“Beautiful grounds, kind staff”
Review of The Arusha Hotel

The Arusha Hotel
Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Beautiful grounds, kind staff”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We kicked off our Mount Kilimanjaro climb by spending a couple of nights in the Arusha Hotel and returned here prior to beginning our safari. The grounds are beautifully maintained in this stately old hotel (established around the turn of the 20th century). Our room was clean and comfortable (even if our travel company had accidentally booked us in a two-bed room). Hot water was plentiful which was particularly important after coming down from the mountain.

Our trip was actually in January 2012, not December.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear LynneInMichigan,
Congratulations to you for climbing Kili !
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on your stay at The Arusha Hotel !
We have been quite busy during October so sorry if the receptionists could not move you to a Double rooms if the booking was initially for a Twin !
We sincerely hope to have you staying with us sometimes soon... Maybe for a pre/post-Safari stay or before you climb Mount Meru this time !
Best,
Iman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I've stayed at Arusha hotel for a week and I have only positive comments about the place.
This was my second time (previous visit was 6 years before) and I have seen a big improvement in the quality of the service.
The room was clean, the bed comfortable and everything was working properly but that was already good few years back.
What really impressed me on this trip is the improvement on the food. The breakfast was up to my expectations and the chef was really friendly. They have some really good Indian food as well on the menu and they have a buffet option that was really good as well.
They had a special Jazz night on Wednesday, the bar was full and the atmosphere really pleasant.
I will come back at Arusha hotel on my next trip in Arusha without any doubt and I will recommend it to my friends...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Juliettedives,
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions on Tripadvisor !
I am very much glad you enjoyed your stay at The Arusha hotel and hope to have you again with us sometimes soon !
We do indeed have a new Exec Chef and a great team that does her best to keep improving the quality of our buffets and our various Menus!
We also have just opened Freshly Ground, a Cafe Boulangerie Delicatessen in the Hotel Lobby !
Thank you again !
Florida
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We arrived without a booking and Josephat took care of us. We stayed in an executive room and it had a lovely view of the gardens. It was quiet, clean with lots of hot water and great air-conditioning. Festus took care of me while calling for safari drivers, the airline changes, exchanging cash for $1.00 or any other problem I could not solve by myself. I would like to thank both men who were professional, courteous and extremely helpful. Most guests were expats coming to or from safari's in Tanzania. The hotel is across the street from a grocery store. I will miss the Tanzanian coffee and hospitality and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Upgrading to the executive room was a good idea (we had Room 704); the standard rooms are more basic...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Michelle B
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Michelle B,
Thank you very much for your comment !
Josephat and Festus as well as the rest of the team are indeed very helpful and friendly and we are really glad that you mentioned this !
I really hope that you will have the chance to come back sometimes soon to Tanzania. If you miss Coffee, The Arusha Hotel will be the best place for that ! We have a new Café Boulangerie opening this week !
Have a great week and thank you again for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor !
Imani
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2013

After traveling 24 hrs we upgraded to a suite. We arrived at midnight so we were quite tired. At first blush, the room appears lovely, however that's where it ends. As we were getting into bed we noticed the sheets were dirty and they had never been changed. Same for the towels. The housekeeper came to the room and changed the sheets. But she stripped the bed and said she had to wash the sheets and bring them back. Really? There isn't a spare set of sheets in the whole hotel? Then when she did return, she didn't bother putting on the top sheet, she just replaced the fitted and comforter. On top of that, she only replaced some of the dirty towels , not all of them, which i found out the hard way. Never make assumptions, double check the work. She asked if we wanted to replenish our bowl of fresh fruit, we said yes and she never came back. She never cleaned the room, she only wiped it down. In the bathroom, there is a stand up shower and bath tub. She never cleaned the tub once. The hair from the previous person was there the whole entire time. We finally figured out that the reason the rooms are so filthy is because there are no cleaning supplies. When you walk by the housekeeping cart, there is nothing on it to clean. Just some dirty rags. We told reception and they were in different. We paid twice the price of a standard room, we expected at least clean sheets and towels, maybe even an apology. On top of that the pool was under construction. Some of the reviews are glowing, which is one of the reasons we selected this hotel. But that was not our experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clemmy5213
Hillsborough, California
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We were booked into this hotel for one night prior to the start of our safari. The hotel staff is very welcoming and I have to say that the dinner we had in the restaurant upon our arrival was one of the best in our two weeks in Tanzania - surprising since we ate very late and were the only people in the place! The menu has three cuisines - Tanzanian (which my son and I ate from), Indian (which my husband and other son ate from) - and English style. Tons of menu choices as well - it surprised us. On our return we had a day room here - we were all looking so forward to eating there... but sadly there is only a buffet option at lunch and it was not very good - or varied. The rooms are very worn - the bathrooms are not great - tiny and I had to call down for towels and soap! Make sure you understand how to use the air conditioner - we arrived late at night and I could not find the controls - of course in the morning I saw a hand held control right beside the bed! I would not stay here again - it was fine though but just a basic hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Remembertoenjoy
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were met by staff with a hot washcloth and a flute glass of juice. The rooms were spacious and had lovely wood floors. Great shower! Ask for a room not overlooking the street since it is loud and busy. Great food in the restaurant and lovely setting over the gardens. Lots of staff around to assist you.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights and each day was quiet memorable. Right from the warm greetings from the reception staff, then ushered to my room which over looked the Manicured gardens which was spacious and impeccably clean. Meals times was a thing to always look out for. Fantastic array of breakfast options and spoil't for choice. As a coffee expert I have approved the coffee's served as world class from filter coffee to Amazing Macchiatos to frothy Cappuccinos and velvety Mochas to mention but a few. The management team and staff were very hospitable. Yes I would come again and again and wouldn't hesitate to highly recommend The Arusha Hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear Pete O,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share you impressions on TripAdvisor !
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you for your next trip to Arusha !
Best,