“An excellent place to stay before or after your safari!”
Review of Planet Lodge

Planet Lodge
Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“An excellent place to stay before or after your safari!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at Planet Lodge for a day before and after our safari and could not have been happier with this place. It's a hidden gem and a terrific property. The rooms were very clean, incredible service, plenty of hot water, and it's a very comfortable property to be at. We used the pool, the pool bar, and ate dinner at the restaurant. All were wonderful. The view of the mountain is beautiful and we will absolutely stay here again if our travels take us back to Arusha!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank morypagel
PlanetLodger, Director of Sales at Planet Lodge, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear morypagel,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to share your experience at Planet Lodge! I am glad to know you used the pool, the pool bar, and ate dinner at the restaurant and found all to be wonderful. Yes, we also think the view of Mount Meru from the pool and chalets is beautiful. We sure hope to see you back soon. Asante sana!

Eva for Planet Lodge Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Hebrew first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed in a couple of hotels in Arusha and compared to them, this was a nicer lodge. It is reasonable compared to some other hotels in Arusha and it is very nice too. We loved the little hut like rooms that are made as an independent unit along a nicely trimmed garden.

It was quiet, neat but just a bit far from the city. The only thing is that the food takes a lot of time and you will have a problem looking for a cab outside this lodge but still I would recommend it to yellow travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
boise
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The site is nice and well kept, the rooms are great, and, best of all, the driver was there to pick us up in the middle of the night at JRO airport! We were stranded there once before, and it was uncomfortable. There are taxis available, but it is so nice to have certainty of who will be there and where you will be going after many hours of time zone changes and flights.
Eva at the front desk is such an asset. She studied a bit in the U.S., was very proficient in her English, and so was very patient and clear in her responses to my many questions.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed 15 July 2014

this hotel is well run, very comfortable, food is great, staff are excellent. It is a great place to unwind before and after a safari or trek. Airport pick ups can be arranged. don't be put off by the surrounding area. Free wifi and nice, if a bit chilly, swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family and I travelled to Tanzania for a camera safari. Having done the trip two years ago, I was hesitant to have a lodge provide car service so early in the morning after a bad experience. Planet Lodge coordinated a driver and pleasantly they were at the airport when we arrived at 2:30 am. The driver was very helpful. Despite the hour, now close to 4 am, we were greeted at reception and soon found ourselves in a beautiful room with outstanding views. The buildings are designed like Maasai bomas with two rooms per unit. Very quiet as each unit is well distanced from each other.
We spent the next several days at Planet Lodge and found the staff to be warm and friendly. The hotel grounds are beautiful and the food was outstanding. This was a great start to a wonderful time on safari in Tanzania! I would recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone heading to Tanzania.

Room Tip: This hotel is secluded from Arusha with security and enclosed facility.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I was a guest for four nights in early June, 2014 following an attempted climb on Mt. Kilimanjaro. I arrived filthy and exhausted so the unexpected comfort of my private casita was welcome. The room was nicely appointed but there was no phone or TV and wifi reception only worked in the lobby. The shower was warm enough though water spilled over the entire floor due to the strange draining system. I was able to borrow a hair dryer from the front desk. The toiletries were nice and replaced daily. I also appreciated the slippers (though they didn't appear freshly laundered). I'd sent out my boots for cleaning and didn't have anything else to wear. A robe to put on after your shower would have been a nice touch.

I took all my meals at the hotel though I was not informed of the full board option and paid separately for lunch, dinner and cocktails. Breakfast was included. The food was good, nicely served and you could dine inside by candlelight at night and outside at lunch.

I took one trip off the property in four days to the Cultural Museum on a Sunday. I was not informed by staff that the museum closed at 2pm and I arrived at 1pm so I barely had time to view it. I would have returned another day but the round-trip taxi was $40USD.

Although there were other side trips available, the price seemed rather steep and I already had plans for game drives and cultural experiences following my aborted climb so I didn't take advantage of what they offered. I could have gone to town on the shuttle but it only goes out and back at 10am and returns at 4pm. I couldn't imagine what I would do for six hours...the option to take the local bus was not mentioned.

I spent my time relaxing by the pool, reading in the garden, checking out my Facebook on the computer in the lobby or walking the grounds. The staff was cordial and greeted me daily.
Although it was an unexpected detour, I'm glad I had such a pleasant place to stay and I recommend it not just for a night but an extended stay.

Room Tip: Didn't use fitness center/spa can't rate
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Cham, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The lodge is good situated for a day trip to the Arusha national park or to start a safari to Tarangire or Ngorongoro national parks. Nice view to mount Meru.
The rooms are well equipped with comfortable beds and mosquito nets. The lighting in the bathroom and the room itself could be better.
The service is good to very good. We get a warm welcome and for one dinner we get even an especially for us prepared local dish which was not on the menu card. The manager was asking us in the afternoon if everything is ok and after mentioning that the only thing we miss is a local dish we get it at the same evening.
The breakfast and the lunch box we get was good average.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends