“Comfortable Stay”

Snow Crest Hotel
Snow Crest Hotel
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night prior to our safari. We found the rooms comfortable & clean. There is free internet in the rooms & wifi in the common areas like reception & restaurant.. The gift shop in this place offers decent collection & reasonable price.. There is a swimming pool & a gym though both are quite small.. Though the hotel is situated on the highway, it is quiet.. Food & the room service is good. One can pay the bills in either USD or Tanzania Shillings. Staff are friendly.. One thing to note is there is frequent power shut down in this part of the world, so you will see your air-con switching off frequently & taking some time to switch on again when the invertor is on.. This can be little irritating when it is hot & takes some time before the aircon is back again..

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Snow Crest Hotel

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Stayed her one night after kilimanjaro and one night after a Safari. Staff were all especially friendly and helpful. Rooms were very nice with excellent showers and a safe. Bar area was pleasant as was the small pool area. The doorman was very helpful. The restuarant was a little confusing in the evening as it was not clear what menu's were available, however they will cook within reason anything you want, the kitchen was spotless and the food quality on the a la carte menu very good. A little way outside the centre of town.

Room Tip: Closest to reception is easiest
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maddog186460
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Myself and 3 of my friends spent 1 night here prior to going on safari. Our bags were taken to our rooms, we were met with drinks at reception, check-in staff were pleasant and the man who showed us to our room (you will need to be shown, the hotel is huge and confusing, almost maze-like) was very friendly.
We had a 'family room' which consisted of 2 ajoining rooms, one double and and one twin. the rooms were clean and nicely decorated. the bathrooms were also very nice. My only complint with our room was that our air-con unit was not working, and when I called reception and asked for this to be fixed, nobody came.
The hotel has a turn-down service; i had never experienced this before. In the evening a maid would knock the door, come in and draw the curtains closed then fold down your duvet, then leave. It was a nice touch, however quite unecessary, I can draw my own curtains and fold down my own duvet.
Dinner at the hotel was very nice, lovely food, however the dining room had no atmosphere and was awkwardly quiet. I can say the same for the bar, no atmosphere at all. My friends and I did not stay there long.
Got a very goot sleep, really comfortable beds. Breakfast was good if you liked cooked breakfast but not a huge variety when it came to cereals or pastries etc.
checking out was no problem and the staff were very nice. I paid the bill in US$ as we left which was not a problem.
over all, very nice hotel with good evening meal. however served an average breakfast and had no atmosphere. It was more than adequate for a one night stay but I would not have liked to have a longer stay at this hotel.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

Great hotel to stay before and after climbing Kilimanjaro. Wasn't expecting much when tour operator (Skyline) said comfortable 2 star hotel so was very pleasantly surprised. Room was lovely and had a fantastic bathroom and shower which is all you care about after 7 days without a wash! Food - buffet out by the pool was fine. Only grumble was that this is the most confusing hotel to find your way about, the room numbering is very confusing - not easy when you are with a large group of folk. Or maybe I was just too tired to figure it out! Ordered food from the bar at lunchtime which took ages to arrive, one of our group ended up having to cancel his order after an hour because we were leaving.

1  Thank chrisandbex
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I recently stayed here for a Kilimanjaro climb. The room is was in was great, really nice bed, big TV, huge bathroom, great shower!

I was climbing Kili with a group of over 120 people (chairty and world record attempt climb) so we did cause some confusion and delays in the hotel, but the staff managed everything so well.
We stayed one night and then the next 8 were on the mountain and then we returned to the same hotel for 4 nights for our safari and relaxation after the climb.
It was so nice to get into a hot shower after so long camping! The food was SO DELICIOUS!!! and there was always so much of it! I really enjoyed my time here!

Only had one small problem, the key card for my room kept failing, but I talked to other guests and it seemed to be just me, must have got the dud one, but reception staff were happy to fix it each time.
Free wi-fi was great too! There is a pool but I didn't use it.
Oh yeah, if you've done a Kili climb, everything you own will be covered in dust... The laundry service here was amazing, all my fellow climbers had their bags, clothes and boots cleaned to perfection, like new, and for a great price :D

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We had an unexpected extra day in Arusha....and Arusha is not a place you need to be an extra day. The Snow Crest was functionally fine....beds, showers etc all were of a good standard but the location is poor, being quite a distance outside the town. However, a couple of words of warning for those who are planning on hiring a guide for a tour of the town and environs, or those who are planning to pay by credit card.

We were offered a guide by the concierge at an approximate cost of $10 each way to the town plus a tip for the guide/driver's time. On this basis, we booked it thinking we were incurring a $25-$35 cost for approximately two hours. The following day, our guide picked us up, drove us around Arusha for two hours and as I was trying to give him $35 in the hotel parking lot on arriving back, he looked at the money and said the cost was actually $90. On seeing my expression, he quickly said that he would be happy with $80. I told him I wasn't paying this and he immediately dropped the price to $40, whereupon I gave him an additional $5.

On the issue of credit cards, we had asked on arrival if we could pay by credit (in order to conserve USD) and were told this was fine. Two days later, on paying our bill, we were informed that there was a 6% surcharge for credit card payment. I pretested it to the front desk staff to no avail, then to the manager who arrogantly told me it was a charge the Bank of Tanzania insisted that tourists pay if paying by credit card. This, of course, is total bs....their merchant credit card fee is around 2.5% which is their cost for the privilege of taking credit cards. Instead, the hotel more than doubles the charge to 6% and then tries to pass it on to the customer....outrageous business behavior.

Every other lodging (Bililla Lodge, Ras Michiamvi etc.) we had throughout Tanzania were delighted to take credit cards and not to pass on any charges to us, so we deem the Snow Crest behavior to be dishonest and verging on scamming.

So, for these reasons, this hotel failed to impress and we would not recommend it to new visitors to Tanzania...it was an unpleasant introduction to the country.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Don35
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Hotel was clean. They had free internet service.Breakfast was included. Staff was very nice and accomodating through the booking process and during our stay. Shower had amazing water pressure with hot water. For a one night stay it was perfect could not ask for better for the price.

The best feature was the shower!

1  Thank worldtraveler193