“Experience is all about perspective”

Four Points by Sheraton Arusha, The Arusha Hotel
Ranked #10 of 45 Hotels in Arusha
Reviewed 20 August 2011

While there are those that review a "typical" experience or were looking for some "charm", may I pose the question, "WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TRAVELING?" This hotel could be pitted against the Ritz Carlton any day. It was lovely. The bathroom was EXQUISITE - after showering in a bucket for a month, I was very appreciative - and the mattress on the bed could have been my own at home. The food wasn't anything special, but located in the city centre allowed for plenty of venturing out. As any resort, prices were off the charts, but I was prepared. I stayed here on 2 separate occasions within a 2 month span. The first time I was upgraded free of charge (they could tell how tired I was), but the upgrade seem to get me a larger balcony, something I wasn't necessarily concerned about.

The pool area was BEAUTIFUL. Service was prompt and 1st class. Room service food was limited, but not devastating. The hotel is centrally located next to the clock tower, so there are many restaurants and shops you must visit. I was very pleased and I will definitely stay here if I am in Arusha again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank cnellie

Reviewed 21 July 2011

The staff were genuinely friendly and took a real interest in our wellbeing. The accommodation was of an extremely high standard and nothing was too much trouble. Both management, reception and waiting staff, went above and beyond what you would usually expect of any hotel, to ensure that our stay was as enjoyable as possible. The food, was good, and the wine list, recently updated I believe, was exceptional. It was my birthday during my stay and we opened a wonderful bottle of Don Perignon, a delight to find in any cellar around the world. I plan to stay at the Arusha Hotel whenever I am travelling to Tanzania.

Room Tip: Loved our room, we stayed in 708
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Being the oldest hotel in Arusha I was expecting some charm but found the entire place very bland. Decor was standard business class hotel decor. Room was comfortable with all the expected amenities but was a very cookie cutter type room that could have been duplicated anywhere on earth and wouldn't exactly be described as luxurious.

Staff were neither helpful nor unhelpful. Breakfast buffet was ok but had the most horrendous fish and chips served with an acrid coleslaw for dinner. It wasn't that the food was off, but there was absolutely no taste whatsoever to either the fish or the chips, so even the food was bland and without flavour.

There were frequent power outs beginning in the evening and the wifi stopped working at some point and wasn't fixed throughout the next day. A walk through the gardens was covered in the 2 minutes it took to cross the path from lobby to the pool. Overall, for what they charge, this hotel just isn't very good value.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank worldtraveller008
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We arrived at The Arusha Hotel around 11:30 PM local time after a 20 hour journey from Boston, MA. I had requested a room in the renovated section of the hotel and upon arrival, was informed that those rooms were no longer available. The room we were assigned contained two double beds and had a door that adjoined another guests room. The room was spacious and comfortable and the only irritating parts were the dim light and the blaring TV from the other guests room. Each bed also had it's own mosquito net, which was good.

The bathroom was ok. Again, this was the non-renovated section of the hotel, so I found the bathroom to be dimly lit and outdated. The toiletries were adequate and towels plenty.

The buffet breakfast the next morning reminded me of an irish style breakfast and was pretty good. The restaurant itself was very clean and the service was satisfactory. The hotel lobby is very richly decorated with ornate woodwork and hearty leather and upholstered chairs.

Overall, I would probably not go back to this hotel. If I had been in a different room my experience may have been different. Instead, it was definitely not the tranquil setting I was seeking after a long journey.

Room Tip: Insist on staying in the newer, remodeled section.
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank MichelleD_31
Reviewed 15 March 2011

The Arusha Hotel is the oldest hotel in Arusha, Tanzania and consequently exudes an old world, colonial feel. Its properly modernised with all mod cons but can not seem to make up its mind if it wants to be an old world colonial heritage hotel or a modern institutions. Food could definitely do with improvement as also the service in the bar and dining areas. The airconditioner in our room was not working properly and the tap in bathroom basin was at the point of falling off. In spite of a complaint nothing happened.

We stayed 2 nights prior to our departure on safari and the best that can be said is that its ok for 2 nights before you set off for bigger adventure.

It has a beautiful and bountiful garden - well worth investigating if you are into that sort of stuff.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
CatherineArusha, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Arusha, The Arusha Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

Thank you for your review and we are very sorry that you did not feel that your stay with us was unsatisfactory. We are looking at the issues that you have raised and please accept our apologies that your complaint was not dealt with. We are a historic hotel, being the oldest hotel in Tanzania, so we are trying to stay true to our heritage whilst providing our guests with the modern standards that are expected today. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 17 February 2011

Arriving at The Arusha Hotel on the 29th of December with 2 of my colleagues was a wonderful experience. I had travelled for over 10 hours from the UK and I was very pleased to be checked in so professionally and efficiently. All the staff made us feel very welcome from the minute we arrived by carrying our luggage to our rooms and offering us a glass of champagne at reception.

My room was very clean and spacious with a beautiful double bed that had been prepared for my evening arrival with a luxury chocolate on the pillow, mosquito net neatly wrapped and warm towels on the rail. I also had a stunning view of the hotel gardens and swimming pool at the rear which was a delight to look out onto every morning whilst listening to the tropical birds sing so eloquently.

The food was very good indeed throughout the day and consistent all week with an array of delightful menu options ranging from buttered chicken curry to steak and chips with a lovely sauce of your choosing to a fresh fish dish with all the trimmings. The service at the tables was always excellent, friendly and prompt.

Each day the ambiance of the hotel lobby was a delightful mixture of hustle and bustle and serene calm. A cool breeze would gently pass through from the main doors so when the sun was a little too hot in the middle part of the day, it was an ideal place to relax. With a cold beer or coffee in hand you could read the daily papers or reconnect with the outside world on the laptop via the hotels' wi-fi service.

It truly was a wonderful first trip to Africa which was only enhanced by our stay at The Arusha Hotel, which I will happily recommend to all my friends and family.

Chris Manning
www.thechrismanningprojects.co.uk

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Stayed here for two nights before safari, it’s conveniently located in the centre of town and approx. 45 mins from Kilimanjaro airport. The rooms were clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities, bottled water, TV (nothing much on it) and excellent air con. The staff were very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple