“Friendly, homey, fabulous view”

Arusha Hostel Lodge & Adventures
Ranked #59 of 176 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Justin & Jenna were wonderful hosts, both very friendly and accomodating. It's a fantastic view on top of that hill, of the busy Ngelelo section of town below, and not far into the centre of town. I would go back to AHLA for sure.

The bad parts were, and I stress "were", because when we (middle aged Canadian couple) visited last December/January the place was really still under construction: There were water issues, i.e., a fresh water leak under our bathroom toilet that spilled a couple of litres per day on the floor, OK, you don't expect a 5 star hotel when you are hostelling around and I would have cleaned it up willingly but I couldnt find a mop or a rag around! Also there was a lack of water for showers during our stay day --- but Justin hired a young man to pump the "bicycle" water pump so we could have tiny showers! A lot of work to please the guests under trying circumstances. Mosquitoes came in as the door was often left open, I got a lot of bites my first night in Africa, but no malaria, so hooray! They need a few more kitchen items, basic utensils, can't recall which but I missed some basic stuff when on my own. Also they could use some sort of gripping steps - stones or rubber tires, anything - on that steep path up the hill. I'm a fit mountain hiker but someone is going to fall badly sooner or later - after it rains they are very slippery.

But I repeat that I would definitely go back there as a backpacker. I know a lot of these things were fixed after we left because as I said, it was in a state of construction. Justin was putting in a new water system for example, and finishing up the two new cabins; I also see they have a great website now - so things are evolving there. Their attitude is "can do" and always useful and friendly - running a hostel from scratch cannot be easy. I wish Justin & Jenna all the best success in this busy lifestyle they have chosen.

George & Johanne, Ottawa, CANADA

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank george586
There are newer reviews for Arusha Hostel Lodge & Adventures

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I never write reviews for hostels or trips (I always forget), but I really want to make an exception for AHLA, because I thought it was absolutely amazing and is very deserving of a good review. The hike is adventurous and really nice, the view is from the top of the hill is stunning, and the hostel itself is clean and cosy. However, the highlight were Justin and his staff, who were so warm and welcoming and we had so much fun doing the hike to the waterfalls near Moshi (which I also highly recommend). They make you feel at home and can arrange every kind of activity you like. Justin took me to town, showed me around and on the last day made sure I was on the right bus back to the border (I stay in Kenya). All in all a fantastic hostel with fantastic staff.

Eva, the Netherlands

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Firstly I would like to give top marks to the location of the hostel, not only is it a peaceful location it also has fantastic views of Arusha! And fantastic scenery and the views and the sunset and sunrise, which was lovely and so pretty with the most amazing views and so nice to see this! The breakfast was really tasty and thoroughly enjoyed the fresh fruit and coffee and fresh bread was lovely, filled us up for the day ahead! Most of all the host was exceptional he really did go the extra mile to make us feel welcome and also would go out of his way to assist with anything and nothing was a trouble to him! When arriving in Africa he met us at the airport with a warm welcoming and was very friendly and helpful! This guy certainly makes the most fantastic host and can honestly say it is the best customer service I have Eva received! He certainly knows how to make guests welcome and also he has lots of experience in arranging mountain climbing, safaris and other exciting things to do in Arusha, Tanzania! He assisted with helping me arrange climbing Kilimanjaro and really did do a great job and chose a fantastic team! Which helped me through the challenge! He gave me detailed information of the hike and gave me excellent advice and went through my kit list all if which where no trouble to him! He always took the time out to assist with helping of guests and he worked so hard in ensuring guests were happy!The hill up to the hostel is really nice as you can see the scenery of Arusha and it is very much a positive aspect of the hostel,as the views are amazing! It's another world up there so pretty to see Arusha! The hostel was closer to town then the house our group was staying in and it was cheap enough to get to town when experiencing the nightlife of Arusha, so good location as it was peaceful and quiet which gives opportunity for a great nights sleep! Also town was not far from this hostel and easily accessible via dala or taxis was cheap enough too! Another great aspect is the wi fi that the hostel has it was a good connection compared to the rest of Africa therefore this is another positive aspect to the hostel! I really enjoyed my stay at this hostel and when I return to Arusha would be at the top of the list for accommodation! Big thank you to Justin and Valle for making us so welcome and I would give this hostel 100%! This guy is inspirational that he has designed this hostel and the fact that he is happy to help you have the most amazing time in Africa!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I represented a group of 5 budget travellers visiting Tanzania in Feb/March 2013. We wanted a central base for an organised 7 day Kilimanjaro trek, 2 one-day safaris around Arusha, a 4 day safari in Serengeti and some independent activities(a 3 day Meru trek, a trip to Zanzibar).We were looking for a local operator offering very good value for money . Everything went perfectly!
Arusha Hostel, Lodge, and Adventures (AHLA) www.arushahostellodgeandadventures.com
The location is ideal – on a low hill within an authentic African village. Because of its elevation it has excellent views around; the 5 min walk up the hill was good practice for the later ascents (the staff are happy to carry our 30 kg luggage for $ 1).
There is a friendly, family atmosphere and one can relax in the spacious lounge where there is information about the local attractions. They offer a wide range of adventures, basically anything you might want to do.
Breakfast is included and the staff will prepare a tasty home-made meal on request. It is possible to prepare your own food in the kitchen. A useful feature is that free Wi-Fi is available, unlike most budget accommodation around Kilimanjaro.
Cleanliness?There were some negative reviews on the hostelworld but we have to be realistic, not to lose sight of the bigger picture of adventurous travel in an unfamiliar culture and to be adaptable.
Definitely, I would recommend this hostel and its owner, Justin. The staff are local, hardworking and decent; I believe in the future of Tanzania after meeting them. The fact that we formed a lifelong relationship with the staff and invited them to visit our homes in Scotland and in Russia says everything.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends