Penguin Resort Hotel
US$277
US$219
US$553
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed at the Penguin for 3 non-consecutive nights in July with 2 friends and everything was perfect. The place was calm and the chamber was clean and comfortable with a large bathroom. We had an access to the balcony (this one is really nice for relaxing a little after a safari or a trek and it provides good views). No mosquito net in the chamber so, if you think you need one, bring it with you.

The food was simple but really good. About the security of the place, it seems quite good, with security guard and electric wires.

The place is near an ATM and a supermarket (5 minutes by foot).

The staff was always there for us and quick to respond. They are all quite friendly. The manager is also someone you want to meet in your trip. He knows a lot of things about Tanzania and Arusha and, for us, he was so helpful, accompanying us in a dala dala to the town center, giving us advices and guiding us in the streets of Arusha. We also had a good time with him watching the world cup!

So, the Penguin is a real good price/quality value!

Room Tip: one with a balcony!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

On June I stayed one night from safari,It was me and and three friends from Germany who went together for 3 days camping safari, first when I checked my safari itinerary was asked myself this hotel is good OR bad?
But my tour Operator who was booked a place on my behalf,told me the place was great and quite,clean and have DSTV,because I wanted to watch some football match for this continued FIFA world cup in Brazil.

When I arrive met with smile staff at the car parking as well at reception when I checked in, in short my stay in this hotel was superb for many things from room,food and hospitality, I will remember them and promise to visit with my family in near future, but also want to thanks my tour operator Tanzania Tours Directory / www.infotanzania.net for choosing the good place to stay in Arusha.

Thank you all.

Room Tip: Ask to get balcony rooms have nice views,possible to see velvet monkeys.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We came to the hotel late at night because our bus from Dar es Salaam broke down. It's not easy to find the hotel, especially at night. We didn't have enough cash so they let us to pay the rest next day. It was really nice. The room was clean and comfotable.

Hotel is quite far from the city center - about 20 min walk. But you can catch the bus on the main road. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The manager bought us tickets to Nairobi.

Remember only to have enought cash because you can't pay by credit card. The nearest ATM is by the main road, so it's only 2 minutes from the hotel. There is also a shop where you can buy almost everything you need.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

For a modest room rate, this hotel gives you clean, modern rooms that are not cramped. The hotel manager though is the real gem, he has worked throughout Tanzania and is very knowledgeable in anything a tourist could ask. He can arrange any type of safari or tour that you want and is very responsive to emails. Car pick-ups from Arusha and Kilimanjaro airports went off without a hitch. The bathrooms are basic but plenty of hot water! There are a few rough spots in the hotel and its service but nothing major. A few key points:

The location is OK but requires a taxi to go to restaurants at night due to the distance. The hotel will gladly arrange this but you should not walk in the streets in Arusha at night. Day time is no problem and there is a supermarket where the lane the hotel is on meets the main street.

You need cash, they don't seem to be able to take any credit cards yet.

As pointed out some of the bathrooms have windows which taller people can see into from the hallway. Ask them to cover them with contact paper or change rooms.

The food is OK, but a little on the blander side. Ask what the local dishes are and try them, we found them much tastier and satisfying.

If you want luxury, this is not for you. But if you want high value, decent price with insightful advice on arranging safaris without a lot of unnecessary upsell, then you might want to give this place a try.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This was a really clean hotel with nice rooms and entertaining monkeys to watch on the roof tops. However - the long unlit alley to reach it and the functional dining and bar area means you are not going to want to stay here for more than one night unless you can afford taxis or want to have a very quiet evening in. As a stop over hotel it is perfect. Our bus from Dar Es Salaam took 15 hours - not the 9 that was advertised! The hotel staff were still up and welcomed us very late, offered us anything to eat or drink from the menu so that was really good hospitality. They were just as flexible in the morning and were offering breakfasts at any time. Arusha often is the place to stop over before moving somewhere else and this is a good hotel for that. I just wish I had asked them about the name!!!

Room Tip: Our room had a lovely balcony shared with the adjoining rooms. We passed some rooms with a bathroom window opening onto the hall which was disconcerting - you may want to ask for a room with an outward facing bathroom!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple