“A nice place to stay.”

Ranked #5 of 104 Arusha B&B and Inns
Columbus, Ohio
“A nice place to stay.”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

A friend and I spent nights there before and after a climb. We both enjoyed our stay. The staff was warm and friendly. The water pressure was good and we always had hot water for showers. Meals were very yummy I liked the lamb the best. The hotel is walkable to town but it is a long walk. I think it was 30-45 min taxi ride from the airport. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PlacetoJourney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were quite looking forward to our one-night stay at Zawadi House, after reading all the positive reviews. However, the hotel that we encountered was very different than the one in those glowing reviews. Firstly, we had to ask around to find someone who could check us in. Once she showed up, she didn’t do much to acknowledge us, but gave us two key cards (we reserved three rooms), with barely any explanation as to which rooms they opened and which of us should be in each room. We needed a single, a double and one double with an extra bed, for a child. We had to figure out ourselves where to go. They then gave us another key a while later. Going to the bar for a pre-dinner drink was also disappointing. We ordered two different types of wines before they said that they had NO wine in the hotel. Also no Coke. And, only one kind of beer. Apparently, there had been a party there the night before which had taken almost all of their beverage selection. So, we ordered vodka sodas with lime. No lime… Some of us thought it better to go back to the room to take a shower. Nope. Bad idea. The showers in all rooms go from scalding to freezing and from good water pressure to no water pressure, at the drop of a hat. Be prepared to jump out of the way! Oh, and your bath mat will probably be dirty. Two out of three of our rooms had dirty bath mats.

Okay fine, we’ll just go to dinner. By all indications, this was the first dinner that they had ever served in this restaurant. The food wasn’t bad, and the staff there was very nice and tried hard, but they couldn’t manage to deliver the drinks that we ordered, the butter that we requested, or have enough food on the buffet. Many people had to wait a while to get food. Breakfast was the same way. They finally set up an egg cooking station when we were almost finished eating. And, we weren’t there particularly early. The staff did try to make our dinner better by giving us a (free) bottle of wine. However, I would have liked that bottle better if I had paid for it and been able to drink it earlier when I had first asked for wine and I was told that there wasn’t any in the hotel. But, again, they tried.

This hotel does profess to have wifi, but guess what? Right, you are! That didn’t work. Apparently, it never works for Apple products, according to the surly front desk lady. And, only one device per room is authorized. But it should have worked with my Android. It worked for a couple of hours, then I needed to get a new password. Then, later, that password went bad and I wasn’t in the mood to go find support. AGAIN. Asked for a new login in the morning and was told that I could just use the front desk computer. Great…

To top off this Zawadi experience, they charged us 6% extra to use a credit card. Now, I’m pretty sure that goes against the agreement that they signed with the credit card companies. We were irate, but had to catch a flight, so didn’t have time to really fight it. If you ignore my advice and decide stay here, make sure you calculate the price based on that additional 6%.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Zawadi H, Owner at Zawadi House Lodge, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear MaryLee,

I am the owner of Zawadi House Lodge. Thank you very much for the feedback you provided through Trip Advisor.

I regret and apologize for the unsatisfactory service that was provided to you. I am taking drastic measures to rectify the situation and to ensure that Zawadi House consistently provide good services to meet and exceed the expectation of our valued customers.

Best Regards,

Margaret Marandu
Wickliffe
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Zawadi House before and after climbing Mount Kilimanjaro. It was recommended as an upgrade from the basic accommodations provided by Team Kilimanjaro. The place is small (only about ten rooms, I think), but it is quite charming and well appointed. It has a small, well manicured garden, a bar, and a restaurant that overlooks the neighboring banana plantation. The menu is quite limited (the chef prepares only 2 or 3 entree options each day), but everything I had was delicious and well presented. Breakfast is plentiful, with fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order, juice, toast, and tea or coffee. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and attractive, with quiet and effective air conditioning. The down sides are minor: it is too far from Arusha to walk there, especially for foreigners who are not accustomed to such environments. I paid $20 for someone from TK to drive me into town. Also, there were some issues with internet, power, and hot water malfunctioning from time to time, but I think this has more to do with Tanzanian infrastructure than with Zawadi House in particular. Whenever one of these things became an issue, the staff quickly did whatever they could to solve the problem. I would like to especially commend Emmanuel, who always greeted me with a broad smile and a genuine "can I help you?" He was a delight. I would definitely recommend Zawadi House

Stayed July 2014
Mzuzu, Malawi
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I still remember the treat all times I wanted to eat you made sure I ate what I wanted and like, this made zawadi a diference. You have just won my heart I love you. I did not know tanzania could give such nice coffe or was it the way you were making it I enjoyed your coffee. I dont forget Dorotea, Jackline, Emma n your short cook with a pasion to satify me with her recipies.i cant wait to be there again

Room Tip: All is great
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Walusungu M
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 8 March 2014

It feels more like a home than a hotel. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Its a little away from the main city and there isnt much in the walking distance. However if you can get past the location, then I would highly recommend this place. Rooms are cozy and comfortable and the staff does go out of its way to make your stay very comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We stayed in Zawadi House, Arusha Tanzania before we started our hike up Mount Kilimanjaro and again following our return before we went off on Safari.
We found it to be a little oasis - a place you really feel glad to come back to and where you feel you are with family. The staff at Zawadi House are outstanding - every one of them - lead by the very affable Ema (short for Emanuelle). They went out of their way to ensure that we were happy and all our need were met.
The power supply at Zawadi House (like the rest of Tanzania) is erratic but they do have a standby generator in the grounds that cuts in (usually fairly promptly) when the grid supply fails.
We found the rooms comfortable and clean and of fairly good size. The bathrooms work well and the water pressure is good - important detail when you have to scrub off one weeks worth of dust from your body after a week on the mountain !
The food at the hotel is not cheap though. You may be tempted to try some of the restaurants in Arusha for a change (on the Dalla Dalla of course !). The faint hearted can ask Ema to accompany them !
Overall an excellent place to use as your base whilst in Arusha.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Although I had read other reviews on Zawadi house, I was still surprised by the location. The area looked a little sketchy at first but once you are within the grounds, it is quite nice and peaceful. The location is fine for a quick overnight stay, but there isn't anywhere you can easily walk to.

Our room was adequate for an overnight stay- clean, comfortable, quiet. The staff were all very nice but could have been more efficient, especially with serving meals. Food was very good. Wifi was included but not always reliable.

• Stayed February 2014