“Very comfortable”

Ranked #10 of 41 Hotels in Arusha
Surfers Paradise, Australia
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

3 nights here on business and an excellent oasis with good food and wines to return to. Cold, cold beers - baridi sana is what to ensure in Swahili. Curry menu and other dinners I can't remember were all good and breakfast to a high quality level. Rooms a bit dark but aircon and TV, once I replaced the battery in the remote, worked fine.

Good sized bathroom but why is it that bathroom designers never seem to stay in the rooms they design. Bath quite high to access the shower for an older person, no bath mat and slippery, towel rail banged into neck while showering. Still I've had worse when the toilet has been designed by a person with no right arm. Or left depending on your layout.

Quiet hotel, spread out with nice gardens and not far from most of what passes for a CBD in Arusha.

Room Tip: I was away from the roads in a separate building and very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Buccaneer-001
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Buccaneer 001,
Thank you so much for sharing your comments on TA Community.
So glad you enjoyed our Hotel and its facilities !
Sorry about the little inconvenience ... I like your comments about the bathrooms though ... this is exactly why we are doing some changes to have sliding doors instead of the regular ones (that is the reason why some of them lack of space).
Thank you ! Please do not hesitate to contact me directly next time you want to stay with us (marketing@thearushahotel.com)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

The hotel is a beautiful property, in a lush garden, but then you go into your room (I may have been unlucky in block 4) and you just feel like opening up windows and giving the place a good make over. The shower however was one of the best I have had in East Africa. The pool and gym are fine as well as the bar downstairs where you can have snack type meals, but the main restaurant and the reception service are just frustrating.

Room Tip: I had a room in block 4, in the middle of the garden, it was nice because you could open the window...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Targoviste, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2014

I only stayed here for one night. I cannot say I made a certain opinion about it, or that I've seen all that this hotel had to offer. The room was clean ( although a little dark), spacious, a big bed, tv and minibar. The hotel offers free wifi in the lounge area. The food seemed ok, we only had breakfast since the previous night we arrived very late. Staff friendly. Hotel grounds well kept.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Aerandria,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on our TA Page.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay, we sure do have other things to offer... a large variety of rooms, a pool, a gym, wonderful gardens ... I am just surprised you had WiFi in the lounge only cause is available complimentary in the whole hotel each and every floor.
Looking forward to hosting you again sometimes soon !
Iman
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

1) The AC in our room was blowing steady 80F (as shown by the indicator on the AC). It was not reacting at all to the remote control. We could not even turn it off, so we had to sleep (or try to sleep) in a hot room with loud and useless AC on.
2) The food in the hotel restaurant was the worst we had on the whole trip. Even in a camp, in a tent kitchen, the cooks were doing much better job. Onion soup had nothing to do with what onion soup should be. Just boiled onions in a brown broth. Speaking of broth - both onion soup and oxtail soup tasted and looked exactly the same - whatever canned broth the cook used was the same broth - dark brown oversalted yuck.
The main dishes - chewy meat, undercooked veggies.
3) We were leaving the hotel early in the morning and requested a breakfast to go. Several times I asked for it - before arrival via email (and the manager conformed), and upon arrival in person, at the front desk - the manager wrote down the request again. Promised us the boxed breakfast would be waiting for us at the front desk. Guess what - the morning manager had no idea about the request and no breakfast for us.

Room Tip: Do not book at this hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie V
Dear Valerie,
Thank you for your comment and for sharing your experience.
We are sorry we fell short on meeting the mark with you. Please do not hesitate to send me an email to marketing@thearushahotel,com, I would be grateful if you could give me more details. I would love for example to know if you have mentioned this AC to the receptionists ? We do check every single room before arrival so this is absolutely unacceptable. Looking forward to reading you.
Sorry again and have a lovely day.
I hope we will have the chance to host you again sometimes soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed here one night on my way back from a safari. The hotel is pretty spread out & doesn't have a typical hotel feel. Well kept grounds. Staff were very friendly and prompt in helping. They even sent someone out with me to shop for Tanzanite (although I only asked if someone would direct me to the Tanzanite Experience where you supposedly get to learn about it). Seemed like a happening place especially in the lobby area. Think they had a conference or two & of course safari planning, pickup /drop off activities.
The food was great!. I had the dinner buffet. It was excellent. Lots of options. Loved the beef and mushroom pie + a few local dishes. Good breakfast options as well with a few local flavors if you want to try them out. Can't complain about the food. Wi-Fi was frustrating in the room.

My only disappointment was the area itself. I stepped out for a bit only to be approached by random people constantly. Didn't feel like I could just wander around and see things. Guess it happens just about anywhere if you look like a typical tourist :-). I probably should've read up & planned it better (my only advice if you happen to have time to kill & want to do something). Don't rely on asking someone at the hotel for advice. Not sure if the experience would've been the same if I had stayed elsewhere.

I did visit the cultural heritage center on my way to the hotel. Definitely enjoyable even if you don't want to buy anything. You can mill about and look at all the amazing crafts (some very expensive!). The art museum next door was great. I was surprised there weren't more people there.

The hotel was booked as part of the safari, so I'm not sure how comparable it is in terms of value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NC G
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear NC G,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on our TA page.
We are glad you enjoyed everything about your stay from Staff friendliness to food !
Sorry about the WiFi we have the best connection in town but did experience few problems in November ... all sorted now !
Regarding the location, we are situated in thecenter of Arusha Town - The clock tower roundabout used to symbolize the exact center of the British Empire from Cairo to Cape. Today, it is more of a very busy area with shops, offices, banks that make the area constantly busy ! ... and it is true that sometimes some street sellers tend to kind of bother tourists trying to sell all sort of things ...
Cultural Heritage is indeed an amazing place... A wonderful Ali baba's cave!
Looking forward to having you staying with us sometimes soon !
Best,
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We found this historic hotel delightful. The food was excellent; the beds were comfortable and swathed in mosquito netting; the gardens were lush. Staff was not overly attentive, but we really did not have particular needs.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suzanne L
Dear Suzanne,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on our TA Page,
I hope you enjoyed your experience in the hotel despite this little issue you have raised about the Staff. We do our best to continuously train all the team members to make sure we exceed all our guests needs - both corporate and leisure visitors.
We sincerely hope we will have the chance to host you again sometimes soon and make your experience even better !
Who knows maybe for another safari sometimes soon ?
Best,
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the arusha hotel as a family in late December.the rooms were comfortable and grounds beautiful.however I had issues with their customer service on all fronts which needs much more improvement.Once this is looked into,we will be back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jemmugo
ArushaArusha, Director of Sales at The Arusha Hotel, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear Jemmugo,
Thank you for sharing your experience on our TA page.
It would be great if you could let me know per email what have occurred during your stay that made you doubt customer service (marketing@thearushahotel,com). Indeed we do our best to please every single guest and are permanently seeking to improve our service, therefore more details would be great!
We are really sad we did not meet the mark on this occasion!
All the best for 2014 !