“Warm and inviting with 4 star luxury”

Arusha Planet Lodge
Ranked #3 of 42 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family and I travelled to Tanzania for a camera safari. Having done the trip two years ago, I was hesitant to have a lodge provide car service so early in the morning after a bad experience. Planet Lodge coordinated a driver and pleasantly they were at the airport when we arrived at 2:30 am. The driver was very helpful. Despite the hour, now close to 4 am, we were greeted at reception and soon found ourselves in a beautiful room with outstanding views. The buildings are designed like Maasai bomas with two rooms per unit. Very quiet as each unit is well distanced from each other.
We spent the next several days at Planet Lodge and found the staff to be warm and friendly. The hotel grounds are beautiful and the food was outstanding. This was a great start to a wonderful time on safari in Tanzania! I would recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone heading to Tanzania.

Room Tip: This hotel is secluded from Arusha with security and enclosed facility.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was a guest for four nights in early June, 2014 following an attempted climb on Mt. Kilimanjaro. I arrived filthy and exhausted so the unexpected comfort of my private casita was welcome. The room was nicely appointed but there was no phone or TV and wifi reception only worked in the lobby. The shower was warm enough though water spilled over the entire floor due to the strange draining system. I was able to borrow a hair dryer from the front desk. The toiletries were nice and replaced daily. I also appreciated the slippers (though they didn't appear freshly laundered). I'd sent out my boots for cleaning and didn't have anything else to wear. A robe to put on after your shower would have been a nice touch.

I took all my meals at the hotel though I was not informed of the full board option and paid separately for lunch, dinner and cocktails. Breakfast was included. The food was good, nicely served and you could dine inside by candlelight at night and outside at lunch.

I took one trip off the property in four days to the Cultural Museum on a Sunday. I was not informed by staff that the museum closed at 2pm and I arrived at 1pm so I barely had time to view it. I would have returned another day but the round-trip taxi was $40USD.

Although there were other side trips available, the price seemed rather steep and I already had plans for game drives and cultural experiences following my aborted climb so I didn't take advantage of what they offered. I could have gone to town on the shuttle but it only goes out and back at 10am and returns at 4pm. I couldn't imagine what I would do for six hours...the option to take the local bus was not mentioned.

I spent my time relaxing by the pool, reading in the garden, checking out my Facebook on the computer in the lobby or walking the grounds. The staff was cordial and greeted me daily.
Although it was an unexpected detour, I'm glad I had such a pleasant place to stay and I recommend it not just for a night but an extended stay.

Room Tip: Didn't use fitness center/spa can't rate
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The lodge is good situated for a day trip to the Arusha national park or to start a safari to Tarangire or Ngorongoro national parks. Nice view to mount Meru.
The rooms are well equipped with comfortable beds and mosquito nets. The lighting in the bathroom and the room itself could be better.
The service is good to very good. We get a warm welcome and for one dinner we get even an especially for us prepared local dish which was not on the menu card. The manager was asking us in the afternoon if everything is ok and after mentioning that the only thing we miss is a local dish we get it at the same evening.
The breakfast and the lunch box we get was good average.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Staying here for 1 night before safari. Staff are friendly. Rooms are big and clean. Wifi works well in room. I had the room closest to the lobby. TV is OK, English channels available. Hot water doesn't stay on for long but I usually have long showers, so not a deal breaker. At 19.30, staff member came to pull the mosquito net over the bed. What great service!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cp-foodie
Reviewed 7 May 2014

A very peaceful and relaxing place to stay. Staff were helpful and friendly, rooms were very clean and spacious with nice views from the little balcony. Reasonably priced also! A welcome break from the road..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jean E
PlanetLodger, Director of Sales at Arusha Planet Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Jean E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with others on Trip Advisor. I am glad you found Planet Lodge to be "A very peaceful and relaxing place to stay. Staff were helpful and friendly, rooms were very clean and spacious with nice views from the little balcony. Reasonably priced also!" We enjoy helping our guests relax and feel at home here...

Asante sana for choosing us and we hope to see you again when you are in Arusha!

~ Eva for Planet Lodge Team.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My girlfriend and I took a road trip to Arusha from Nairobi and spent the Easter weekend at this lovely haven of peace. Of course thanks to TripAdvisor for ranking them as the top choice for 2014. It is highly deserved. The customer service is out of this world, always smiling and very polite. The staff speak fluent English, they respond to every request promptly too. The lady (I forgot her name) and Evance were quite helpful. They even helped me find a mobile money transfer agent nearby to pay & book for our Safari tour to Arusha National Park. The garden and the architecture of the huts is wonderful. The room was very spacious, with hot water and an umbrella (came in handy since it rained a lot that weekend). We loved the food at the restaurant. They even offered to extend breakfast time for us to11am when it rained so much on Saturday morning... This place simply put; My girlfriend fell so in love with Planet Lodge and Arusha, I must admit I felt a lil' jealous. However for Safari lovers, best time to visit Arusha is July to December. it's sunny with little or no rains and so you get to see all the animals out in the parks. April is a bit subdued, but thanks to Phillip (our tour guide) we enjoyed the national park tour. You can always get in touch with him (www.africasafaris-tz.com). He is quite affordable and a polite guy. We look forward to our next visit, this time to Serengeti & Ngorongoro.

Room Tip: If you need rooms with TV you must specify, our room didn't have one
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jotham K
PlanetLodger, Director of Sales at Arusha Planet Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Hello Jotham K,

Asante sana for choosing us for your Easter retreat! We thoroughly enjoyed having you and your girlfriend here. The whole team is very encouraged that you found our "customer service is out of this world..." Satisfied customers are central to our goals and values and we are all glad to know you we met your expectations.

Thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you both again in the near future!

~ Eva for Planet Lodge Team

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We had a very pleasant 3 nights stay. Very friendly staff with warm reception ready to assist at all times. Clean, spacious rooms with excellent green gardens. Our children had an excellent time at the pool and the play area with a magnificent view of Mt. Meru. The reception, lounge and dining areas blended well, just the right size to make the place simple and cosy. Esther, Otieno, Joyce, Veronica, Winnie and all the other staff thank you for making our stay memorable. Eva, we are grateful for your assistance in pointing out places of interest around Arusha. This made our stay in Arusha, which was the first one, quite a good experience. One recommendation would be to put a signage along Old Moshi road near Clock Tower to indicate distance to the lodge. I would recommend Planet Lodge for those interested in staying away from the busy city center.

Room Tip: Rooms with View of Mt. Meru
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Waruingi

Dear Waruingi,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us! It was our pleasure to have you and your family stay with us. Your recommendation on putting signage along Old Moshi road near Clock Tower is well noted and appreciated - we will work on it.

Receive warm greetings from Esther, Otieno, Joyce, Veronica, Winnie and the rest of the team. As promised, we all look forward to seeing you again in December - God willing.

Karibuni tena!