“Excellent Safari”

Arusha Hostel Lodge & Adventures
Ranked #64 of 191 Speciality Lodging in Arusha
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We booked a safari camping trip for five days four nights in Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro with AHLA. The communication before hand was excellent and the price quoted was very competitive. The Lodge in Arusha is basic but clean rooms and beds. It is a steep climb from the entry point which is a slippery foot path (rains) but there were people sent down to collect our luggage from the bottom of the hill. Our children enjoyed the climb.
The safari itself was with Ibrahim and Yonno as our guide and cook. Both of them were excellent. Food was so good. We saw all the animals Big 5 and the rest. Only regret not spotting the Cheetah. The campsites we stayed in were well maintained although the first night was a bit scary with hyenas howling and lions roaring in the night. On the whole but for the breakdown of the Jeep on the way back to Ngorongoro it was an amazing holiday. We have never seen that many Wildebeasts, Zebras, Gazelles. We even managed to see several prides of Lions, a near kill and an after- kill feeding Lion.

I would definitely recommend them if you are on a budget and want good value for your money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank vanipraveen

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Justin organized our trip to Mount Meru and I can honestly say that he did an excellent job. We were picked up at our home on time and he organized everything so well that the only thing left for us to do was to actually climb the mountain. Justin is extremely attentive, always reachable and very friendly, which made the overall experience even more delightful. The service and price are unbeatable. Bottom line: we had an unforgettable trip with AHLA!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julian G
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The hostel is very rustic but Justin's hospitality makes up for the more primitive setting. The Arusha Adventure piece must be the best the Kilimanjaro world has to offer. We felt safe and justin made certain that the guides he hires are the very best in the business. The food provided was extrodiary and we were mentally supported throughout the entire trek. The guide that was hired to bring on on Safari had extensive knowledge of all that we were seeing and visiting.
Don't be fooled by the low cost. No expense is spared to insure that the Arusha experience will be one you will cherish for a lifetime.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I am a Canadian student from Montreal I climbed kilimanjaro with AHLA in june 2013 with a bunch of friends. I can honestly say it was a fantastic experience with stellar service at a great price! We all had a truly unforgettable experience. They cook all your food (delicious) for you on the mountain and get you all jacked up every morning with songs and dance with the porters, moments I'll never forget. Their number one goal is your success in the climb with regard to your health, of course. We got to be friends with our guides, Ask for Justin he's a great guy. From the moment we left the airport they took care of us. I will go back to tanzania as soon as I can get outa school all thanks to the great time they gave me, and I know I speak for My whole group

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Having stayed several times at this hostel, I can hand-on-heart say it is the best stay you will have in Arusha. Not only are you greeted with the most majestic views of the city landscape and endless skies, you will be given the warmest welcome by the owner, Justin; a man who will make every element of your stay a success. You cannot beat this place for friendly vibes, excellent company, unrivaled views and beautiful accommodation - a must stay in Arusha for any traveller.
(To get those views, you have to climb hills - that goes without saying - but this is one hill definitely worth the climb.)

Room Tip: Beautiful new bungalows with views out across the hills are well worth a look at; or stay in the mai...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed at AHLA the night before my hike to Kilimanjaro and the night after. The rooms are nice and the beds are comfortable. The lodge has a wonderful view of the entire city of Arusha, especially at night. It was a cozy, quiet place to say. It's a bit outside of the city center so it wasn't as noisy as some of the other lodges I've stayed at. Hot water is available in the morning and afternoon for showers and although their is a cut off of power after a certain time it usually happened after I was asleep anyway at around 11:30 or 12.
AHLA arranged my hike to Kilimanjaro and it was an incredible experience. The team of porters and guides that Justin (the owner) arranged were amazing. So warm, friendly and welcoming and always concerned with my health and how I was doing along the way. Every morning they would sing to me to cheer me on for the days hike. No other company on the mountain did that. On the worst days this helped me push through. After I made it to Uhuru peak they baked me a cake in the middle of one of our camp sites with nothing but a few ingredients and a small flame. I have no idea how they did it but it was the sweetest gesture and no other company did that. I could not have been more safe this this group of champion porters, guides and the cook. One of the greatest experiences of my life. I paid a fraction of the cost of what I would have paid for other companies and got so much more than I could have ever imagined. If you are looking for a company to climb Kili, look no further. AHLA is the only option.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My finance' and I stayed at this location for 7 nights.The trek up a mountain following 12hrs on a bus was not good news and in the dark is bloody dangerous. The host/owner Justin was pleasant enough, but frankly that is all that can be said about this place. The photographs do represent a true picture of the accommodation. There were initially no hot showers because he had no hot water boiler. Then when he did get a boiler, if Justin was not about as he frequently was not, then there was no hot water. The accommodation does not have 24 hr security and Justin will go off leaving the property UN-attended so if there is no guest about, then the property is open to be robbed. I had to chase off two youths who were looking to enter the property. When I took this up with Justin, he seemed disinterested. The property runs on solar power (a good green credential there), but there is in-sufficient battery power to accommodate all the guests staying there, so of an evening you end up sitting in the dark with headlamps on. Justin's flat mate made my finance' feel very much on edge with his constant glaring at her and eventually we decided to leave early because of this and his constant walking in and turning off the available power to the guests. I have to say, this was not a pleasant stay and I would advise people not to stay here. I have read the previous reviews on this accommodation and I frankly do not believe they are true or accurate. Justin, a would of advice, you are a young man trying to make a go of things and I admire you for that, but you must represent your property accurately.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple