“Lovely Lodge, better than expected!!!”

Arusha Planet Lodge
Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Atlanta, Georgia
“Lovely Lodge, better than expected!!!”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I booked this Lodge for our wedding anniversary, and stayed there for three nights.
On arrival we received a complimentary drink and a bottle of wine in our room.
The free wifi was an added bonus.

From Breakfast to lunch and dinner the food was great, and reasonably priced; no complaints.

The poolside bar was a great place to sit and have a cooling drink away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The gardens are superb.

Our room was spacious, very comfortable, clean and quiet.

The staff were very friendly and eager to help.

Room Tip: balcony with view of Mount Meru, or view of swimming pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jaysen L
PlanetLodger, Director of Sales at Arusha Planet Lodge, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Jeysen L,

First and foremost, thank you for sharing you anniversary with us. Our goal is to provide the best service possible, and I am very pleased that you have experienced our great service. We would be very happy to welcome you back soon!

Regards,
Eva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I spent 3 nights before my safari at Planet Lodge and one night afterwards. It was low season so the hotel was very quiet but all the staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome and at home. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable with good nets and fans. The bathroom and shower seemed fine to me (there was talk of low pressure another guest but my shower worked OK). The pool area is great - and you can order drinks or snacks from your recliner and there is a great view of Mount Meru. The food is simple but fine (the curries especially) and is reasonably priced. What makes this lodge special though is the attitude of Manager Eva and her staff. Nothing seems too much trouble and they are happy to solve any problems you may have (one of the girls at Reception even used her own phone to call my safari company to see if I'd left my glasses in the vehicle and then called my room later to tell me she'd arranged for them to be delivered to me the next day.) From the bar staff, to the waiters, the chef, cleaners and the hotel driver everyone seems proud to work at Planet Lodge and they are all lovely to chat to. I would definitely go back - the only downside (as has been noted) is that it can take a while to get into town because the traffic into Arusha is really bad in the mornings and early evenings.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank JanesLondon
India
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We stayed at Planet Lodge the night we arrived in Tanzania for our safari. We were dog-tired after a long journey to Africa. We hadn't double-checked on this place when it was put into our safari itinerary, knowing that it was only a transit point before setting out on our safari early the next morning. Had we double-checked, I am fairly certain we would have chosen a different lodge.

Planet Lodge is about an hour's drive away from the Kilimanjaro International Airport. The staff are polite and courteous. The rooms are about average. Our room was comfortable but smelled slightly musty like it hadn't been aired out in a while. There was a creepy crawly on the bed - while I'd been prepared for creepy crawlies while on the safari, out in the national parks, I was surprised to find one here. The circular room consisted of a double-bed with a mosquito net, a writing desk and chair, a closet and bedside tables. The bathroom was clean and functional with a shower and running water. Amenities like soaps and shower gels were provided as well.

The dinner buffet set up in the main dining area is open till 9PM. The food was possibly the worst that we tasted in Tanzania. While the steamed rice and other side dishes were barely palatable, there was a mutton gravy dish of sorts that was positively vile. It tasted like molten plastic! I was afraid I'd be sick right at the onset of our safari and preferred to stay hungry until breakfast the next morning.

The breakfast buffet turned out to be better. Eggs, cereal, pancakes and fruit.

There are a couple of computers at the reception with internet connections, which is convenient.

I would only recommend Planet Lodge if you're using it as a transit point if your safari begins in Arusha. Otherwise, you're better off someplace else.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sarita P
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My colleague and I traveled to Tanzania for work recently. We spent 10 days at Planet Lodge. 10 wonderfully comfortable and delightful days! While Planet Lodge is a bit far from Arusha and it gets costly to travel back and forth to town, it was also a pleasure to be in a quite and comfortable hotel--away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
We especially appreciated how comfortable the beds were. The rooms are large and charmingly decorated. The breakfast is delicious and filling. The coffee strong and plentiful. The food delicious. The staff was exceedingly helpful and friendly.
I would recommend this place to anyone traveling to Arusha, although I would hesitate if they needed to be in Arusha town on a daily basis.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank FlyingNurseVT
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I've only visited Planet Lodge for the pool, quite a nice location with the backdrop of Mount Meru, umbrellas and sun-loungers. Bar service at the pool is pretty quick. Food service from the pool is slow due to someone having to walk to the kitchen 80m away and place the order, but the food is good.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Came here for a weekend holiday to get away from the city and relax and was very happy. The lodge was quiet, the room was big with a private balcony and hot showers, there was a small pool area and a comfy reception/restaurant/bar area. Dinner was great, breakfast was pretty standard - fruit, eggs, toast, etc. The staff were fantastic - very accommodating and polite. I definitely recommend staying here if you'd just like a quiet place to relax.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I was very happy to spend a night at Planet Lodge on my Kili trip in Tanzania. It is comfortable, pleasant and has wifi and a very friendly helpful staff. The breakfast buffet was very good...eggs made anyway you want on site. I did not eat dinner here. I would go back to this hotel. I would recommend they invest in a fan or two for people like me to borrow who come from cold climates...LOL.

Room Tip: maybe a good idea to ask for the closest cabana to the reception...easy to get lost finding your way...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
PlanetLodger, Director of Sales at Arusha Planet Lodge, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear dogzzarecool,

We appreciate you choosing us for your stay in Arusha! I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay.. particularly the breakfast options, comfortable and pleasant grounds, wifi and a very friendly helpful staff.

You might be glad to also learn that a third of our rooms have AC units installed already! We listen and take action based on client feedback. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve the property and services.

It was our privilege to have you and Karibu tena (Swahili for: welcome back to) Planet Lodge!

Regards,