sleeping. We took a hike, with Raymond as our friendly guide, down to the waterfall. The lodge is in a beautiful setting and very peaceful. At night for security, there was a guard with a dog walking the grounds. When planning our trip, I had many questions for Joyce and she was prompt and very helpful in her email replies. We stayed at Songota Falls when we first arrived in Africa and returned after our safari trip. It was almost like returning to the comforts of home!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris D
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Songota Falls was the first place my family and I stayed at while in Tanzania, and I am very thankful for that! Joyce the owner was extremely accommodating as well as Ray and Coba they did everything they could to make us comfortable and ensure that we had a great experience. Joyce made delicious meals that allowed us to try some authentic African cuisine, while also making sure we were comfortable with what we were trying. She also worked completely around our schedule, which was extremely helpful! Ray was happy to show us around and take us on a hike to the beautiful Songota Falls pointing out interesting plants and wildlife along the way. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming! Songota Falls Lodge is definitely one of my favorite places I stayed at while in Tanzania and I hope to return some day!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family