“Probably a Decent Place for Arusha”

Pamoja Expedition Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arusha
Pamoja Expedition Lodge
Ranked #89 of 198 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed in lodge for three nights as part of a safari trip. Your experience with this lodge is probably depends on what you expect from it. If you plan only your sleeping hours there, this lodge is probably ok but you want to spend more hours there, you must know this is probably a 2-star accommodation (but probably still good for Arusha). This lodge is located a nicer neighborhood of Arusha. It has a nice garden and a swimming pool (but you most likely have better things to do than swimming in the pool). Breakfast was also good. We ran into trouble with our toilets and hot water but the staff were quick enough to fix the issues or change our room.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 July 2012

This review is LONG overdue. I was at Pemoja in January, staying there on either side of a 7 day hike up Mt Kilimanjaro.

I became very ill on the last day of our hike and had to be evacuated to a hospital, not arriving in Arusha until very late in the night. When Pemoja manager Boniface and concierge George found out I was in hospital they both came to visit me straight away. They both then came back the next morning with food and water for me from the hotel as hospitals in Tanzania don't provide patients any food/water.

I am eternally grateful for their care and attention to me; it was certainly not expected on my behalf and I feel that they went above and beyond what most hotels will do for their guests.

As for the accommodation itself, the rooms were well equipped with huge mosquito nets, the beds comfortable and pool clean and refreshing. Our bathroom door didn't shut properly but that is the only smallest of worries. Loved having fresh fruit for breakfast and gorgeous George was always ready to take us any place in town we needed to go. For a quiet and relaxing stay, this is the place to go.

Overall, thanks to the service, I can't speak more highly of this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We got to the pamoja lodge after we didn't have room for one more night at the outpost lodge so they sent us to this one which is located just 2 minutes from the outpost lodge.
the place is nice, we got a pretty big room with a (very) large mosquitoes net. There is a nice old man taking care of everything (reception, room service, waiter in the restaurant) and very friendly.
The restaurant is average. There is a small pool, and the place looks like it has the potential to be a very nice lodge, but it's kind of deserted, i don't know why.
they don't have mosquitoes net on the windows, but it's not that bad.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2012

The room is very similar to that of Outpost Lodge, and both have nice gardens, and wifi in the dining area.
Unlike Outpost, it does not provide shampoo/shower gel etc.

But that is not what bothers me.

One of the staff there is not very professional. Anything that does not come with a price tag, he just overcharge it.
I had a simple meal there, so-called special of the day (not on the menu, no price-tag), and he later asked for $12. (very over-priced for a plate of fried rice)
I asked him if they have postcards, and he only came back with a bunch of postcards and asked for $4 per postcard. Of course I turned it down. It only cost from 500shilling ~ $1 per postcard anywhere in Arusha. BTW, 700 shilling stamp for postcard going international.
It was very unpleasant experience and very unprofessional.

I went on to stay in the Outpost Lodge across from the street instead for the rest of the trip. The staffs in Outpost are weigh more professional and honest.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Fiona_Cheng9999
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I frequently travel to Arusha, Tanzania. One of the places I like to stay is the Pamoja Lodge. It's a great location, a quiet, tree lined street close to the central clock tower. The service is excellent, they will go the extra mile to help their guest. The rooms are clean, although a bit beat up, the place is definitely on the budget side. There is a decent hot shower and an ok breakfast. As a solo woman traveler, I always feel safe here. It's a good value for what you pay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My initial rating was average, but after being swindled during dinner and then returning from my kili climb to the Outpost Lodge, right across the street and in a similar price range, I realized how much more I could get for my money - thus the poor rating. Both had clean pools and complimentary breakfast as well as free wi-fi.

Pros: Netting provided for the beds were great. Clean towels & sheets. Offer a safe for valuables when you leave your room (just a tool-box locked in the office but they give a receipt for the items you leave.) Rooms a good size and all necessary amenities are available. The BEST thing about this place was the laptop they leave on a table for guest use - free of charge! Breakfast is also included and is decent.

Cons: Shower gets entire bathroom wet as there is no curtain and no mat is provided for the floor. Walls in the room could use a cleaning (see photo attached.) Would prefer curtains in bathroom that covered the whole window & a clothes hook in the bathroom would be nice, otherwise the close go in the sink or on the toilet during your shower.

My biggest issue with this place was the horrible service for dinner/lunch. First night had a hamburger (it was microwaved and was still cold in the middle.) Second night opted for a side of french fries. The "waiter," who looked like he hated his job, charged me for the full hamburger and fries. I argued him down to the price for the chicken sandwich & fries ($1 less) even though all I had was a side of fries. Orders also came out completely wrong & they didn't care. They provide coffee all day but if you ask for milk or cream they just say they don't have any (but it miraculously appears at breakfast every morning.) Avoid purchasing food there at all costs - if you still stay here I would at least recommend going across the street to the Outpost for dinners or lunches. The rooms here aren't too bad but the meals and service are horrid!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank alimariew
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Pamoja Lodge is a decent, affordable place in Arusha, but not luxurious or welcoming by any stretch. The rooms are utilitarian and the "compound" feel is not very attractive.
The staff is very laid back - to the point that you're not sure who is working there and who is simply hanging out watching soccer on the always-on television, as european backpackers chain-smoke their evenings away (How do Europeans smoke so much yet have better life expectancy than the US...?).

Anyway, we stayed here and at the Outpost across the street. Outpost had much better rooms, more friendly staff, more safe feeling, and nicer breakfast and design. Unless you really need to save that extra $9 per night, stay at the Outpost. If Outpost is booked or you're really on a budget, Pamoja is fine. It's Arusha after all. You're not there for luxury.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the back wing near the pool. The front wing will have you up all night listeni...